Shirt and color combo style guide for newbies

ousafe
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2107 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 7/18/2018 at 1:16 PM, Hkepuck said:

"I'm a traditionalist"

"Is that so? Do you have button up shirts too? Outside protector for this game?"

They say it in such a way that implies that we're the odd ones for not following some sort of code. We're rebels for wearing colors that, I don't know, are worn by everyone else, all the way up to MLB.

It's another way of being stubborn and cheap.  I'm a traditionalist, so being on the board I want to make sure everybody conforms to my way of thinking, to include Navy shirts and all black shoes.  Because why would people ever be different?

On 7/19/2018 at 9:47 AM, JSam21 said:

Here is a good undershirt guide. Match the last color on the sleeve of your shirt. If it is black, wear black. If it is White, wear white. If it is red, wear red. If it is navy, wear navy. 

The Panel shirts (current MLB) and Vertical Stripe (MiLB/NCAA Championship uniform) wear black for all of them. 

The striped collar/cuff shirts match the last stripe color on the sleeve. Navy = Red, Red = Navy, Powder Collar = Navy, Black Collar = Black, Cream/Grey = Black

I recall writing something like this up 5+ years ago (match your last stripe color). In the past several years, the trend has become more relaxed (and simpler). Red and white are no longer the "in" colors for base layers.

Basically, if you have black in your umpire shirt, whether it is the main color or a trim color, go with black as your base layer. If you have navy in your umpire shirt, whether the main color or trim color, go with navy.

This applies to both baseball and softball but do check to see if your association has specific details.

IN SUMMARY: past (last trim color); current (match black or navy).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JimKirk said:

I recall writing something like this up 5+ years ago (match your last stripe color). In the past several years, the trend has become more relaxed (and simpler). Red and white are no longer the "in" colors for base layers.

Basically, if you have black in your umpire shirt, whether it is the main color or a trim color, go with black as your base layer. If you have navy in your umpire shirt, whether the main color or trim color, go with navy.

This applies to both baseball and softball but do check to see if your association has specific details.

IN SUMMARY: past (last trim color); current (match black or navy).

I agree with you... Now that Missouri has finally taken Navy off the baseball field... my red under shirts are getting tossed

• Like 1

A major roadblock to progress was cleared when ASA and USA Softball adopted the new 2016 Panel-style – in three different color combinations – introduced by Smitty to be the “official” officials shirts. The second major roadblock is in the NFHS Rulebook itself, where it puts an imperative on the use of “a navy shirt” unless a state association has an approved shirt instituted. It’s encouraging to note that there is nothing stating what model of navy blue; thus, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the arcane red & white trim thing.

It just comes down to stubbornness and laziness amongst the state governing bodies.

And certainly, it can be derived into new styles. TheOfficialsChoice took the 2010 Vertical Stripe-style and offered it in navy with red trim. It looks quite sharp. And as said, Smitty is making the 2016 Panel-style in Navy with a Sky blue panel. Surely that would satisfy the directive!

So, I find myself getting a lot of grey undershirts. :cool: