Fitness Challenge

Jocko
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3359 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok guys. I saw a pic of myself working a plate and thought, "OMG! WHAT A FAT FKN SLOB!"

So I'm doing something about it. I count every calorie of everything that passes my lips. I'm doing strength training and cardio 3-5 days @ week. Just a couple weeks in and I'm seeing dividends. I look better, sleep better, feel better about myself.

So, who's gonna accept the challenge? Who's gonna endeavor to be healthier and look/feel better. When I started I weighed in at 267. The weight is falling off. I'm gonna be 237 by xmas.

Amazing how sedentary I'd been. Just a bit of conscious thought about my food and gallons of sweat and I feel better than I have in a long time. I was lazy, depressed, and just didnt give a fk. I do now.

What's your excuse?post-2162-0-48052400-1409436725_thumb.jppost-2162-0-20697900-1409436946_thumb.pn

• Like 1

I applaud you, buddy @Jocko, but I don't need a challenge to keep me going...

I'm 6'2", 206 lb... Bike 3 times a week, plus play competitive soccer at least once if not twice a week, plus umpiring. I could stand to lose 5-7 lbs, especially with snowboarding and hockey coming up.

Oh, did I mention I'm 39? Gotta keep it off with a lot more attention than 5-10 years ago, or else it will creep back on ya. _Make sure you hydrate_ with _water_ and green tea. Be wary of energy and recovery drinks – check the ingredients. High Fructose Corn Syrup is your chief adversary. "Sugar" is a better alternative, while "cane sugar" is the most preferred option. Otherwise, if you need electrolytes over and above water, may I suggest SmartWater? Avoid Powerade like the plague.

Any Diet drinks should be heavily scrutinzed if you're going to drink them.

While your focus on what you eat is commendable, keep in mind another major piece of the equation is _when_ you eat.

• Like 1

I applaud you, buddy @Jocko, but I don't need a challenge to keep me going...

I'm 6'2", 206 lb... Bike 3 times a week, plus play competitive soccer at least once if not twice a week, plus umpiring. I could stand to lose 5-7 lbs, especially with snowboarding and hockey coming up.

Oh, did I mention I'm 39? Gotta keep it off with a lot more attention than 5-10 years ago, or else it will creep back on ya. _Make sure you hydrate_ with _water_ and green tea. Be wary of energy and recovery drinks – check the ingredients. High Fructose Corn Syrup is your chief adversary. "Sugar" is a better alternative, while "cane sugar" is the most preferred option. Otherwise, if you need electrolytes over and above water, may I suggest SmartWater? Avoid Powerade like the plague.

Any Diet drinks should be heavily scrutinzed if you're going to drink them.

While your focus on what you eat is commendable, keep in mind another major piece of the equation is _when_ you eat.

I'm 41. Lol. I drink water mostly. And Glaceau VitaminWater. I eat my calories now instead of drinking them.

I ACCEPT.

I'm 5'9" and 210 pounds. I'd like to be at 190 by January 1st when I leave for Wendelstedt.

find your TDEE and stick to the plan. It takes work, but it's doable.

I accept. I started training last week. My goal? To run the LA Marathon on March 15th. Last Sunday I weighed in at 258.9lbs. My goal by race day is to be 210. I have to run 4 days a week minimum and one day of cross training. Thinking of running a half Marathon in January as a tune up.

• Like 2

Hell, I'm in. None of you need to know my weight but as I am 5'3, it's far too much...Just remember y'all! Don't count the calories, just make them count. Doesn't matter if you're eating 1,200 calories worth of pizza, you aren't getting anywhere. As my fighting coach says "Eat cleaner, not less." 

Make sure to forgive yourself every night and start over every day. Beating yourself up won't get you anywhere, you're going to make mistakes...

And the biggest thing...don't count your progress by your pants size or the number on the scale. Judge it on being able to run further, take more stairs, sleep better, and feel better. Otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

Muscle is not gained during lifting, it's gained during rest. Make sure you give yourself days off. Running is more fun with an epic playlist or a buddy. Oatmeal is the greatest breakfast possible. Be sure you're doing it for yourself. 

