FM4000 Bent

boyinr
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 657 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I thought I had bought something that was almost indestructible. Only took 4 games. In a varsity game today I took a nasty shot to the lower left eye area. The ball left some residue on the powder coating when I got home I realized that the bat is BENT by about 3/16”. While I hate this, I am not in the ER or stuffing any effects.  The mask is less than my health insurance deductible!  Hoping Tony can repair it at some point. @The Short Umpire2E85173B-A7BA-4EC8-A1F1-FD1D69F937B2.thumb.jpeg.db671b08a12dd613c7b99023d546483c.jpeg

• Like 2

Do not send it off to Tony just yet. He likely can’t do much about it, given that the FM4000 Magnesium is die cast. 

You need to contact All-Star; they should honor a replacement. It would help All-Star if you also report the conditions as best as you can recall them (temperature, approximate ball speed on impact, etc.). 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 1:32 AM, MadMax said:

Do not send it off to Tony just yet. He likely can’t do much about it, given that the FM4000 Magnesium is die cast. 

You need to contact All-Star; they should honor a replacement. It would help All-Star if you also report the conditions as best as you can recall them (temperature, approximate ball speed on impact, etc.). 

4 games! Yes, I second this as All Star stands by their gear.

45 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

It might depend on if it was powdercoated, or is it the original finish?

i think that's stock black matte with grey pads.  But it is a good point.  I'd guess that if we have it re-done in a different color that it would void the warranty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

i think that's stock black matte with grey pads.  But it is a good point.  I'd guess that if we have it re-done in a different color that it would void the warranty.

that's what I'm wondering (not sure, but ...)

I do not have a warranty claim. I bought this used on here.  I only used it for 4 games.   I have contacted All-Star and am hoping for the best but, I fully understand this may be on my dime.   I don’t expect them give me a new mask. I would be fully happy to buy a replacement frame for my new pads and harness to go on.  Depending on the outcome I may have set of charcoal Mag pads for sale. 

Yes. It was powder coated by the prior owner. It is a dark matte gray.  

Just now, boyinr said:

I do not have a warranty claim. I bought this used on here.  I only used it for 4 games.   I have contacted All-Star and am hoping for the best but, I fully understand this may be on my dime.   I don’t expect them give me a new mask. I would be fully happy to buy a replacement frame for my new pads and harness to go on.  Depending on the outcome I may have set of charcoal Mag pads for sale. 

Yes. It was powder coated by the prior owner. It is a dark matte gray.  

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'd truly love to see the numbers for how many frames get bent after powder-coating versus stock finish.  This doesn't seem to be a one-off case, but rather seems to be the norm from my thinking.

@boyinr as Max asked above, can you give us details on conditions and all that?  Inquiring minds and so on...

• Like 1

Sure. It was upper 60’s in temperature. The pitcher was throwing in the low eighties at best. The ball was fouled straight back from the bat and only hit the lower bar below the right eye.  There was ball residue on the frame. I thought it was cool right up to the point I saw the frame was bent!!

I took one other hit earlier in the game. A glancing blow that didn’t do any damage. 

My partner, a very accomplished umpire, remarked post game that those were two solid shots and was surprised I wasn’t feeling the effects more.  

I really like the mask. The pads and the mask design did their job. I feel fortunate to have my health. Anytime you have to replace safety equipment because it did it’s job you should be relieved.  If you can’t afford to replace it, don’t buy it  is something I learned a long time ago  

I also wondered if the powder coating process had something to do with effecting the properties.  I don’t know the details of the process. 

• Thanks 1

UPDATE

I reached to Brad at All-Star Sports and he is sending me a new silver frame!!!!!  This is way over the top and I had no expectations that they would do this for me.  It goes without saying, but All-Star is maybe the only equipment manufacturer that would do something like this.  They are the best.  I'll post pics when I get it put together.  Thanks to all, especially @MadMaxand @Thunderheads.     

• Like 6

1 hour ago, boyinr said:

It goes without saying, but All-Star is maybe the only equipment manufacturer that would do something like this.

Not saying you’re wrong, but several gear manufacturers used to do this, before corporate greed and complexity of operations eroded and destroyed this simple act of integrity.  

• Like 2

Not a mask, but the one time I had to deal with Allstar on a warranty issue, all they asked for was a copy of the receipt and a new CP was on the way and in my hands in a couple of days. I was 100% thrilled by how they stood by their product.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The replacement frame came today from All-Star and it is game ready once again. I like the color combination of the charcoal pads with the silver frame.  I think this is going to nice on those really hot days.  ED8C7497-4E9E-41FF-9559-A664F0B32BEF.thumb.jpeg.15773c11a2df6eeaaa1243a9d7d35640.jpeg

Thanks again to Brad Jurga. 

• Like 3

The replacement frame came today from All-Star and it is game ready once again. I like the color combination of the charcoal pads with the silver frame.  I think this is going to nice on those really hot days.  ED8C7497-4E9E-41FF-9559-A664F0B32BEF.thumb.jpeg.15773c11a2df6eeaaa1243a9d7d35640.jpeg
I usually like more contrast but that looks sweet!

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, boyinr said:

This is a great look, one of many great pad/frame combos for this mask.

Ive worn All Star masks for a long time (dating back to the FM-25) and love supporting that company because they seem to always do the right thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FranklinT said:

I’ve worn All Star masks for a long time (dating back to the FM-25) and love supporting that company because they seem to always do the right thing.

Sure would love to see that kind of supportive thinking and action from the company that’s supposed to represent us. 
:fuel:

On 4/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, boyinr said:

Somewhat on topic but somewhat not, as someone who has NEVER worn tan deerskin pads, I made an impulse buy of the FM4000 MAG black frame with the tan deerskin pads.

Finally wore it a few days ago and wow, I could not believe how nice and comfortable those pads are.  I like the LUC large pads for the FM4000 but these tan deerskin ones are amazing.