Jump to content
  • 0
Guest Jeff

foul ball?

Question

Guest Jeff

Is a tipped batted ball into the catcher's mitt with less than 2 strikes simply another strike or an out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Since we have had some inadvertent typos, let’s go straight to a source ... NFHS Baseball 2018 (I don’t believe there is a code where this is different, though the wording may be different).

SECTION 16 FOUL, FOUL TIP
ART. 1 . . . A foul is a batted ball:

a. which settles on foul territory between home and first base or between home and third base; or

b. that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory; or

c. that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base; or

d. that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or any object foreign to the natural ground; or

e. that touches the ground after inadvertently being declared foul by an umpire.

f. that hits the batter in the batter's box; or

g. that hits the ground or home plate and then hits the batter or the bat which is held by the batter, while he is in the batter's box.

ART. 2 . . . A foul tip is a batted ball that goes directly to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught by the catcher. It is a strike and the ball is in play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

It is a foul tip if it goes direct to the catchers mitt not a foul ball and if secured it is an out. other wise a foul ball does not count as a strike if two strikes are on the batter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Radwaste50 said:

It is a foul tip if it goes direct to the catchers mitt not a foul ball and if secured with 2 strikes on the batter it is an out. other wise a foul ball does not count as a strike if two strikes are on the batter

fixed ........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
27 minutes ago, Guest Jeff said:

Is a tipped batted ball into the catcher's mitt with less than 2 strikes simply another strike or an out?

It is just a strike, the batter is not out, and the ball is live (ie. stealing runners can continue, can be safe or out...and don't have to tag up)...provided it was caught....not caught, it's just a foul ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:
34 minutes ago, Guest Jeff said:

Is a tipped batted ball into the catcher's mitt with less than 2 strikes simply another strike or an out?

It is just a strike, the batter is not out, and the ball is live (ie. stealing runners can continue, can be safe or out...and don't have to tag up)...provided it was caught....not caught, it's just a foul ball.

:sarcasm:

fixed...... for @Thunderheads

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 11/12/2019 at 4:18 PM, The Man in Blue said:

Since we have had some inadvertent typos, let’s go straight to a source ... NFHS Baseball 2018 (I don’t believe there is a code where this is different, though the wording may be different).

SECTION 16 FOUL, FOUL TIP
ART. 1 . . . A foul is a batted ball:

a. which settles on foul territory between home and first base or between home and third base; or

b. that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory; or

c. that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base; or

d. that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or any object foreign to the natural ground; or

e. that touches the ground after inadvertently being declared foul by an umpire.

f. that hits the batter in the batter's box; or

g. that hits the ground or home plate and then hits the batter or the bat which is held by the batter, while he is in the batter's box.

ART. 2 . . . A foul tip is a batted ball that goes directly to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught by the catcher. It is a strike and the ball is in play.

Good answer !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...