Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3840 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted
10 hours ago, dvangundy said:

Runners on 1st and 3rd.  What is the proper position for the base umpire (B or C)?

 

10 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Either

Agreed -- so check with the Citrus Belt Association to see what they want.  Chances are, it's B.

Posted

In Kansas, two years ago they said C, but last year they changed it to B. Having tried both, I feel like I'm in a better all-round position to see everything I need to see when I'm in B.

Posted

B 

Your only responsibility for R3 is a pickoff/back pick which you can see just as well from B as you can from C

On an extra base hit you are only responsible for R1's touch of 2nd since it's a rotation situation.

You are responsible for both ends of a double play, pickoff at 1st and steal at 2nd. These 3 (or 4 if you include a play at 1st) situations are why you need to be in B.

  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...
Posted

At the risk of stating the obvious, I will add to what @MidAmUmp said by saying that, once the ball is batted into play, you have no responsibilities for R3, unless he somehow gets hung up between third and home. Logic dictates that you would want to be closest to your responsibilities, which will be R1 and B1.

×
×
  • Create New...