Jump to content

GoodOldGus

Inactive
  • Posts

    125
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GoodOldGus

  1. Sounds like you handled it well. Your response after he asked the other coach was appropriate and, in my opinion, a pseudo-warning. Since the coach went away without incident, I think an ejection would have been a bit much.
  2. Make the darn tag AT THE BAG....for goodness sakes!! (sorry....old coaching habits die hard).
  3. No fence in RF and a corner of the running track "cuts into" RF. A ball that lands ON or OVER the track was considered a HR. A ball that rolls onto or over was considering a ground rule double.
  4. I did a Varsity game between two conference rivals battling for a conference championship. It was on "live radio" which is a big deal for some smaller schools and conferences. Game went pretty well. The losing team didn't like some of my strike calls in the late innings, but that had more to do with the score than the actual pitches. While walking to our vehicle after the game, we got a "horrible game blue" from the losing fans and about 20 steps later we got a "great game blue" from winning fans. I'll never forget it for the rest of my umpiring career. It really puts things in perspective when it comes to fan comments etc. I can get a pretty good "feel" about each game. How was the flow? How did I(we) handle any close plays or issues? How often did the coaches have to come onto the field etc.
  5. Yep...CP is sold. This thread can be locked.
  6. Price dropped to $100 includes shipping.
  7. Nothing better than a good catcher and nothing worse than a bad one!!!
  8. I would consider reasonable offers as well. Please PM me with offers or questions. Thanks!
  9. FOR SALE: All-Star System 7 Chest Protector (size L - 15"). I've owned this CP for almost two years and have used it for 30-40 games. Overall in great shape. The top of the logo has faded a bit, but everything else is great. Asking $110 (shipping included).
  10. You need to wear the NB between the NB jock and the compression shorts/pants. This is the best combination and it works well for me. This year I've gone strictly to compression pants (heat gear for summer weather) and I've noticed that I need to make sure the pants are pulled all the way up. For us bigger guys (I have thunder thighs!), the compression pants can be a challenge to get all the way up, so to speak.
  11. I've really hated the phrase "take the bat out of the hitter's hands".....it's always rubbed me the wrong way.
  12. Bob has all the makings of a veteran umpire that has umpired a few seasons too long.
  13. I'll take the Platinum CP. Pm sent. Thanks!
  14. Any interest in trading for an All-Star System 7 CP?
  15. I guess what I don't understand is, especially with this specific play, MLB is getting exactly what they want. The runner could have easily crashed into the catcher, but he slid instead. Why doesn't MLB just take the OUT and move on!??! The rule, at least in this case, seems to be working perfectly. The MLB is getting in their own way when the reverse calls like this.
  16. I ran into a few left handers this season where they start bringing their leg up before their hands are set. This is fine if they go directly to first for a possible pick off, but if they continue their action towards the plate it's an obvious balk.
  17. @Jayumpref19 Not true......The pitcher must contact the rubber with her hands apart, BUT the ball can be in her glove or in her pitching hand. There is nothing in the rule book (Fed and ASA) that says she must "present the ball" in her pitching hand. She must, however, bring her hands together for at least one second prior to pitching. This is often confused with "presenting the ball".
  18. We get the luxury of seeing replays, but does anyone NOT see a tag attempt and the ball in the throwing hand of the defensive player? Wouldn't that make the runner SAFE? In real time, this is hard to see but after watching it a few times the defender barely makes an attempt at a tag not to mention the ball is in his throwing hand and not in his glove.
  19. I was taking a few extra shots earlier this year, mostly in the mask. I realized that I wasn't quite in the slot, but behind the catcher more than usual. I made an adjustment and have noticed a decrease of shots. Might be worth some consideration?
  20. GoodOldGus

    OUCH!

    I took a "55 footer" right square in the Nutty Buddy last night as well. Two batters later, a foul ball hits a field light and it explodes showering the score table and the home team on deck circle. It made that very distinctive POP sound you hear when a light bulb breaks. I joked with one of the assistants about how similar the two sounds were (me getting hit in the NB vs. the light breaking). We had a good laugh. NB preformed flawlessly by the way!
  21. Confidence in yourself and in your actions!! Good luck and don't suck!
  22. I use the "hammer" for my strike calls when working the plate. One night I was on the bases and had a routine play at first base and I yelled "STRIKE!!!!!!" instead of out while doing the out mechanic. The first baseman and I had a good laugh!
  23. Cue the "circus theme" music!! What out for the tent poles and elephant dung!!
  24. @Jocko I agree! Had this happen the other night. One catcher was sticking (framing) the pitches towards the bottom of the zone and the other catcher was really pulling his glove up into the zone. It really was the "tale of two catchers". Guess who got the benefit of the doubt most of the time
×
×
  • Create New...