Jump to content

Moe

Established Member
  • Posts

    132
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Moe

  1. So I had a situation with my partner yesterday. 2man system, runner at first, 18+ league. I am PU. Ball was hit to outfield, I had the runner rounding third and coming home. He missed third on his way. When the ball was sent back to the pitcher, he threw the ball to his third baseman who was standing on third saying they want to appeal. I called the runner out, and the run doesn't score. At the end of the inning, my partner was talking to the pitcher and third baseman on "how to do a proper appeal". He said that the pitcher had to be on the rubber, come set, step off, then make the throw, so the appeal they did wasn't valid and should not have been granted. I said that that doesn't fit with my memory on how to do an appeal properly, my partner has been umpiring for around 30+ years, so I trust him, and two) if the appeal should not be granted, why didn't he come to me and say that so I wouldn't call a runner out and take a run off the board. I have two questions: 1) If the ball is not dead, does the pitcher need to be on the rubber then step off to initiate an appeal? I thought he had to be on the rubber just to make the ball live so he could step off and make the throw. 2) Should/would you approach me if you believe that I granted an illegal appeal, or would you let the call stand and basically tell the players that they did it wrong?
  2. I have had a few times where as the PU,I will be waiting for the batter to come set on a dead ball with my hand telling the pitcher to stop but the pitcher will pick off at a base. My partner would call the runner out. The first time it happened, I went to him and said that I had a dead ball, but the last time, same partner, I just yelled "Ball is still dead!" It makes me look like an idiot when my partner doesn't know when the ball is in play and when it is not.
  3. Moe

    Mask Porn?

    @rjt6 LOL I got that thanks I do like that extended guard on the top, but will probably cut off the throat guard...
  4. Moe

    Mask Porn?

    That's it! Thanks. Maybe my next mask will be a tribute to Bell. Was such a fan...
  5. Moe

    Mask Porn?

    Does anyone know what this mask is? It looks different than anything I have seen. If I need a new mask, thinking of getting it because I was such a fan of Wally Bell. http://m.mlb.com/video/v27330273/ladmil-homeplate-ump-bell-takes-foul-ball-off-mask/?c_id=mlb
  6. Just did a game that was scheduled to start at 9. It was an 18+ league at my local association. They are having their annual tournament this weekend and have a strict time limit. Our league rules say that if they don't have 7 players at the start of the game, we wait 15 minutes before calling a forfeit. I arrived at the field at 8:20 to do the plate in the semi-final, my partner got there around 8:45. We arrived at the field 10 minutes before 9. I spoke to the organizer of the tournament who is also the convener of that division and he said that we don't have the 15 minute grace period because of the tournament. One team had 4 players and were certain that another 4 were on their way. I did a plate meeting giving them the usual rules; jewelry ( I know, it's a city rule) no running the catcher, everybody in full uniform, etc... 9 o'clock came and the convener came on the field and said that the game if forfeit. The players went ballistic. They were yelling at the convener and us. I originally told my partner that I had no problem playing a scrimmage game after the forfeit, but after everybody started yelling and carrying on, I told my partner that we're leaving. On our way to our changing room, a few players from the team were getting out of their cars and they started yelling at us. "I hope you're proud of yourself!" "This league is SH*#!" "You suck you fat c*nt!" I just ignored them and went to the change room to get changed and I was going to go home, but I remembered that I had to drop the balls off at the shack and I got more SH*# from the field asking why I'm not doing the game, even for a scrimmage. I spoke to the convener and said that I have no problem getting flak from people on the field, within reason or course, but to get yelled at and whatnot when the game gets forfeited and I'm walking to the change room is bullSH*#. On a lighter note' I still have the championships later today for a three man game, won't lie, I'm kinda excited, this will be the third time I do a three man game, Thoughts?
  7. Didn't happen in my game, but a manager/board member asked me a question after one of my games. He said that during one of his teams games (U10), his runner successfully stole second, but at the next pitch he took a lead off of second towards first. He said that he knew the pitcher and was trying to mess him up. I said that I can't think of an exact rule, and I later checked, saying that he couldn't do it, but he would have to make sure he touched second to go to third, and that he is not on a base so he is eligible to be put out. I also said that, had I been the BU, that I would just tell him to get back on the base because to me, that's unsportsmanlike conduct. Thoughts?
  8. Moe

