Obstruction? Fake... Not tag, but possession

John S.
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3602 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

It might also depend on what the "verbal" is -- and how the restriction is enforced / interpreted in any given area.

If HS-Jeter said "get down" or "break it up" -- then verbal OBS.  But if he said "turn two" -- I would still have that as legal in FED.

Seems the restriction is only on the specific fake tag, not on fake actions:

6.2.4 SITUATION E:

With R1 on second base, F1 wheels and fakes a throw to second on a pickoff attempt. As R1 dives back to the base, F4 and F6 run into short center field as if chasing an errant throw. R1 seeing this, takes off for third base where he is thrown out by F1.

RULING: This is legal and is not considered unsportsmanlike conduct. R1's base coaches have the responsibility to keep R1 informed.

Bonus question: In OBR a tag is a touch of the runner with the ball or a touch of the base (1B or a force out). In Fed a fake tag is obstruction. Why then is a fake force play not obstruction in Fed ?

Because in FED, a 'tag out' and a 'throw out' are separately defined ... 2-24-4 and 2-24-5

• Like 1

Bonus question: In OBR a tag is a touch of the runner with the ball or a touch of the base (1B or a force out). In Fed a fake tag is obstruction. Why then is a fake force play not obstruction in Fed ?

The fake tag OBS is to avoid possible injury on a runner sliding for no reason., since there is no advantage to be gained by sliding on a force play the "fake force" is not an OBS. 1

Bonus question: In OBR a tag is a touch of the runner with the ball or a touch of the base (1B or a force out). In Fed a fake tag is obstruction. Why then is a fake force play not obstruction in Fed ?

The fake tag OBS is to avoid possible injury on a runner sliding for no reason., since there is no advantage to be gained by sliding on a force play the "fake force" is not an OBS. 1

huh ? why do runners most always slide on a force play...it keeps them from pulling a hamstring stopping a base over-run if they don't slide (same reason non-force play runners slide).

Back up to post #7 for the correct answer. This OBR/Fed diff was another that I had forgotten.

huh ? why do runners most always slide on a force play...it keeps them from pulling a hamstring stopping a base over-run if they don't slide (same reason non-force play runners slide).

Back up to post #7 for the correct answer. This OBR/Fed diff was another that I had forgotten.

I just rolled into work. I guess I'll wake up before posting next time. 1

To attempt to break up the DP and get out of the way of the throw.