And if you want a god damn cheeseburger, EAT THE DAMN CHEESEBURGER. You're not going to gain ten pounds. Eat food that's good for the body but don't forget about your soul as well. HOWEVER you guys all need to realize diet is 80% of it. It doesn't matter if you're lifting all day and doing cardio all night, if you aren't eating CLEAN, you aren't going to get fit.

Park further away from the door is possible, to work, to the store, etc. Every bit helps. Make a list of WHY you want to get fit and put it up where you'll see it every day. If you don't enjoy your workout, change it. It doesn't have to be in the gym. I punch people to get my workout. :D Biking, paddleboarding, skiing, find something that appeals to you. (Paddleboarding is actually a fantastic workout.) The more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn at rest. Swimming is also great and doesn't seem to take much effort. And perhaps most importantly, learn the difference between THIRSTY, HUNGRY, and BORED.

"When you lose your excuses, you'll find your results."

I'll take the challange, I need to drop 75-100 though yea I'm out of shape. I think I'm 5'6" or something like that, and 225 pounds. I hope to be at 125-150 this time next year, I found a calorie calculator and it says by exersizing 1hr daily and sticking to a 2,000 caliore per day diet I'll drop 2lbs a week. I figure I'm shooting to drop 100 and with 50ish weeks per year I'll be at my target this time next year!

Hhmmmmmm ............

5'10.75 , 223.7 the other morning at 5:50am 

I'm going on vacation Oct 1, but ...I like the Fall better for trying to lose weight.  I've stopped having a beer/cocktail during the week.  Water intake is UP, and I've started biking a few miles every other day (soon to increase).   

My goal is 200 lbs by Thanksgiving, and hopefully (albeit doubtful because of the Holiday Season) .... under 200 by first HS Season pitch!

This shot from July doesn't look too bad ...but still, ....I want to be @200

• Like 1

_Make sure you hydrate_ with _water_ and green tea. Be wary of energy and recovery drinks – check the ingredients. High Fructose Corn Syrup is your chief adversary. "Sugar" is a better alternative, while "cane sugar" is the most preferred option.

HFCS and sugar have very similar effects on the body.  The battle between those sweeteners is far more political than scientific.

Hhmmmmmm ............

I'm going on vacation Oct 1, but ...I like the Fall better for trying to lose weight.  I've stopped having a beer/cocktail during the week.  Water intake is UP, and I've started biking a few miles every other day (soon to increase).   

My goal is 200 lbs by Thanksgiving, and hopefully (albeit doubtful because of the Holiday Season) .... under 200 by first HS Season pitch!

You are sucking in your stomach on this shot!

Hhmmmmmm ............

You are sucking in your stomach on this shot!

I didn't know it was being taken, so ....no, I can't say that I was

I'm with BigUmpire on this one (except I'm a runt when compared to him, okay to anybody. Hahahaha) but more sex sounds like the best plan I've ever heard of. How does Mrs. BigUmpire feel about this? That's always a problem isn't it? An equally committed workout partner.

Up to jogging 2 1/4 miles a day. Lost 9 lbs this week. I am sure that is just the initial weight from eating healthy. My goal is to be jogging a 10 minute mile and 3-4 miles a day when my training starts for the Marathon. Official training day starts September 29th.

• Like 1

Not a dig or a shot but.....what's wrong with just plain water?

I use a Brita pitcher to filter tap water and fill six plastic and aluminum bicycle bottles a day and drink, drink, drink. I'm full so I don't eat that much. I'm hydrated to the gills and it's good for you.

I use a Brita pitcher to filter tap water and fill six plastic and aluminum bicycle bottles a day and drink, drink, drink. I'm full so I don't eat that much. I'm hydrated to the gills and it's good for you.

Electrolytes need replenishing.

Alternate between water and the other.

Alternate between water and the other. You don't need to replenish any electrolytes until you've been sprinting for 90 minutes. Water really in the best, or green tea.

Alternate between water and the other. You don't need to replenish any electrolytes until you've been sprinting for 90 minutes. Water really in the best, or green tea.

Can you cite a source of your research?

In the sandboxes the rule was" if you dont have to pee constantly, you are not drinking enough fluids"

• Like 1