Jump to content

semper_fi_72

Inactive
  • Posts

    1,686
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    22

Everything posted by semper_fi_72

  1. Consult with your local Community College. They may have a home economics class you can take to learn how to iron. Either that or a year hitch in any branch of the military will make you proficient with a iron.
  2. Just saying 9U does indicate a level of play. I work 9U games for USSSA games and the teams are really good. We work 2 man on those and I am never bored. What does CERTIFIED mean? I work High School, Little League, PONY, USSSA and Adult Leagues and no one has ever asked if I was certified. How can I get to be a card carrying Certified Umpire?
  3. Thought you were going to end it with "When I woke up this morning I realized it was just a nightmare"....lol
  4. How can you be watching a game and not know what teams were playing? To many beers after working games....:)
  5. With a hard shell your hear the hit and never feel it!!!! I always love taking a good shot and being asked if I am ok becasue of the racket it made. I just reach into the ball bag and throw another ball to the pitcher. Lets Play :shakehead:
  6. As a 20 year Veteran myself, I commend you for what you do to support and assist homeless veterans. I just wish the general public had showed the support they show today back when I first enlisted in the early 70's during a un-popular war. Not that our present war in Iraq or Afghanistan are popular, but regardless, the general public now supports the Troops even if they do not support the war or what our government is doing. There are many Veteran Rights and Programs that have been eroded over time. As with many things, our government always does the bare minimum when ever it can. Thanks to all for your support of our troops regardless of how you express that support. The support of Family, Friends and total strangers means more to our Troops and Veterans than anything our government does.
  7. catoblue There should be a Tournament Director and a Official Score Keeper sitting at a table right behind the back stop. They should have a rule book on the table and when a question arises they make the determination. Should be no need to get a copy of a rule book from a coach. Should that ruling not satisfy the coach then they contact the District Administrator and then Regional Headquarters immediately to get the proper ruling. Minus the humidity, the heat wave back east sounds like a normal Summer day here in San Bernardino, California.
  8. Second the Wilson Charcoal. I wear it from LL Minors up through Varsity HS and Adult Ball. I am 5'9 165 and I love it. Have never felt a hit in it.
  9. I indicated the problem in BOLD above. We are not on the field to " Look COOL" we are out there to be professional and to call the game. You were out of position and trying to be cool instead of umpiring.
  10. +1 The key here is the crew is in "Uniform" fancier, military word for "Matching". Support Our Troops.
  11. +1 The coach was right and you were wrong on this one. Hope you didn't roar to load.
  12. If your working 100 + games a year with him you should be able to talk to him. If he is having personal problems you can sympathize with him but remind him when he steps on the field it is like any other job, he has to leave his personal problems behind and work the game professionally. If he can't do that he needs to take the time off until he can. We all have bad days and periods in our life. Don't refuse to work with him, try to help him work out the problem if you can. We are all Brothers of the Blue.
  13. I don't see a need for a "Sweat Proof" bag. Never seen anyone seat that much that their ball bags got wet. I prefer Smitty Ball bags and highly recommend them.
  14. I just can't envision this. I have had catchers set up inside on some pitches and you just have to adjust to over the top of them for that pitch. What I hate is a batter you set-ups close to the plate with their hands out over the plate blocking your view of the pitcher while your trying to pick up the release of the ball. You can't tell a batter to move. As with a catcher moving and setting up in different positions, you just have to adjust to get a position you can see and follow the pitch. I might get screened on a check swing with the catchers glove in front of my face, but I know the location of the pitch without any doubt.
  15. When I tick off my GF she just rings me up on a called 3rd strike now and if I continue to say anything the EJ follows quickly.:BD:
  16. We could use a chat room capability on the site if it is at all possible. Then we really could have Umpire Anonymous meetings online....lol
  17. Punch him out on that call.
  18. You raised him correctly and should be proud. A teenager with a dependable work ethic is rare.
  19. Welcome :cheers:
  20. It can be trouble when those that think they knew it all don't think they need to pre-game. Their experience in 2 man does not transfer to 3 or 4 man crews. You have to think ahead of what you will do if X happens to ensure you override reflexes to move in a direction you have done all year long in two man. mstaylor is correct in saying you need enough time to do a proper pre-game. I have been assigned as Crew Chief to several TOC and All Star games. I have everyone show up 1 hour before game time and we go over coverage and rotations, several times. Even if we have worked together before. As said discuss any missed rotation ASAP between innings. Sure is nice when a play is over and you take a look at everyone's position after they have rotated and noticed that everyone is in the proper spot.
  21. That is how I was taught and work. LH Batter C RH Batter B Better look for check swing is one of the reasons.
  22. Congrats Don't make it any less subtle. Don't suck for a umpire is equivalent to Break a Leg for a performer.
  23. So you don't expand your strike zone on the winning team when you have a blow out? Stealing every out possible is a figure of speech. I don't seem to have a perception or creditability problem in this area or any other area since I have built what I believe is a solid reputation and when I show up to work a game, everyone is very happy.
  24. Buy what ever is the biggest can on sale when you buy it!!!!
  25. I really hate that term and do not believe it belongs in umpiring. As umpires we do not punish. We follow the penalty for a infraction of the rules under the penalty authorized by the rules. Under your situation there was no infraction of rules, therefore you have no penalty to enforce. Also on the request for time from coaches after a player slides into the base to allow them to get up and back on the base protected. Remember a request for "Time" is just that a request. You do not have to grant it. The coaches should be teaching their players to climb the ladder and get back on base without needing Time.
×
×
  • Create New...