WTB All-Star TG Retainer

I feel for you man, I've been looking for a set of these for a while as backups once I realized AS quit making them. The best I can suggest is to to snag a new (or used) throat guard from PIAS or eBay that has them on the mask.

Here are options around $15-16 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334116833590?itmmeta=01HS27C8VRP0XCK7DFGSXWSG0A&hash=item4dcaea4936:g:vsAAAOSwV~BhG-ek&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4MtrX8OH7myYfSiO3JZ4CYAW7BgbEXihksmLcNPwRwnQCizl%2FiBoZDb5%2FHc%2FWq2YVn6l0qlGKcJC8XnYPhRTmBOCKWDReuns%2FrrlWbBeM1ybYhYDguq%2BX%2FzUeT7KOtBWR9zHRLT1OsV%2FbfQli7nNBAbuQB1hC6xSFL3jT%2B0Weh4wliCFN2tIpR1vEHDlSosoeEiiZ%2BglqY6Eo2XKk3WkY79HHtvf46fwxg%2BTDvsDwbJ1THFfq7mqCz%2FTpqSez4s%2FK96uATV1ZfOHJw2p%2FVLf4GX8aSbNd5%2BtREqY9C34jQqW|tkp%3ABk9SR4iOscfIYw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256437090823?itmmeta=01HS27BV20P5DQ9CNPTCDYTCGC&hash=item3bb4d77a07:g:4jUAAOSwXjVjVuJg&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8PIoNAFQVwjY84Clc%2FR8MrOXTwo3ZrS2L9%2FnH8YMA6q%2Bg5FPnd5hobVyaVMa62K%2F4eDp86A1FnwUZkILD3XOL%2FIHCv2Twl3KP2qAEclk4qD384MJDKyyyDjwezfTQCoO%2BLRPF%2FMx56TBBWalhOAK1A%2FZrcq%2FOs6qurbDk%2FH5XwBNoirBytA9eB17qshVmJfEII%2BPuY%2FNSO4TN8%2FyIX3mubGtH70ntsod1KF4qYmLjIDhL7C2ajLNWDgEMj1Q4CxBKPRVf9U53CxRyAGf%2FnpRSlXRmpzuYKrZPe3oXYcX0S%2Btoisq2Rko4WkUrEgTba661w%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5axr8fIYw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404858623834?itmmeta=01HS27BV209ZB2MYE3GHZ6PGET&hash=item5e4374575a:g:WpMAAOSwqzhl8fcc&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8LSsqjmLc4Pl8tbC2W9%2FhbBLoLHoG5%2FC%2BxTnOXI8Zdu15u30qUe7mZ7QDxmv6tVVZSXES9jsVVJdN2u1zan45mC2nXxFBaADd1ebRTAH4ba7dJ9UDGAE5JN0lHUZRoAt4FZA%2B14gG2%2FiTVO2%2FenIKDgxoZ5sfV9QfD3R4Vx77Zz21fRRyVktpfGrcZIr8cyQXC1fwI2xFkicIIA%2FBEbskKYgqJ8m0OEVtitVZEC%2FaAxmhyZSCooW0hGPwKP7ssRebCm%2FLiYpMGnPwl--D4FGRAboizSFxG2A2G2p%2BhZlQiwVOpqV9PDW5sOrs2pcqGQAug%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5axr8fIYw

• Thanks 1

Oh jeez...I got some bird cage TGs last summer for my Mags and while I have those retainers I saw at the time AS was still selling them...and I passed...ugh.

@MadMax, you've chimed in on some alt-hardware solutions previously. I definitely recall you giving us all an incredible dissertation on chicago fasteners. Max, can you please pick up the plaid courtesy phone and tell us if you have an alternative here?

~Dawg

3 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Max, can you please pick up the plaid courtesy phone and tell us if you have an alternative here?

Dawg, did you not see who thoroughly answered before me? 

If there’s anyone on this entire forum who knows how to solve umpire gear problems better than me, it’s @wolfe_man

I’m just more… loquacious about it. :blah  

If I was to suggest something, I’d be looking at those rubber/vinyl straps some companies use on high-end luggage pieces… or Pelican will use on their watertight storage boxes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

fwiw, I use bulk velcro with a 100% overlap. Came to this after having the Mizuno provided partially velcro strap break in the middle of a game. Understand it may not look at as good as these but it isn't breaking (and even if it did there'd be enough material to mcgyver it in the middle of a game).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Dawg, did you not see who thoroughly answered before me? 

If there’s anyone on this entire forum who knows how to solve umpire gear problems better than me, it’s @wolfe_man

I’m just more… loquacious about it. :blah  

If I was to suggest something, I’d be looking at those rubber/vinyl straps some companies use on high-end luggage pieces… or Pelican will use on their watertight storage boxes. 

Sigh...umpire balk...apparently, this is one of those weird forums where you have to actually SCROLL DOWN and read everything to know what was said...

Thank you, @MadMax...

Utter sheepishness, @wolfe_man...

~Dawg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Velho said:

fwiw, I use bulk velcro with a 100% overlap. Came to this after having the Mizuno provided partially velcro strap break in the middle of a game. Understand it may not look at as good as these but it isn't breaking (and even if it did there'd be enough material to mcgyver it in the middle of a game).

No issues from me on that.  I'd even consider a thicker zip-tie in black or navy for the same reason.

I would hazard a guess that AS probably quit making these because they have a tendency to let go when/after being impacted.  This goes for the snap-version of straps too.   The ones with Chicago screws or the Velcro hold the best upon impact.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

No issues from me on that.  I'd even consider a thicker zip-tie in black or navy for the same reason.

I would hazard a guess that AS probably quit making these because they have a tendency to let go when/after being impacted.  This goes for the snap-version of straps too.   The ones with Chicago screws or the Velcro hold the best upon impact.

Oddly enough, ... I've been hit twice with thse All-Star retainers, and they came un-done, but were still usable :nod: 

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Oddly enough, ... I've been hit twice with thse All-Star retainers, and they came un-done, but were still usable :nod: 

Sooooo… if you didn’t have those retainers… you wouldn’t have been hit at all? :meditation: 

… excerpts from The Backstop of the Multiverse, everyone! 

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2024 at 4:18 PM, MadMax said:

Sooooo… if you didn’t have those retainers… you wouldn’t have been hit at all? :meditation: 

… excerpts from The Backstop of the Multiverse, everyone! 

I see this as solid logic. This is why I don't wear a cup for the same reason.:nod:

• Haha 3