I've moved up a step on the ladder!

Rulekeep
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3632 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Logged on to my email during third period to find out that I'm being recruited as an emergency umpire tonight, for the high school's opening game!!

So I guess I umpire HS now, too. But still, who's brilliant idea was it to bring a 14 year old onto the field full of 15 and 16 and 17 year olds...?

I don't know, I'm not complaining.

I may be high status in LL but this is really a twist.

I'm a high school umpire now! Yeah! 

I have four hours to learn everything possible about HS ball. Some Sort Of Deity, save me. 

• Like 1

It sounds like you've worked solely little league, so make sure you're familiar with the proper mechanics for working inside the diamond.  I would advise arriving early so you can have a thorough pregame with your partner.  Don't go out there trying to prove yourself.  Treat it as a learning experience, and accept that you might make mistakes.  Concentrate on slowing your timing down, and take time to absorb every play.

And try not to suck  :)

• Like 2

All obstruction is a delayed dead ball and a minimum one base award for the obstructed runner.

All balks are immediately dead - no play can result after a balk has been called.

F1 can't pick from the windup.

F1's free foot when in the windup must be touching, or on a line with the front edge of the rubber.

F1 can still feint to third.

F1 must set with any part of his glove at or below the chin.

F1's pivot foot must be completely within the length of the rubber.

F1 must come to a discernable stop when in the set position with or without runners. (Don't go out of your way looking for this with no runners)

Force play slide rule.  One a force play, runners must slide in a direct line between bases, or away from the fielder making the play.  Don't watch for this too long.  As BU, you must turn with the throw to rule on the play at first.

There are other rules that you would need to know as PU, but no need to list them.

• Like 2

Congrats.  14 year old umpiring similar and slightly older players could be interesting.  Be tough, be fair and Don't suck!

Honestly, everybody is a bit "HUH?" over putting a younger kid at the season opener. At least I'm not working plate...

@Rulekeep

I bet you'd be better with your young age and limited experience than my partner was last night.  He had 1 year of experience spread out over the last twenty five or so years.  I've had better rookie, high school/college aged first year partners than this guy.

@Rulekeep

I bet you'd be better with your young age and limited experience than my partner was last night.  He had 1 year of experience spread out over the last twenty five or so years.  I've had better rookie, high school/college aged first year partners than this guy.

I know that guy...he gets around  :D

All obstruction is a delayed dead ball and a minimum one base award for the obstructed runner.

All balks are immediately dead - no play can result after a balk has been called.

F1's free foot when in the windup must be touching, or on a line with the front edge of the rubber.

F1 must come to a discernable stop when in the set position with or without runners. (Don't go out of your way looking for this with no runners)

Force play slide rule.  One a force play, runners must slide in a direct line between bases, or away from the fielder making the play.  Don't watch for this too long.  As BU, you must turn with the throw to rule on the play at first.

There are other rules that you would need to know as PU, but no need to list them.

All 100% correct (of course) but my advice would be to not call too much of this stuff.  It is (somewhat) better to miss something and not call anything than to call something that isn't there.  Just grab the obvious, pass on the rest and tell the coach it was borderline.

• Like 4

All 100% correct (of course) but my advice would be to not call too much of this stuff.  It is (somewhat) better to miss something and not call anything than to call something that isn't there.  Just grab the obvious, pass on the rest and tell the coach it was borderline.

Completely agree.  Great advice.

Game was one hour and seven minutes, a 2-1 no-hitter with a seven out inning!

I show up 45 minutes early, in black, and my two partners are in navy. HPU tells me not to panic and loans me his spare navy base shirt. So I spent the whole game in a shirt three sizes too big, but eh. Forecast called for rain but it was clear, sunny, and warm. Game started in the mid fifties dropping to very high forties, so no jackets for us! (Oh, don't make that face, you SoCal-ers.) My nerves got the best of me and I drank more Gatorade than is usually healthy, something I started to regret about the fifth inning. Blew threw a pack of gum too, all puns intended. When I came onto the field, both teams started yelling "Potato, potato, potato, first base blue is a potato!" I later found out that they do that to all rookie umps and it's says "Your eyes are useless." Har, har, har.

First half inning was bang, bang, bang. Then the East Juneau team comes up and blasts two solo shots, and then strikeout, two walks, strikeout, pickoff. West Juneau comes back and get the bases loaded on walks and then on the last K, the ball gets away from the EJNU catcher who throws wild to first, scoring a run. Strikeout the next batter and the game continued. Had a play I thought a missed but nobody commented. HPU was run over by the catcher but stayed in the game after a few seconds delay. Both my partners said I did a good job handling the heckling and the plays. Game went to East Juneau, JD High. Go Bears!

I dig this gig.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, and the WJNU coach called me a "compulsive freak" after the game because I was brushing bases and fixing chalk lines.

Oh dear Lord, no, this post alone could turn this into a 5 page marathon.  So:  don't.  Just don't do that.