Jump to content

semper_fi_72

Inactive
  • Posts

    1,686
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    22

Everything posted by semper_fi_72

  1. I 2nd the post of: Never, Never, ever take your eye off the ball. Unless you know where the ball is, you do not know where the play will develop or you will get in the way. This was preventable.
  2. th3 We are always learning and in some cases making mistakes. I recently worked a minor softball game and there had been R1 and R2 who became R2 and R3 on a pass ball. Ball gets popped up into the infield. Well, I yelled out infield fly rule...Opppps Sometimes you just kick it. No one questioned so you must have sold the call.
  3. Armgdnman Hats go by stitches. If you look at the bill of your hat you can count the rows of stitching it has on it. 8 stitch - 8 rows of stitching Base Hat (Regular Bill) 4 and 6 - Plate Hats (Shorter Bills) Hope that helps. I prefer Richardson Flex Fits as my head is to big for a 6 n 7/8 and to small for a 7....lol
  4. I tore my right calf muscle a week and half ago. Last night I went out and worked a LL Junior game. Made the 2 man crew a 3 man for the game, to see if my leg was ready to return to the diamond. I am wearing a compression sleeve on it for additional support. Made sure I stretched really good and had no problems with getting around. Only problem was that while I worked as U1 I wound up having to EJ a player and then a Manager. Player for Unsportsmanlike conduct and the Manager for continuing to argue the call. Player was picked off at 1B. Manager was in 3B Coaching Box. Player used a few words I won't repeat after I punched him out. Manager continued to state I was screwing him with my calls after I told him that was enough twice. BTW....His 1B coach, that became the Acting Manager, said the kid was out after I EJ the manager. Think the manager ever asked him.... Have the dish on a important game that can effect a league championship tonight and am putting out a 4 man crew for the game. We will have fun Glad to be back :FIRE:
  5. Jboyal Since your league does not assign Umpires to Machine Pitch and you just volunteered to work the game, I still do not know a league that uses Umpires for Machine Pitch. I would also say that you should not be working any game that your son is playing in. That is called a "Conflict of Interest". That will cause you additional problems at some time. We have a Umpire who has a son that plays on a Major team. We won't even allow him to work a Major game in that league. As far as old farts that can't move, don't know how old you are, but at 55 I would bet I can run and move as good as if not better than you. 123 games under my belt for 2010, with 7 more over the next 3 days. Adult, High School, USSSA, PONY and Little League. If your worried about getting into position to make a good call, wait till you work 1 Man at a higher level of ball and you are hustling to call everything when the ball is really moving. If the ball is barely hit hard enough to get out of the infield you should have plenty of time to get the proper Angle and Distance to make a call, on any base, by using the proper Positioning. Those positions are standardized for many reasons and one is safety of yourself and players. One of the reasons to work outside on the small diamond for Little League is so you are not in front of infielders and therefore not a distracting to them trying to field a ball. That presence at their age can influence a play and a game. :clap:
  6. You got it right. If it is unintentional, let it go. Obviously your assignor is not a umpire.:cheers:
  7. Actually they probably happened before, you are just now more aware and actually seeing them to call them.
  8. Jboval First You are correct and in correct. 9.03 (a) If there is only one umpire, that umpire must be an adult and shall have complete jurisdiction in administering the rules. This umpire may take any position on the playing field which will enable said umpire to discharge all duties (usually behind the catcher, but sometimes behind the pitcher if there are runners.) If you are working Machine Pitch...fine and dandy, but I do not know many programs that use Umpires for T-Ball or Machine Pitch which is a non-competitive, instructional division that use Umpires. It is a waste of time and since Jr Umpires can not work without an Adult Umpire on the field, it is a waste of an "Umpires" time. Second Please get yourself a copy of the book I recommended to Armgdnman so you can be more knowledgeable. I would hate to see you take Rule 9.03(a) (The way you feel about working where you want) onto a 60' diamond during a real Minor or Major Game. If I am the PU, I will be sending you home and be working work it solo from behind the dish.
  9. Armgdnman Some the info you have been given so far is totally bogus. First of all LL does not call for Umpires in Machine Pitch. Umpires are only called for in competitive levels, which is Minor and above. Little League publishes a book, which is actually 2 books in one. It is "The Umpire in Little League: and "Make the Right Call" The casebook of Little League Baseball and Softball. It has positioning for two and three man mechanics for 60' and 90' diamonds. You should be able to get that from your League UIC or order it from your Regional HQ or WP. Basically if you are familiar with working regular mechanics on a 90' then: For Minor and Major 60' Diamond. Positions for B and C are relatively the same as working a 90'. Remember adjust your stance and position to watch for a runner leaving early. Second, even though you are starting from an outside position, get inside on any ball hit out of the infield, quickly. Remember as always, Angle first then close the Distance as possible. If I can be of any further assistance contact me by Private Message. Remember...Have Fun and Be Loud out there!!!!!!
