What happens to the Count on the batter

calablue

3 hours ago, BigBlue4u said:

beerguy55,

Thanks for the info.  Now that I think of it, it's possible for a triple play on an infield fly situation.  IFF.  R1 then passes R2 who is standing just past 2B.  Ball comes down and hits R2. Result:  Batter out on IFF.  R1 out for passing R2. and R2 out for being hit with a fair ball.  And, to quote the ever-popular Senor Azul, here is a bonus bit of information:  How can a triple play occur with no defensive player touching the ball?

It's a great trivia question and very few people that I have asked even come close to the correct answer.

This is actually a FED case play. 

Mr. Richvee is right--the FED case play is 8.4.2 Situation G. And we need to clarify that in this infield fly scenario R2 is out when hit by the IF because he is off the base at the time. If he is touching the base when hit by the IF, he would not be out. Please see FED rules 8-4-2k1 and 8-4-2k2.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:21 PM, Richvee said:

This is actually a FED case play. 

36 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. Richvee is right--the FED case play is 8.4.2 Situation G. And we need to clarify that in this infield fly scenario R2 is out when hit by the IF because he is off the base at the time. If he is touching the base when hit by the IF, he would not be out. Please see FED rules 8-4-2k1 and 8-4-2k2.

A far fetched scenario except it could happen in a FED JV game. Nobody said or heard “stay on the base”. 

Mr. ArchAngel72, who was it exactly who led you to believe that the base runner has to try to avoid the fielder even while on base? I ask because they are definitely right under FED rules and I think they are right under Little League rules also.

FED case book play 8.4.2 Situation H tells us in its ruling--

...A runner need not vacate a base to permit a fielder to make a catch, but shall give the fielder a reasonable opportunity to make the play...

In the 2022 Little League RIM in the following Instructor's Comments to rule 7.08(b) you will find these words:

He/she may stay in contact with the base and show the umpire he/she is trying to avoid the fielder.

I don't think you were misled. Those comments also answer your second question about how Little League rules. If you don't have a rule book or no one else copies and pastes the full Comments, I will input them later.

Seems like each sets of rules that we use may or may not have different interpretations of that written rule. Seems like years ago L League used OBR interpretation sometimes(or I guess you could say it backwards that OBR used L League interpretation sometimes).

So it seems that I have read before somewhere (who knows maybe I dreamed it), that a runner did not have to move off the base, that rule is obvious, or they could be tagged while off, but they did have to make an effort to allow the fielder a chance to make a reasonable attempt to catch/make a play on the ball. Maybe the runner could lean one way or the other (like a fielder leaning over the rail in foul territory) or ducking down on the base so the fielder could catch the ball without the runners upper shoulders and head being in the way.

Now could a player on the base actually 'unintentionally' cause the fielder to miss by not leaning far enough, who knows, just so long as the umpire believes he did not 'intentionally' move into the fielder to avoid. But, you could not just do a statue of liberty pose on the base and not make an attempt at all, to get out of the way while standing on the base.

Maybe this has changed or never was, or different rule sets allow or disallow.

Which leads into plays with the question of could someone be trying to get out of the way to help a fielder but in trying to help, still move into the way causing an 'unintentional' interference and a penalty would still be called for the 'unintentional interference' on a play (maybe plays with the base coaches involved) and not just players on the field as in the OP. And which plays in the rules would this 'unintentional' still be called interference/a penalty, and a penalty enforced and which plays would not be, with no penalty to be called. And just remember a no call is an actual call just like a call is. Isn't judgement a witch sometimes.

2 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. ArchAngel72, who was it exactly who led you to believe that the base runner has to try to avoid the fielder even while on base? I ask because they are definitely right under FED rules and I think they are right under Little League rules also.

FED case book play 8.4.2 Situation H tells us in its ruling--

...A runner need not vacate a base to permit a fielder to make a catch, but shall give the fielder a reasonable opportunity to make the play...

In the 2022 Little League RIM in the following Instructor's Comments to rule 7.08(b) you will find these words:

He/she may stay in contact with the base and show the umpire he/she is trying to avoid the fielder.

I don't think you were misled. Those comments also answer your second question about how Little League rules. If you don't have a rule book or no one else copies and pastes the full Comments, I will input them later.

Actually, the RIM has the same wording as OBR in the Instructors Comment. They add a "Right Call" casebook interp in conflict with the proper enforcement of the rule. The runner should be watching and avoiding the ball. Contact with it would put him out in most situations. Umpire judgement of intent is required to call INT with the fielder.