Nutty Buddy

UmpJeff
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2395 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well, I found out this week that my investment in a Nutty Buddy was a good one. 

The little "smear" through the 'B' was from a foul ball that bounced off the dirt for a direct hit earlier this week.  The "smear" through 'Nutty' is a result of taking an 85 mph pitch straight from F1's hand directly to my newest best friend, my Nutty Buddy!  (Yeah, directly...F2 completely "dropped the ball"  Luckily, mine were beneath my Nutty Buddy!) 

Yes, I felt the pressure on both direct hits, but no pain at all...none!

I will never use another cup other than the Nutty Buddy.  If any of the brethren have given this cup a thought, get one.  You'll be as glad you did!

Nutty Buddy.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

+1 More. Mine has a similar battle scar. My only complaint is a pitch off my left inner thigh that barely missed the upper part of the NB and chipped my pelvic bone. That was some bad pain for a few weeks., 

• Like 1

I have a Nutty Buddy, and it has saved my "life" more than a few times. In the past year here in the Crucible of Baseball, of all my protective gear items, my Nutty Buddy and shinguards have taken the most amount of hits, nearly 2-to-1 over my masks and CP... combined.

Why's that? I'll frickin' tell you why – it's because I do 10U and 14U baseball, where pitchers can't pitch the required distance, and catchers can't catch (or, in the case of 14U, get lazy). Cup-shots are almost par for the course in LL!

I'm considering trying a Diamond MMA cup and/or a Shock Doctor, if only because both designs have larger, flatter rims / edges to them, to more gently distribute the impacting force. While the goods have been protected, the surrounding landscape has been getting beaten up and bruised.

• Like 1

Took a hard shot last night. I didn't think it was as hard as it was, but even after the pain went away, I had a little blurred vision in one eye and felt light-headed. Took about 10 mins before I was ready to play again. 

I think I might not have had it as far down as I should have. There's a white mark on the cup and I'm going to check on the inside, but it possibly is dented a little.

I really didn't think it hit that hard, came between catchers legs and up from below.

On 6/10/2017 at 8:58 AM, ScubaUmp said:

I love mine!!!!!!! Just found out the have a new one the Nutty Buddy Flex   http://www.purchaseofficials.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=1085

@JimKirk or @Scott Kennedy, any word on these? Maybe some better photos?

Also... no 2 minute videos needed.:no:

Edited by BT_Blue
  • Like 2

Ok...it did its job...but I still got dropped like a sack of potatoes from this shot on Saturday. One bouncer from a kid who was throwing pretty hard. Why is it that the pitchers are always way ahead of the catchers skill wise??? Lol

for some reason the picture is failing to upload...oh well...pretty nasty scrub spot near the right side double holes. I think the shot may have pinched me on the opposite side because that's where the pain was really at...opposite of the impact mark.

14 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Ordering

Pre-order available for orders larger than 100 and/or for military and law enforcement only
Email preorder@nuttybuddy.com for ordering details

Price

$285.00

Ok people I'm taking donations. I will be the guinea pig and test one out.

20 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

Ok people I'm taking donations. I will be the guinea pig and test one out.

I was thinking the same thing, but not so fast.... See, they're on the lookout for folks like you and I....  from their website:

WARNINGS:

Ballistic Cups provide protection against the specified threats when properly sized and worn as directed. Failure to use the proper size Ballistic Cup, to wear the Ballistic Cup as directed, or to adhere to the warnings and precautions provided by NuttyBuddy, Inc. may lead to serious injury or death.

Do not intentionally get shot or otherwise struck by a projectile or otherwise while wearing the Ballistic Cup. GETTING SHOT ALWAYS CARRIES THE RISK OF SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.   :o  Who knew?

#gofundme so I can get shot in the boys

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ofhs93 said:

Ok...it did its job...but I still got dropped like a sack of potatoes from this shot on Saturday. One bouncer from a kid who was throwing pretty hard. Why is it that the pitchers are always way ahead of the catchers skill wise??? Lol

for some reason the picture is failing to upload...oh well...pretty nasty scrub spot near the right side double holes. I think the shot may have pinched me on the opposite side because that's where the pain was really at...opposite of the impact mark.

I have a white spot on the same place. My pain was on that same side though. Is there a slight bump on the area where the 2 air holes are? 

2 minutes ago, udbrky said:

Yes, like is there a spot there by design, where it indents some?

I have the original white NuttyB....  there's a small circular indent right in the center of the cup, between the top and lower air holes.   It appears to be where the plastic form was attached during the manufacturing process.   That's the only indent on mine.   

On 6/11/2017 at 3:50 PM, BT_Blue said:

@JimKirk or @Scott Kennedy, any word on these? Maybe some better photos?

Also... no 2 minute videos needed.:no:

We were offered a chance to retail these. We were worried about how well the rubbery (flex) part would hold up over time...especially when the current Nutty Buddy is already so well loved. So we passed.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

We were offered a chance to retail these. We were worried about how well the rubbery (flex) part would hold up over time...especially when the current Nutty Buddy is already so well loved. So we passed.

Valid concern. I have both the flex and the original.  I use the original as my primary and the flex as a backup mostly because the original is much easier to slide into the pocket of my Battle sliders.  The rubber on the sides of the flex catch and make it harder to get into the correct position. It's a minor inconvenience but the main reason I use the original.