  10. Exactly carolinablue Juniors are suppose to play better than Majors, yet that 1 added inning is trouble. I am completing Major games in 1:30. Even had a Major game go 7 innings and was done in 1:35. 1-0, solo HR in top of 7th. To me the kids in Majors are more interested in playing baseball then Juniors are. Does anyone else notice this? I work USSSA Games and 13U play 7 innings and have a 1:45 limit. A few weeks ago, we got one of those games done in 1:20. Please double check with the League UIC or President about the time limit.
  11. No Time Limit!!!!! Every league here in our District has a 2 Hour no new inning for Major and Juniors. The only time the time limit would not be used is if there is a tie and there is no game scheduled afterward to start. Then the only factor is curfew for the appropriate age group. You need to check with your local league UIC or President. I have never worked a game Little League, USSSA, High School, PONY or Adult that did not have a time limit. Adult League I work has a no new after 3:05 for nine innings. Yes in accordance with 4.17 the opposing manager can select a player to re-enter. I ran into this once this year already. What the heck was the final score? If that league does not have a time limit now, they sure need to start using one. I would also reach down and look at your game management. You need to be getting the kids and coaches to hustle at all times.
  12. I love the white plate shoes!!! Where can we get them.
  13. Got a call on this one today. Little League Majors R1 with no outs. Batter hits a shot to RF. Batter is very slow runner and R1 is fast. R1 comes all the way around to score while BR is only at 1B. Throw back to plate, which is way late and up the line, hits the next batter who should not have been out of the dugout. BR then runs to 2B and is safe easily. A protest was filed by VM after the Umpires Ruling, which was: He allowed the score to score and placed the BR back on 1B. His reasoning was the run scored before the interference and the BR only went to 2B on the interference. The protest will not be heard anyway since the VM won the game easily. So, now that I threw this out, what would you have done and why? Besides ruling on R1 and the BR, one thing I may have done was EJ a coach for not supervising his dugout and allowing a kid to enter the field during a live ball.
  14. 1. Two Base Award. 2. Balk. He can not Fake to 3B and then throw to 1B without disengaging. 3. Balk
  15. As in another post, my worst inury is now a torn calf muscle. When I torn it I was on infield grass and the pain was so sudden and sharp I went down hard. Even though it was a Little League game I let the F Bomb go and I was told it was very loud. Had partner, both coaching staffs, and all the infielders around me asking if I was ok. Doctor says torn calf muscles are a common injury for sprinters and since I was basically doing a very short sprint...BINGO. BTW...I normally do stretch before a game. Guess what I did not do pre-game and it was a little cold. Anyway for two weeks... and my meds Jax - Glad your ok.
  16. Are you reading my emails....lol Exactly what I will be doing each night and looking to pick crews for Tournament Season. Can also beat parents over the head with a crutch if they give our guys a hard time :Horse:
  17. Injured while working LL Major Game last night. 1st inning. Was in C Position with R2 and R3. Ball hit to F6. Looks back R3 and starts throw to F3. I make a quick sprint onto infield grass and about my 3rd step I am going down in pain. Thought it was a cramp in right calf. Cramp never went away. Visit to doctor this morning. Tore the calf muscle and am out for 2 weeks and on crutches for now. I finished the game, working from B position and turning all calls at 3rd Base to PU. Should have left the field and let him work the rest of the game 1 man, but he was just coming back after a 4 year lay off. Now I just spectate for a couple of weeks..:jerkit:
  18. In case you forgot Mothers Day was yesterday, so if you didn't get your pink shirt you missed the boat .
  19. Sunny Southern California Game #122 for 2010 was completed tonight :shakehead:
  20. Welcome to the forum.
  21. 13U doesn't provide me enough information on how to adjust my strike zone for a game. Regardless of the age level, LL Minor, High School or Adult, I will adjust my strike zone to the pitching and level of play that day. I work 13U USSSA Tournament games that have excellent pitching. I generally will not go up and down but will work 1 ball in and out. Two recent games I worked the plate 3 and a half 1 hr 5 min mercy ruling. Full 7 innings 1 hr 25 min.
  22. 7.05© It is a three base award. You should have scored the runner.
  23. EJ one from each team in 2nd game. Thank the Police Officer for their concern but until you call for a Police Officer, who happens to be on duty and not watching their kid play, her assistance is not needed. Most good off duty Police Officers would never involve themselves in something like this.
  24. Why not? Support Little League by registering. You get rulebook, bat gage, patch. Access to RIM online. I work Little League also. Minor, Major, Junior and Senior (when it starts) I take pay for games. I also assist scheduling 40 umpires over 5 leagues. I spend about 2 hours a day doing so. We provide that service at no cost to the leagues, so I volunteer time every day. We presently have scheduled 600 games. Each umpire was also required to work at least 10 hours, 5 games as a volunteer. A few do all their games as volunteers. So out of the 600 games, we have saved the leagues money by not having to pay for at least 200 games to have umpires at 200 games. All Umpires must be willing to work all tournament games as a volunteer. Do what you can to assist you Local Little League.
  25. Hopefully you have been working out in the gym already to get into shape. Hydrate and make sure you eat to keep your energy level up. This needs to start the day before.
×
×
  • Create New...