Mic'd up

Guest IamToast
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1881 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest IamToast

What do you folks think of audio recording umpires during high school games ? My intent is to use it as a self-improvement tool (what did I say...how could I handled the situation better). Secondary benefit is to protect myself from false accusation by others. If it becomes a he said, he said situation, an audio recording could come in handy. 

What are the ethical considerations of making such recordings without anyone else's knowledge (my state has a one-party consent law) ? The reason that I want to do it secretly is because I don't want to change the game dynamics (folks may act differently when the camera/microphones are turned on). So I have mixed feelings about doing this. Anyone have an opinion on mic'g up the umpires ? 

Forgive this particular slant, but it might merit consideration - I'd ultimately defer to the lawyers on the board.

My background is cybersecurity - I'm head of cybersecurity for a multi-billion dollar company, and as such I have considerations and dealings with things ranging from privacy laws to rules of discovery.

The first point to remember here - that audio recording is data.  And because it's done in work-related setting, it could be considered a commercial endeavor, and MAY fall under consumer privacy legislation - like the recent California act.

As data, there are privacy regulations.   There may be contextual regulations.   And even if not legal, but ethically.  US laws are not as strict, but as an example, EU's privacy laws in GDPR not only require consent, but require you to explain the purpose.  And, tied to that, is a requirement to use the data for that purpose and that purpose only.  US isn't there legally, but it's an ethical question.   You're using this recording to improve your mechanics.   So, does that mean you won't use that recording as evidence related to an ejection?   Or, to disclose information on a conversation you picked up between two coaches, who weren't talking to you, where they insult another umpire, or the president of a league, or discuss how they're cheating on their wives??

Then there might be discovery considerations...how long are you now required to keep that data?  When are you required to destroy it?  Or are you required to document a procedure you follow to how long you keep the data.   What if six months from now a coach accuses you of assault.  Your recording might be discoverable...and there might be consequences to not having it any more.

In other words....you might open a whole ugly can of worms here if you don't have a framework tied to your practices.  What is, in your mind, really innocent, has a slew of problems that follow it - even if totally legal and ethical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest IamToast
On 3/1/2019 at 5:34 PM, Senor Azul said:

...In addition, I don’t think your plan adheres to some tenets of the Officials Code of Ethics found in the back of the rule book.

I re-read that code and I don't know which tenant(s) you're referring to. I think y'all are not looking at the self-evaluation benefit of audio recording your games. 

Recording recently, F2 lets a 80+mph pitch by untouched and I left my hand exposed and let it hit me. Post game, I asked my partner if I said the F-word. He said he didn't hear that...I was pretty sure I had...just not sure of the volume. Well the tale of the tape/audio confirmed that I did use that vernacular ...five times before we resumed play. The initial one might be generously interpreted as a "FORK" given the circumstances...the other four muttered to myself as I evaluated the injury. .  That's real feedback that I can use. Why I came up with the recording plan in the first place.  

And talking less is a good game management approach, but the Silent Bob treatment isn't an option when things need explaining. You can  listen to yourself, learn and try to improve that aspect of your game. 

So are we doing this or not? :Horse:

If I may weigh in... "you do you" or something like that.  I don't see any trouble with legality as no reasonable expectation to privacy in a public setting, but also agree with others on the ethics part.

Personally, I will refrain from recording my fellow umpires, players & coaches.  If it ever gets so bad that I need a recording to prove that I did or didn't say something, then it is time to look for a different employment, hobby, etc.:2cents:

17 hours ago, Guest IamToast said:

Recording recently, F2 lets a 80+mph pitch by untouched and I left my hand exposed and let it hit me. Post game, I asked my partner if I said the F-word. He said he didn't hear that...I was pretty sure I had...just not sure of the volume. Well the tale of the tape/audio confirmed that I did use that vernacular ...five times before we resumed play. The initial one might be generously interpreted as a "FORK" given the circumstances...the other four muttered to myself as I evaluated the injury. .  That's real feedback that I can use. Why I came up with the recording plan in the first place.  

Along @yawetag's line of thought:  my main concern would be, if I didn't get AT LEAST five f-bombs dropped, to wonder if I'd had a stroke, or otherwise was presenting with a neurological condition that was slowing me down.

......I swear a lot, is what I'm saying.

..... A LOT.