Selling a Force 3 Defender V2 Mask used for 4 plates, it is a great mask just not for me. 

What comes with it?

• Silver F3 V2 Mask w/ Tan Pads
  • Silver F3 Throat Guard
  • Silver F3 Sun Visor
  • Ump Life Harness- NO CAMS
  • F3 Mask Bag

New this would cost you ~$300

Looking for all in $185 Shipped, I will also entertain offers and trades. Let's make a deal! 

P.S. I have some red pads and harness to throw in as well

IMG-3365.jpg

IMG-3361.jpg

IMG-3362.jpg

IMG-3363.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've worn one for several games.   It's really not that much more weight in my opinion. It's balanced well and if you wear it snug, it really isn't that noticeable.  I've worn for two plates back-to-b

Selling a Force 3 Defender V2 Mask used for 4 plates, it is a great mask just not for me.    What comes with it? Silver F3 V2 Mask w/ Tan Pads Silver F3 Throat Guard Si

It is about 1.5 times those masks, mainly due to the double cage design that allows the springs to function.  Arik is correct, wearing it tight is what offsets the weight and also is how it is me

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

Out of curiosity what is it you didn't like about the mask? I've never seen the Force 3 in person.

I liked the mask and the technology behind it, but with that comes wearing it tight and for some reason I couldn't get comfortable with that. More of a personal preference thing than anything else. 

I love the look of the mask, even got compliments from some players during a scrimmage but couldn't make it work for me. 

To their shame is that they couldn't match the silver shade on the throat protector and the mask. Also bad is that they chose gray straps instead of the traditional black.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For any potential buyer:

The color matches the v1 frame. I thought the same thing about matching until i got it, it is nice that it has the vinyl on it because metal on metal would clank the whole time. Also disagree with the straps comment, black would stick out like a sore thumb if you were going for an all silver look. 

you can’t see the color difference if you’re 6 ft away. 

For any potential buyer:

The color matches the v1 frame. I thought the same thing about matching until i got it, it is nice that it has the vinyl on it because metal on metal would clank the whole time. Also disagree with the straps comment, black would stick out like a sore thumb if you were going for an all silver look. 

you can’t see the color difference if you’re 6 ft away. 
They must have thought the same way as you, it don't matter from far away there is no difference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I will go to the ends of the earth and complain about the fact they only have leather pads! I have one that I really want to give a try of. But just CAN NOT get past my dislike of leather.

16 hours ago, ATXBlue said:

I liked the mask and the technology behind it, but with that comes wearing it tight and for some reason I couldn't get comfortable with that. More of a personal preference thing than anything else. 

I love the look of the mask, even got compliments from some players during a scrimmage but couldn't make it work for me. 

Thanks for the info. Was curious since i know guys like the mask and its supposed to offer better protection and I took one of my worst shots Tuesday. Cross up pitch. Took an untouched fastball to the center of the mask. Got really rung for the first time. Mild concussion.

How heavy is the mask?

4 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

Thanks for the info. Was curious since i know guys like the mask and its supposed to offer better protection and I took one of my worst shots Tuesday. Cross up pitch. Took an untouched fastball to the center of the mask. Got really rung for the first time. Mild concussion.

How heavy is the mask?

Mmm not a fun one, hope you get to feeling better. Yes, the F3 was developed to help with that kind of impact. 

According to UA it is less than 27 oz. so I am guessing in the 26 oz. range which is slightly less than a steel Wilson which is 28 Oz. 

Oh and...Gig 'em Ags 

15 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

How heavy is the mask?

Compared to what you probably have now, it would probably be considered "heavy." If I remember correctly, it weighs in at almost double that of a Wilson Titanium, Aluminum, or a Diamond Aluminum. However, the extra weight should be offset by wearing the mask as instructed. Which is to say... tight to your face.

This is all second hand information to me. As I said before. I still have never used the one I have. I just can't get past my dislike of leather pads. 

30 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Compared to what you probably have now, it would probably be considered "heavy." If I remember correctly, it weighs in at almost double that of a Wilson Titanium, Aluminum, or a Diamond Aluminum. However, the extra weight should be offset by wearing the mask as instructed. Which is to say... tight to your face.

This is all second hand information to me. As I said before. I still have never used the one I have. I just can't get past my dislike of leather pads. 

It is about 1.5 times those masks, mainly due to the double cage design that allows the springs to function. 

Arik is correct, wearing it tight is what offsets the weight and also is how it is meant to be worn. 

• Like 1

I've worn one for several games.   It's really not that much more weight in my opinion. It's balanced well and if you wear it snug, it really isn't that noticeable.  I've worn for two plates back-to-back without any issues.

It does take a small adjustment time to get used to pulling the mask down, out and then up because you wear it tight/snug.  If you use Ray's harness, this helps you out a lot.

Finally, when you get hit in one of these - it will surprise you.  You will not really remember the feeling of impact, but rather a "tink" sound.  It's really odd and you're wondering what in the world made that noise and then you realize the ball impacted your mask!

I'm with Arik in wishing they offered a more comfortable chin pad.  The leather is nice, but hard to switch from my All Star MAG pads to those stiff leather pads.  I understand why they must be stiff so the springs do their job, but I still don't like it. 

FWIW, this is a very good deal.  These are $200 for the stock mask and pads alone now.  If you're debating getting one, you won't find a better offer than this one.