    Request approved

    I had to toss the President of our league. I don't think he wants to manage, but he almost has to because there are so few people who are willing to do it. I tossed him, I sent my ejection report to my umpire in chief, as I always do, I also usually sent it to him, so I did, but also sent it to the vice-President and both conveners for that league as well. You gotta cover you backside.
  9. 80$... I think I'll pass... I think I'll buy a Mizuno.
  10. Where would on acquire a Spyder TG?
  11. My favorite was on NHL 2001 for PS1: If you left the game paused for a bit, it would say "hi fans, be sure to check your ticket stubs for valuable tips on how to cheat on your taxes."
  12. I got mine from ump-attire.com and like I say, they are pretty stiff. I'll try them this season and see if they soften up. Season starts Monday so I'll be weighing in.
  13. I have TW on two of my masks and Wilson wrap-around pads on my Diamond. I have yet to wear any of my pads in a game, because I did all my changed this off season, but I fin the TW pads to be extremely stiff. I'm kinda worried about that, the leather Wilsons are actually softer, I didn't expect that. Will the TW soften up because now, they feel like hunks of plastic with fabric wrapped around them.
  14. I stand in the GD stance until the pitch comes, then I put my hands behind my thighs. This is a personal choice of nice, I know I will get locked in better if I keep my hands there, but I am a pianist and music teacher in my day job, so I don't think broken fingers will benefit me.
  15. With your price range, you should look to spend like 20$ more and get the All-Star FM 4000. If not, the All-Star FM2000 is still an amazing mask. The 4000 is a silver frame, but the brilliance will discipate after a while. The all-pads are black for umpires, but their stock pads are the best stock pads in the business. I put TW pads on mine, but they are great. If you want a HSM, you wont find anything in your price range that offers any type of protection. You should look into the All-star MVP headgear. Not as well versed in those because I only have the mask. The diamond: http://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Masks/DFM-BL-SV_Diamond-Big-League-Umpire-Mask-Silver is a good mask, light, and good protection, but what ever you do, REPLACE THOSE PADS!!! Put TW pads on it. It is a good mask, but I prefer the All-star 4000 because it is quite lighter than the diamond.
  16. Moe

    Mask Porn?

    This is my alternate mask. I'm thinking of cutting off the bottom throat guard and just using a hanging throat guard. I can't find a spider, but I might use the wide mizuno. Thoughts? Will it compromise the welds of the bottom of the mask? I've only ever seen this mask by pros have the bottom cut off, it seems to get in the way and I think I would rather have a hanging guard. I don't want to do something so drastic because I can't go back, so I was hoping for some suggestions.
  17. Moe

    Mask Porn?

    Didn't know Adidas made a helmet. I used to have that Rawlings, and it's a tank. I swear that think was indestructible.
  18. Moe

    Mask Porn?

    Yep! there are a few guys who went away from the Nike this season .... Laz and Hallion are the two that stand out to me now. Yes, those All-Star pads have a unique color to them,... he must have liked that "luggage" look What's Hallion wearing now? Dynalite With two tone wrap around pads if my memory serves me? With a sun visor?
  19. Moe

    Mask Porn?

    Just want to say that I was watching the Houston Seattle game yesterday (21/04/14) and Laz Diaz was wearing a Wilson (looks like hollow steel) with black wrap around pads. He finally got rid of the Nike with those ugly ass All-star pads! The Nike TI was nice, but those pads were interesting
  20. Moe

    Strike Zone

    I was planning on doing this as soon as the infernal snow melts. I was going to go to the cages as soon as they open. Should I work on it in the cages or do I do it with pitching?
  21. Moe

    Strike Zone

    Ya, the catchers are horrible in the games I do. Should I still call strikes even if the catcher boxes it out?
  22. Moe

    Strike Zone

    23in wide zone? Really?
  23. Moe

    Strike Zone

    The level of ball I call is an open men's league. Its open to anyone 18+. The baseball is actually pretty good. There are a few former NCAA guys and a few former Varsity league guys. I call it rulebook: Over the plate, no lower than the hollow beneath the knees and no higher than the mid-point between the belt and the shoulders. Like I say, I MIGHT be a little small on the outside corner. I want to maybe give the pitcher a little bit more on the outside edge.
  24. Moe

    Strike Zone

    Why is it small? If it is, then do change it and call the whole zone per the rule book. A pitcher shouldn't have to change where he pitches from one umpire to the next because some guys won't call a pitch a strike if it's above the belt or this one has an admitted small zone. Why is it small? I heard a parent say, rather loudly the other day, call either the low strike or high strike, you can't call both. Why not? A strike is a strike is a strike. Call the whole zone. It's that simple. My zone is more of a feeling than anything. I try to the best of my abilities to call it as per the rulebook. I think that it might be that my zone is small compared to everyone else in my association. When I was younger, I made conscious efforts to make the zone exactly as it is in the rulebook, but my association tells me to make it wider. I don't think I have trouble with the outside, I think that I could be a little more forgiving to the pitcher on the outside.
  25. Moe

    Strike Zone

    I have a bit of a hard time with my outside corner. That's why I said it's maybe a little smaller than I would like. But it is consistent.
×
×
  • Create New...