RLI ...once again draws an argument

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3182 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

To answer Mr. Nafxos’ earlier question about consideration of level of play—yes. Check out the definition of “Ordinary Effort”  found in the Definitions of Terms (old rule 2.00):

ORDINARY EFFORT is the effort that a fielder of average skill at a position in that league or classification of leagues should exhibit on a play, with due consideration given to the condition of the field and weather conditions.

(Ordinary Effort) Comment: This standard, called for several times in the Official Scoring Rules (e.g., Rules 9.05(a)(3) (Rule 10.05(a)(3)), 9.05(a)(4) (Rule 10.05(a)(4)), 9.05(a)(6) (Rule 10.05(a)(6)), 9.05(b)(3) (Base Hits) (Rule 10.05(b)(3) (Base Hits)); 9.08(b) (Sacrifices) (Rule 10.08(b)) (Sacrifices)); 9.12(a)(1) Comment ((Rule 10.12(a)(1) Comment), 9.12(d)(2) (Errors) ((Rule 10.12(d)(2) (Errors)); and 9.13(a), 9.13(b) (Wild Pitches and Passed Balls) (Rule 10.13(a)), 10.13(b) (Wild Pitches and Passed Balls)) and in the Official Baseball Rules (e.g., Definition of Terms, Infield Fly), is an objective standard in regard to any particular fielder. In other words, even if a fielder makes his best effort, if that effort falls short of what an average fielder at that position in that league would have made in a situation, the official scorer should charge that fielder with an error.

I don't see 5.09 in that list nor do I see the term "ordinary effort" in 5.09 (11) / 6.05 (k).  That would have made sense to define a term and then use it all over the rules.  But they didn't, and I don't think 6.05 (k) implies the same standard as the infield fly rule. 

Does a major league first baseman have a chance to catch this ball. IMO -yes. So its an out. The idea of quality throw has to do with can the first baseman make the play, not was it really an ideal throw.