• Like 2

I’ll throw my 2¢ endorsement in... the Force3 Defender is 1 of the 2 best masks on the market, period. 

I fully endorse the technology, fully believe in its protective qualities, and fully recommend it to a variety of umpires regardless of level-of-ball called (is it overkill for 11U? Yeah, but no-one is going to do exclusively 11U ball). I also fully believe that this, when teamed with a hard-hat / Skuly, is a HSM-killer (for us, I’m not talking about catchers)... meaning that there’s nothing a HSM offers to us (umpires) different or better than this combination. 

So why don’t I, Mad Max, have one? :HS

As an athlete, I’m incredibly vain. While I heavily recommend that all umpires should have 2 masks with them when traveling to a game, I myself have 4-5 that I use in a rotation. Each is a different color or pad configuration. I’ve even been known to switch masks game-to-game if I’m doing a DH or back-to-back games on plate (such as a tournament weekend). The simple reality is, when the Defender was introduced, it was limited in its colors (frames & pads). I had already embarked on my mad machinations, and invested so much into it, there was no turning away for me. And, each of my masks (with the exception of my all-navy rig) is confidently able to handle MLB-level impacts. 

That’s the unfortunate flaw-in-the-system confronting the Force3 Defender – we’re not going to see it on TV in the Major Leagues because the Major League umpires don’t take repetitive impacts. Such is the nature of health and faculty awareness in today’s game, if a plate umpire takes a significant shot to face (mask) in a MLB game, that umpire is coming out of the role, if only as a precautionary measure. Sure, he may come back to the game as a BU (usually U3), but he’s not going to resume being a PU. As such, the Defender is markedly heavier than even a standard DynaLite Steel, and if even a stock-standard DynaLite will take “one good impact”, then why wear a Defender? 

It’s a numbers game. It’s not a flaw in the Defender, it’s just the cold reality of that situation. 

What I’m genuinely surprised at is that no one in MLBU is using a Champro Rampage frame (yet). No disrespect to All-Star and their FM5K (FM4K Magnesium), but you’d think _one_ of the 76 would at least try it, just to be different than the others. Conversely, I’m surprised but not surprised that Wilson hasn’t trotted a magnesium frame out yet; then again, they don’t have an innovative bone in their corporate body. 

————

Yes, I have an all-navy mask rig – frame, pads _and_ harness. Expressly for those rare games I call in nothing-but-navy-shirt environments... like Wisconsin, Michigan, or Cooperstown. 

On 4/1/2021 at 2:47 PM, MadMax said:

That’s the unfortunate flaw-in-the-system confronting the Force3 Defender – we’re not going to see it on TV in the Major Leagues because the Major League umpires don’t take repetitive impacts.

I think this is changing. During the 2020 season and through spring training this year I have seen many catchers with Nike endorsements wearing a force 3 mask with their Nike CP’s and shin guards. 

1 hour ago, The Short Umpire said:

During the 2020 season and through spring training this year I have seen many catchers with Nike endorsements wearing a Force3 mask with their Nike CP’s and shin guards.

True. 

Three important points, though: 

1. The Force3 Defender is a much better choice amongst catchers, especially at the professional level, because of the potential for repetitive impacts, as well as that “one big whopper”. (See more on #3) 
  2. Nike may very well have ceased production of the Nike “Icon” Titanium, and is merely distributing back stock of it. Nike never sold it to market (it had to have a price tag on it for importation purposes), instead they supplied it to professional catchers and baseball programs of their endorsed universities. The use of titanium in masks was nearly a lost cause for a span of time, with Wilson even turning their apologists loose with the unfounded, conflated claim that Titanium was “dangerous”. * 
  3. We need to remember this is about umpires, not catchers. A MLB catcher is much less likely to leave the game after a jarring impact to the mask, while it’s become nearly a practiced certainty a MLB umpire is leaving the PU role if he experiences a similar impact. Additionally, a MLB umpire is out there, wearing a mask, twice as long (at least!) as a MLB catcher! Rightly so, a MLB umpire doesn’t want the weight burden that the Force3 inherently brings, considering all the circumstantial support factors. 

* Titanium in and of itself isn’t dangerous as a mask frame. Pathetic, barbaric, medieval -tech pads (as in, using upholstery foam, wool and leather) are dangerous! All of the sporting goods companies were guilty of sitting on their hands in complacency, doing nothing to progress and improve the protective quality of the pads. Why the sloth? It wasn’t because the technology was lagging behind, no! It was because they were chained to a retail sales model, where each mask on a shelf had to have a set of pads in it in order to be stocked and sold! Why would you go to all that effort to put top-quality pads in masks that are sitting in a sporting goods store in flyover USA with a hefty price tag on them? No one’s gonna buy those! Certainly not with the urgency or frequency that will move the needle on your annual stock dividends report! 

Really, I marvel as to why Team Wendys even make mask pads anymore. There is zero incentive for them to, considering that the purchasing market remains woefully uneducated about their (and other pad technologies, to be fair) benefits, and that the laziest company on Earth (yes, I’m exaggerating) is still squashing any chance of their products getting the recognition they deserve. 

4 hours ago, The Short Umpire said:

I think this is changing. During the 2020 season and through spring training this year I have seen many catchers with Nike endorsements wearing a force 3 mask with their Nike CP’s and shin guards. 

Entire organizations are having their catchers wear force3 masks. I know, for certain, that both San Francisco and Atlanta are in this grouping.