Dislodged base after slide

Guest BigVic
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2199 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest BigVic

Runner is making his way to 2nd base and slides.  The base becomes dislodged and the runner is still on the spot where the base used to be.  The runner stands up (he is no longer touching the square where the base usually sits) before getting time and the SS tags him.  The umpire called him out.  Is this correct, or is there an immediate time out because of the dislodged base?

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

1)  There's no "immediate" time out.

2) Depending on the rules., the runner must touch the *base* (a spot in the ground) and / or the *bag* (the canvas sack that usually covers the base).

In the play presented, i'd have the runner be safe.

You can't get the runner that dislodged the base out at that base. Period.  

Other runners have to touch the spot where the bag should be.  (LL can touch the spot or the bag)

4 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Can someone please provide a cite and quote for the OBR ruling? TIA.

google official baseball rules and then search the pdf for "dislodge"

APPROVED RULING: (A) If the impact of a runner
breaks a base loose from its position, no play can be
made on that runner at that base if he had reached the
base safely.
APPROVED RULING: (B) If a base is dislodged from its
position during a play, any following runner on the same
play shall be considered as touching or occupying the
base if, in the umpire’s judgment, he touches or occupies
the point marked by the dislodged bag.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:58 AM, noumpere said:

google official baseball rules and then search the pdf for "dislodge"

APPROVED RULING: (A) If the impact of a runner
breaks a base loose from its position, no play can be
made on that runner at that base if he had reached the
base safely.
APPROVED RULING: (B) If a base is dislodged from its
position during a play, any following runner on the same
play shall be considered as touching or occupying the
base if, in the umpire’s judgment, he touches or occupies
the point marked by the dislodged bag.

So this would apply if a runner continues to run to the next bag and the trailing runner would then have to go to where the base was?

It happened last week with me and since both teams got crossed up and were so confused, I sent the batter back to first base, R1 still was given 3rd base and both coaches were happy with that decision, since they were 9 years old.

I did explain it to the players with the coaches present to teach them what to do next time something like that happens. Was I in the wrong?

38 minutes ago, LVUmp34 said:

So this would apply if a runner continues to run to the next bag and the trailing runner would then have to go to where the base was?

It happened last week with me and since both teams got crossed up and were so confused, I sent the batter back to first base, R1 still was given 3rd base and both coaches were happy with that decision, since they were 9 years old.

I did explain it to the players with the coaches present to teach them what to do next time something like that happens. Was I in the wrong?

Yes -- except in LL (based on my reading of Rich's response) where the runner can touch the "spot" or the "canvas sack"

Most coaches are older than this. ;)

It depends on what you told them.

Just now, noumpere said:

Yes -- except in LL (based on my reading of Rich's response) where the runner can touch the "spot" or the "canvas sack"

Most coaches are older than this. ;)

It depends on what you told them.

Nice catch with the coaches being 9 :) .  They act like it sometimes.

It was a little league minors game, but both the SS and the Runner went to where the base was not where the spot was. So they both took a curve to the base.

I told the coaches that both teams seemed confused on the play, so after I let it play out in case the runner ended up scoring, I had the coaches come together at the plate after the play and said going forward the players must go to where the base was, not where it ended up.  If one team was crossed up I would have made the call, but since both were confused, the coaches agreed since even though it was LL Minors game, they appreciated that I turned it to be a teaching experience for both.  The rest of the game they went to the spot instead of the base.  I put in my report that the breakaway? bases were not secure enough and should be addressed for future games.