What is best for newer ump?

Guest Doak
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2896 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Have been working with a younger umpire this year.  What is best for his development, more plate work or the bases?  Sometimes a little tight with zone but not too bad.

Some struggles on the bases, does not always seem sure of himself.  I feel the bases can be more difficult at times for a variety of reasons yet your reputation usually

hinges on your platework.  Thoughts?

14 answers to this question

I think that it Is easier for them to be on the bases. When we move guys up, we put them on the bases. It is easier to help them out as you are also watching them to make sure you don't have to cover what they don't. More pressure on the plate, and that can drive guys out of the game.

As a plate ump, we need to know every part of the game, as far as umpire's part of the game, so let him get good at 1 of them then it will make it easier to transition to more plate work. Still have him do some plates, and focus on his zone.

Speaking for myself I would much rather work the plate.  I would have him do a 50/50.  Tough to take your eyes off the ball and focus on first base and listen for the ball hitting the glove.  That would be a thing to teach him and get him experience doing.  Also developing a consistent zone and timing.  I wouldn't just have him work on one area.

3 hours ago, maineump said:

I think that it Is easier for them to be on the bases. When we move guys up, we put them on the bases. It is easier to help them out as you are also watching them to make sure you don't have to cover what they don't. More pressure on the plate, and that can drive guys out of the game.

As a plate ump, we need to know every part of the game, as far as umpire's part of the game, so let him get good at 1 of them then it will make it easier to transition to more plate work. Still have him do some plates, and focus on his zone.

I think you get in much more trouble on the bases than the plate.  Bang bang plays.

I'd try to do both but in high stakes game situations, rookie is behind the plate. I had a 16 year old rookie last year with me for a set of D3 triple crown 13u's. Last minute they changed the fields and didn't inform the chief, we ended up with the D1's which consisted of 4 of the top USSSA elites teams in the country. I stuck the rookie behind the plate all day. Good thing I did as we had some rules scenarios come up that a rookie would have definitely had a hard time handling with while also dealing with those paid, hard core, "professional coaches". Plus, these teams were playing dirty, which made it twice as hard. He'd have gotten eaten alive in the field that day. Next day, we had D3 11u and he took two fields out of three games and he was great, less pressure on the D3 games. UIC told me today, there is a fine balancing act between feeding rookies to the wolves and protecting them, rookies need both to foster growth. Knowing when to protect and when to feed to the wolves is key.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm a plate junkie. Love working back there. I'm probably on the plate 3-5 games for every 1 I'm on the bases. When I was working for the local little league as a kid I'd probably work 1 or 2 base games a season. That mentality stuck with me.

I also agree with two things that have been said previously. First, I definitely think you earn your reputation on the plate. I find that when I'm on the plate more, I have better games and there are less argument besides the grumble here and there. Second, I agree that it's easier to do the plate and the reason is your mistakes are usually less costly, provided they aren't in a pivotal situation. On the bases if you have to make 3 call in one half inning and kick 1 you're accuracy is 66.6%.

When I first started working high school games, my assignors always gave me the plate and I feel like I've gotten better games as a result. In the other leagues I've worked, the plate/base assignments were up to us, so I usually worked the plate and the better games came. That's not to say that you won't get looked at if you do a good job consistently on the bases, but if you miss a call it is magnified because you aren't making as many of them.

Bottom line is that it's important to work both the plate and the bases, so you are well versed in both positions and the rotations become second nature, but in my opinion it's better to work the plate.

Had a rookie call me last night and want me to plate both softball games as he wasn't comfortable, I've heard this from him every time I've run into him at fields. He was my partner this time and he had to plate it, both because he wanted to weenie out and because I'm not allowed behind the plate yet with my foot. Honestly, not knowing softball at all, I would definitely had rather been at the plate.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Please understand, this answer is based on my experiences in baseball both in Wisconsin and roving about "on the road"...

We can all agree that actual game experience is far and away more beneficial and effective than any amount of drills, class work, video watching or manual reading. Each of those other things have their importance in one's learning process, but nothing beats live action. You are fully immersed in the game as PU, no taking a snooze, no tuning out (I'm sure there are guys who have, but for the most part), and the basics of umpiring – fair/foul, safe/out, catch/no-catch – are all right there before you. You are less dependent upon being in the right position because you typically are already there (particulars of best positioning notwithstanding).

In my travels, I have found a certain breed of umpire, when presented with a junior or (by appearances) less experienced partner, get all magnanimous and dictatorial, declaring that he'll take plate, since this will be his game and he will be the one in charge. Plate meetings become long-winded monologues of expectations of fair play, sportsmanship and how to approach and address the umpires. Mechanics oddly become more demonstrative and deliberate, and rotations become more disjointed, primarily because the BU, being less experienced, doesn't quite know the best positions and angles to take. The PU, who feels he needs to show the rookie how it's done, overcompensates and over-officiates.

Teams figure out pretty quick who is the one in charge and in control. Does it matter if it's the PU or BU? Not really. I can still be a resource on rules interpretations as a BU, and a great deal of "little things", like subtle balks, pickle positioning, situational positioning, etc. when mitigated by an experienced BU can make the game go much smoother. 

So, in my home leagues, the LD's and assignors often send me the rookies and novice umpires, and you know what happens? That game is usually their first game as PU (at least as a 2-man crew).

• Like 1

The de-emphasis of the BU in our culture is disturbing to me. BU's are every bit as important, and as has been stated, it is likely the more difficult position, necessitating a greater emphasis on positioning, mechanics, and focus, yet it seems the reality of things is headed the other direction. I see a lot of REALLY sloppy base work, which results in a ton of 'stuff' from coaches/managers. There's not nearly enough emphasis on base mechanics in our area. 

That said, I had opportunity to work with one of the most experienced NCAA umpires in our area the other day in a 'non-college' game. He was assigned the plate and I was to work the bases. I was excited about this, hoping to glean and learn from him. A few hours before the game, he called me and said 'I'm giving you the plate', and he did just that. He didn't try to play 'UIC' from the bases, nor did he hover over me, but he was helpful in a mentor/coaching sort of way. I have another game with him later on in the summer, and I'm actually hoping we switch roles so he can help my base work too. 

More of this needs to happen, equally on bases and the dish. 

14 minutes ago, kstrunk said:

The de-emphasis of the BU in our culture is disturbing to me. BU's are every bit as important, and as has been stated, it is likely the more difficult position, necessitating a greater emphasis on positioning, mechanics, and focus, yet it seems the reality of things is headed the other direction. I see a lot of REALLY sloppy base work, which results in a ton of 'stuff' from coaches/managers. There's not nearly enough emphasis on base mechanics in our area. 

That said, I had opportunity to work with one of the most experienced NCAA umpires in our area the other day in a 'non-college' game. He was assigned the plate and I was to work the bases. I was excited about this, hoping to glean and learn from him. A few hours before the game, he called me and said 'I'm giving you the plate', and he did just that. He didn't try to play 'UIC' from the bases, nor did he hover over me, but he was helpful in a mentor/coaching sort of way. I have another game with him later on in the summer, and I'm actually hoping we switch roles so he can help my base work too. 

More of this needs to happen, equally on bases and the dish. 

These are really good points. Little things that can make a base ump better are:

• Make the call from the correct place (call at 1B - be on B side of mound, when inside)
  • Angles - Angles - Angles
  • Know when to go out and when to come in
  • Don't start too deep (in any position)
  • Watch the ball !!
  • Don't back pedal - use athletic moves and steps to get to your spot
  • Open to the ball
  • Be stopped to make the call
  • Like 3