Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3414 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

In my son's game tonight, the opposing team always had 1 defensive coach on the field. At some points 2. During a hard hit ball, our R2 almost ran into him as he was rounding 3B. He was almost out into the infield. 

Is there a rule to keep defensive coaches off the field? He was about a step and a half in front of the dugout entrance. 

Outside of making a travesty of the game. 

Posted

What age?

 

The Green book makes no reference to "an authorized person on the field " being a defensive Coach.  When referencing the defense it's says "player on the field"

 

based on on what I see Defensive coaches are not allowed on the field. 

Posted
1 hour ago, stkjock said:

based on on what I see Defensive coaches are not allowed on the field. 

Unless granted time to confer with his players.

I'll ask once for him to stay in the dugout.  MAYBE.....even twice if I'm in a good mood and if he hasn't been much of a rat.  The 3rd time, I'd make sure he didn't make it on the field any more that night (or their next physically played game)

 

  • Like 1
Posted
38 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Unless granted time to confer with his players.

yea, of course, I answered in the spirit of the OP which was during live ball play.

Posted
5 hours ago, stkjock said:

What age?

 

The Green book makes no reference to "an authorized person on the field " being a defensive Coach.  When referencing the defense it's says "player on the field"

 

based on on what I see Defensive coaches are not allowed on the field. 

Minors and below regular season allow defensive coaches on the field as long as one is in the dugout. 

Posted
Just now, Jimurray said:

Minors and below regular season allow defensive coaches on the field as long as one is in the dugout. 

hmm, I look at my rule book again when I'm home.  I did not see any reference to such.

 

I know many lower age groups (below minors in my experience) this occurs.  I've never seen it in Minors and above. 

Posted
1 minute ago, stkjock said:

hmm, I look at my rule book again when I'm home.  I did not see any reference to such.

 

I know many lower age groups (below minors in my experience) this occurs.  I've never seen it in Minors and above. 

XIV

  1. (d)  A manager or coach shall not leave the bench or dugout except to confer with a player or an umpire and only after receiving permission from an umpire. (Exception: In Minor League and Tee Ball, managers and coaches may be on the field for instructional purposes, but shall not assist runners or touch a live ball. At least one adult manager or coach must be in the dugout at all times.) 

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

XIV

  1. (d)  A manager or coach shall not leave the bench or dugout except to confer with a player or an umpire and only after receiving permission from an umpire. (Exception: In Minor League and Tee Ball, managers and coaches may be on the field for instructional purposes, but shall not assist runners or touch a live ball. At least one adult manager or coach must be in the dugout at all times.) 

I believe there is a distinction somewhere in the LL R.I.M. or the operations manual that differentiates a "competitive" minor league.  I could be mistooken.  Awaiting Coach @Rich Ives input.

Posted

Thanks, this is Majors. 

Coming up into Tournament play, so I want to make sure I'm read up both as a coach and umpire. 

As an aside, for tournament eligibility how do you interpret the rules? I'm reading it as a team needs to schedule and play in at least 12 completed games and individual players need to have played in at least 60% of those completed games. Any thoughts?

We scheduled 16 games per team in 7 weeks. Then it rained all of March, April and the first week of May. Everyone has been scrambling to get in their 12 completed games, but a couple people had said that they were told that players need to playing at least 60% of their scheduled games. Our UIC agrees that it should be completed games, but LL has some bizarre rules. For example, our league sponsors an end of year tournament with a couple neighboring leagues. Gets some different competition for our Minors level and adds a little precursor for going into the tournament, especially for players who might not make a tournament team. We were hoping that those games could be used as regular season games, but that's not the case. Even though it's all the same teams, playing by all the same rules, on all the same fields. Hence the aggressive schedule. 

Posted

Majors 11/12s there should not be defensive coaches on the field in a game ever!

 

@Mister B - there's also an exemption if the kid is on a school team.  FWIW - I've never seen anyone challenge a players eligibility based on games played in 4 years of WP coaching/scorekeeping I was involved with.  Typically when the District meeting occurs, the District prez will confirm eligibility based on geography and age and accept the League prez's affidavit for eligibility (as I recall) 

Posted
36 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I believe there is a distinction somewhere in the LL R.I.M. or the operations manual that differentiates a "competitive" minor league.  I could be mistooken.  Awaiting Coach @Rich Ives input.

They make that distinction but never actually define it.

Posted
5 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Majors 11/12s there should not be defensive coaches on the field in a game ever!

 

@Mister B - there's also an exemption if the kid is on a school team.  FWIW - I've never seen anyone challenge a players eligibility based on games played in 4 years of WP coaching/scorekeeping I was involved with.  Typically when the District meeting occurs, the District prez will confirm eligibility based on geography and age and accept the League prez's affidavit for eligibility (as I recall) 

It's happened at the upper levels where Big League teams were assembled at the district level after the HS season and scrambled/pencil whipped to make a season. Probably one of the reasons LL dropped that age level. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

It's happened at the upper levels where Big League teams were assembled at the district level after the HS season and scrambled/pencil whipped to make a season. Probably one of the reasons LL dropped that age level. 

what's happened? 

Posted
Just now, Jimurray said:

Can't remember exactly. In some cases scorebooks were examined.

oh to prove eligibility to play based on the 60% rule?

Posted
1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I believe there is a distinction somewhere in the LL R.I.M. or the operations manual that differentiates a "competitive" minor league.  I could be mistooken.  Awaiting Coach @Rich Ives input.

No difference. Minors is minors.

Posted

Mr. B, is this one of those idiot bucket sitters, that feel they have the right to be on the field? Get those boneheads in the dugout, and make sure every umpire in your league is on the same page.

 

×
×
  • Create New...