2016 NFHS Baseball Exam 1

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2253 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

8 hours ago, DWDIII said:

They threw out this question 

I don't know what you mean by "they threw out this question." I got it wrong on my 2016 exam, and in reviewing my exam just now, it is still marked as wrong. (My only wrong question. My fault, of course. But I was laughing too hard at the first sentence to read the rest of it accurately.)

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure if I should start a new topic for this.  These are 3 questions I've had a hard time finding explicit answers to in the rules and case books for the part 2 test:

At the pre-game conference, the home plate umpire issues a warning to both teams for any player wearing jewelry while participating in the game.
  • a.
    • Any player on either team caught wearing jewelry for the first time in the game will be ejected.
  • b.
    • A warning for the wearing of jewelry may not be given at the pre-game conference.
  • c.
    • If an umpire observes a player for either team wearing jewelry while in the game, he may issue a warning to both teams at that point.
  • d.
    • A team warning should be given if a player is observed wearing an ear stud in the dugout.

3-3-1:  

ART. 1 . . . A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:

d. wear jewelry (players participating in the game) or wear bandannas;

PENALTY:  At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected. 

The pitcher takes his position in an illegal, “hybrid” position on the pitching plate with a runner on first base.
  • a.
    • A balk shall be called immediately when the pitcher assumes this illegal position.
  • b.
    • A balk would be called when the pitcher made a move to pick-off the runner at first.
  • c.
    • A balk would be called when the pitcher begins his delivery to the batter.
  • d.
    • Both B and C.
    •  
    • Having a hard time finding rules for this one, other than an illegal pitch is a balk.  
A pitch dropped during a delivery with the bases empty is:
  • a.
    • An illegal pitch.
  • b.
    • A ball if it crosses the foul line.
  • c.
    • A dead ball and declared a no pitch if it stops prior to crossing the foul line.
  • d.
    • B & C.

Think it might be D but not sure about the "dead ball" part of choice C.  6-1-4:   ART. 4 . . . Each legal pitch shall be declared by the umpire as a strike, ball, fair or foul hit or a dead ball. A pitch dropped during delivery and which crosses a foul line shall be called a ball. Otherwise, it will be called no pitch. A pitch dropped during delivery with at least one runner on base would be a balk if it does not cross a foul line.

• Like 1

1) (Jewelry) -- You quoted the rule yourself.  It's not illegal for someone not actively playing to wear jewelry.  So, the warning has to be given when someone playing violates it.

2) (Hybrid) -- See these interps:

SITUATION 5: The pitcher places his pivot foot on the pitching plate with the toe of the pivot foot in front of a line through the front edge of the plate and the heel of his pivot foot behind the back edge. His non-pivot foot is in front of the line extending through the front edge of the pitching plate. The pitcher attempted to pick-off the runner at second base. RULING: This is an illegal pitching position. When the pitcher moved in his pick-off attempt, he made an illegal pitch and a balk would be enforced. (6-1-2 Penalty)

SITUATION 7: The pitcher places his non-pivot foot on top of the pitching plate at a 45-degree angle with one-third of his pivot foot in front of the front edge of the pitching plate and the heel of his pivot foot behind the back edge of the pitching plate. His non-pivot foot is entirely in front of the front edge of the pitching plate. Without making any other movement, the pitcher places his pivot foot entirely behind the pitching plate. RULING: The pitcher initially assumed an illegal pitching position. Since he made no other movement, he is allowed to step back off of the pitching plate with his pivot foot and correct his illegal position. (6-1-2, 3)

3) (Dropped Pitch) -- (tortuous) -- It's not an illegal pitch (answer A), so it must be a legal pitch.  It can't be "declared by the umpire as a strike, ball, fair or foul hit" so that only leaved "dead ball."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

3) (Dropped Pitch) -- (tortuous) -- It's not an illegal pitch (answer A), so it must be a legal pitch.  It can't be "declared by the umpire as a strike, ball, fair or foul hit" so that only leaved "dead ball."

"6.1.2 SITUATION A:

With no runners on base, F1 starts his windup or preliminary motion and the ball slips from his hand.

RULING: There is no infraction provided F1 delivers a pitch within 20 seconds after he received the ball. If F1 fails to do so, the batter is awarded a ball. If there had been a runner or runners on base, dropping the ball while in contact with the pitcher’s plate is a balk if the ball did not cross the foul line. Each base runner shall be awarded one base."

I'd like to use that rationale to avoid calling an IP when F1 stops his delivery with no one on.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...