First one of the career.

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4289 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Boys I must say that I had a triple play turned today. It was huge at the time it occurred. Kid walked the bases loaded and the next batter, with a 3-0 count, hits a line shot directly at SS. He kindly stepped on 2nd and fired it over to 1st. I have seen it happen as a spectator, but never been on the field when one happened. I will admit it got me fired up. I don't know why though? It was either the play or the end of an inning that was going to be long. 14 year old all stars here in Louisiana at the district tourney. The team that turned it is the team that won the 13 year old world series in Dixie last year. Just wanna know about some of y'alls triple plays.

I don't think it was my first one as I'm sure I had some ugly ones when doing little league years ago. But a few weeks ago we had runners on 1st and 2nd. BR hits a rope to F9. He charges and makes a running catch. Runner on 1st was just a few steps off, but runner from second was almost all the way to third base. F9 throws to 1st base first which was the key. Had he done it the other way around they would have only gotten two. Runner tried to get back to 2nd but was out by about 10 feet.

The best one I ever saw was a game ender in an American Legion game. R1, R2 and a standard 5,4,3 double play. The R2 made a big round around third and slipped getting back. F3 throws back to F5 for out three. The really fun part was watching the BU get all three calls, with no real effort.

Bases juiced. Runner ALL going on the pitch (hit and run no outs bases loaded :WTF: ) grounder to F5 holding runner. Steps on his bag, 5-4-3.

Did you have a hard time telling the coach that his run didn't count either or did they actually know the basic rules?

As far as triple plays goes, I'm sure I've had a few, but they were at the age level where it is the result of someone making the one and only catch of the game, all runners running because they don't know any better, and all the coaches and dads screaming at the kid who caught the ball about where to run and touch the base while at the same time the coaches and dads are yelling on the other side at the runners telling them to go back.

The fielders dads are louder, and the kid does as he is told, and it results in the fastest coach pitch inning ever.

No one moment is memorable, as I usually try to forget those games the second they are done with.

The blonde was a waitress, the brunette was a stewardess, and the redhead was a teacher. They lived together in this condo--wait...never mind.

"Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me, but ..."

I was watching two friends umpire a HS regional final last year -- the game ended on a line-drive triple play. As it happened, I was the only person walking down the bleachers -- all the fans in attendance were stunned into sitting there for another 30 seconds or so.

Had runners on 1 and 2, batter his a short looper between 2nd and 3rd. SS had to make a herculian dive to attempt to catch the ball (which he barely missed). Neither my partner nor myself signalled for nor called an infield fly (not enough height and not ordinary effort) and nobody on the offence moved assuming it was an infield fly. SS picked up the ball tagged the runner on 2nd, touched 2nd base then threw the ball to first. Bang bang and bang

The blonde was a waitress, the brunette was a stewardess, and the redhead was a teacher. They lived together in this condo--wait...never mind.

Throw in a nurse and you got the cycle. Even rarer than a triple play.

Jen Brown - blonde waitress

Halle Berry - brunette stewardess

The chic from "Shooter" - redhead teacher

Rosalyn Sanchez - latina nurse

I never wanna wake up from this dream

My wife manages to strike me out one at a time. She's turned a double play a few times, that would be striikng out in the morning and then striking me out at night. I think I had back to back nights where she turned that double play, of course we all know what happened next. I was ejected from the bedroom. No chirping, just threw some guilt her way. And by the way, just so I'm clear, I never go down looking, always swinging!

My wife manages to strike me out one at a time. She's turned a double play a few times, that would be striikng out in the morning and then striking me out at night. I think I had back to back nights where she turned that double play, of course we all know what happened next. I was ejected from the bedroom. No chirping, just threw some guilt her way. And by the way, just so I'm clear, I never go down looking, always swinging!

sounds like she sometimes gets the 4th out appeal and no run scores!

I have had 2 triple plays this year about a week apart.

First one -- R1 & R2

R1 and R2 were "thinking" hit and run and they were trippled off. (Perserved a no-hitter.)

I was PU umpire and watched my partner do all the work. Yes, I was moving towards third for a possible tag up.

Second one -- R1 & R2

I was base umpire. CF running hard in dives and catches the ball inches from the ground and rolls over a couple of times.

The runners never tag up and decide to run while the CF is still rolling. They get trippled off.

These things come in screwy spurts. How many times do you have game where you don't have a trouble ball and the next

game you are going out nearly every other batter?

Throw in a nurse and you got the cycle. Even rarer than a triple play.

I live with five women. I deal with cycles all the time--and not the good kind.

Last night I called the ugliest triple play ever. R1,R2, bunt that is a little humpback toward first. The F3 comes at a dead run and catches it inches above the ground, but isn't sure if we had a catch or skip so he throws to third for the force. Well he overthrows F5, F7 had read the catch so he stopped his backup of third, then had to take off again. The pitcher is yelling for the ball to go to second. F7 throws to F1 but high so it went to right. R2 had gone to third and either went on toward home or stayed at third. R1 went to second and started back to first, the BR rounded first and told him to get to second. Meanwhile F9 throws back to F1 at second, I call out, then to first, I call the third out. OM had a stroke.

He said we weren't vocal enough so his runners didn't know it was a catch. So all the offense was clueless, except maybe R1, and all the defense understood what to do. Gotcha.

The only one I have ever seen in person was when I was working as a sports writer for a little daily newspaper and I was covering a local high school. Runners on first and second, no outs of course, and the batter lines one right up the middle. The funny part was that R2 missed the hit and run sign and froze about 8 feet off the bag. R1 was rolling for second and the the second baseman was running up the middle to cover the steal. The ball damn near took him out as he caught it, stepped on second and tagged out the runner coming from first. I don't think he even knew what he did. Unassisted triple. It was so fast the base umpire only had time to say, "That's three...hustle in, hustle out!"

R1, R3 0 out. Legion game under FED rules

Batter hits a long fly ball to left. R3 leaves early, R1 is running all the way past 2B.

F7 makes nice catch deep. R1 heads back to 1B without touching 2B.

As the ball is coming in, I hear "Don't worry, we got this." from the dugout.

HC "R3 left early" Me "Out!"

HC "R1 didn't touch 2B on his way back to 1B" Partner "Out!"

Not a word from the offense.

My "worst" triple play was a rec league 14u game. We have 2 minutes left (out of 1:45) with 0 outs and the home team is batting. We are going home on time. 2 minutes left, no outs, clock runs out and we'll be done.

But nooooo... line drive to F6 for one, over to F4 at second for two and on to F3 for the final out and dreaded triple play. The next inning lasted almost 30 minutes. Arggggg.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had only one 'legitimate' triple play, and even that was a bit suspect as the runners screwed up big time.

Several years ago; LL Juniors (14U) All-Stars - 4th inning; R2 & R3 - I'm BU in 'C' - 2-man game

BR hits very high pop-up to shallow center; F8's charging in, but the runners must have thought he had no shot and both of them took off. A few moments after they started to run, the OM in 3B Coach box starts yelling at them to get back, so they grind to a halt and start back to their bases while F8 makes a shoestring catch (Out!) stumbles forward a step or two but keeps his feet, throws to F6 covering 2B (Out!) who in turn throws to F5 @ 3B (Out!) R3 was out by about a step; according to my partner, he made it all the way to about a foot shy of the plate before turning around.

For me, the best part of it was that I got to call all three Outs.

Haven't had one since.