Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3724 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

But even tennis, where they do have similar optic systems, haven't eliminated line judges. It will evolve.

I know this is an old post, but...  Tennis did eliminate one official with technology.  Remember the guy who sat at the net with his hand on top of the net-cord to call Lets on serves?  I don't think the computers are fast enough to make every line call in real time during a match.  One day they may get there.

The guys on MLB Network talking about eliminate the HP umpire just don't understand what the umpires do.  The technology is, at least, close to being able to replace the umpires calls of balls and strikes but that's it.  Still need the HP umpire to call CI, BI, tips, checked-swings, etc., and you'll need him there to call any pitches that the technology fails to record.

 

Posted

Watching baseball this season, I coudn't help thinking there is no need for base umpires.  They get the no brainer calls right, the calls when there is no doubt in anyone's mind of the correct call. But the close call that must be analyzed from five different angles in super slow motion make the original call of the umpire moot.  I guess we would still need someone to determine obstruction or interference.

I just don't believe robot umpires will add to the game or accomplish what non umpires think it will.

Posted

This weekend I had a chance to hear a MLB umpire and a MLB umpire reviewer (also a D1 Ump), talk about how what they were seeing from the review cameras was changing how they were umpiring on the field. For example on plays at the plate they are seeing that the high first base dugout camera was most often giving them the best view of plays at the plate so they have started taking most plays at 3BLX and rotating from there. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

  • 8 months later...
×
×
  • Create New...