Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4675 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I noticed that the advertising for the All Star MVP4000 notes that it is "rated" for pitches exceeding 100 mph.

 

My question is, are there ratings for traditional masks?  Is one style/brand/configuration safer for higher levels than another?

 

Just wondering.

Posted

I noticed that the advertising for the All Star MVP4000 notes that it is "rated" for pitches exceeding 100 mph.

 

My question is, are there ratings for traditional masks?  Is one style/brand/configuration safer for higher levels than another?

 

Just wondering.

I believe All-Star has tested the FM25, the FM2000 and FM4000 with their air-cannon up to 95 or 100 mph .... but I'm not 100% sure

Posted

I'd feel safe behind any All-star gear. They make sure everything exceeds NOCSAE standards rather than meet them like other manufacturers.

There are 2 things wrong w/ your statement, ....  first, be careful, that may , or may not necessarily be true.   Second, NOCSAE is only applicable to helmets (HSM's) and/or helmet-mask combinations, therefore, NOCSAE doesn't apply to us umpires

  • Like 1
Posted

 

I'd feel safe behind any All-star gear. They make sure everything exceeds NOCSAE standards rather than meet them like other manufacturers.

There are 2 things wrong w/ your statement, ....  first, be careful, that may , or may not necessarily be true.   Second, NOCSAE is only applicable to helmets (HSM's) and/or helmet-mask combinations, therefore, NOCSAE doesn't apply to us umpires

 

I'm not real keen on their shin guards. I wore a pair in two games and was hit in both games. It hurt, and it hurt bad. I sold them later at a loss. Went back to Wilsons.

Posted

 

 

I'd feel safe behind any All-star gear. They make sure everything exceeds NOCSAE standards rather than meet them like other manufacturers.

There are 2 things wrong w/ your statement, ....  first, be careful, that may , or may not necessarily be true.   Second, NOCSAE is only applicable to helmets (HSM's) and/or helmet-mask combinations, therefore, NOCSAE doesn't apply to us umpires

 

I'm not real keen on their shin guards. I wore a pair in two games and was hit in both games. It hurt, and it hurt bad. I sold them later at a loss. Went back to Wilsons.

 

That's wierd, ....this season was shin-season for me for some reason, ...got popped about half dozen times this year and never felt anything but pressure

Posted

I used an All-Star HSM for about 3 weeks during the last summer season. During an 18u game, I took a foul ball straight to the mask. The shot bent the double-bar and cracked the helmet. I returned the mask later that week.

Posted

 

There are 2 things wrong w/ your statement, ....  first, be careful, that may , or may not necessarily be true.   Second, NOCSAE is only applicable to helmets (HSM's) and/or helmet-mask combinations, therefore, NOCSAE doesn't apply to us umpires

 

You're right. I was mistaken. Guess I've got to reevaluate my sources. All-star does test their masks and helmets to beyond the NOCSAE level, which is something like 68 mph. But I was wrong in that NOCSAE itself doesn't certify any traditional masks. Learn something new everyday! Thanks Thunderheads.

Posted
I used an All-Star HSM for about 3 weeks during the last summer season. During an 18u game, I took a foul ball straight to the mask. The shot bent the double-bar and cracked the helmet. I returned the mask later that week.
So Let me get this straight. You bought an HSM and it protected you like it should. Then you demanded your money back.
  • Like 1
Posted

I used an All-Star HSM for about 3 weeks during the last summer season. During an 18u game, I took a foul ball straight to the mask. The shot bent the double-bar and cracked the helmet. I returned the mask later that week.

So Let me get this straight. You bought an HSM and it protected you like it should. Then you demanded your money back.

Yup.

Posted

 

I used an All-Star HSM for about 3 weeks during the last summer season. During an 18u game, I took a foul ball straight to the mask. The shot bent the double-bar and cracked the helmet. I returned the mask later that week.
So Let me get this straight. You bought an HSM and it protected you like it should. Then you demanded your money back.

 

It's the same like the time you ate "ropa vieja" at the restaurant and they refunded your money and told you to never come back.  :fuel:

  • Like 2
Posted

I used an All-Star HSM for about 3 weeks during the last summer season. During an 18u game, I took a foul ball straight to the mask. The shot bent the double-bar and cracked the helmet. I returned the mask later that week.

Bought one at the beginning of the season along with some TW pads for my traditional mask. Just didnt like it for one reason or another. Might have been the bulk or the way it felt, but returned it after wearing it about 3 or 4 games. Man reason for the switch back was more then likely me testing out the traditional mask with the TW pads and loving it.

Posted

After returning the HSM, I bought a silver Diamond mask. I just bought black TWs and look forward to using them in the spring.

that is exactly what I have. The only issue with mine was that I took a hit at the end of the HS season that broke a weld on the bottom of the mask. Thinking of getting it rewelded and powder coated black and use as my back up mask that I will be buying this year.

by the way... TW pads = Awesome!

Posted

I have the All-Star FM4000. I have taken a few direct shots with it and i didn't feel a thing. I have since put on TW pads and am excited to use them. I have also bought a Wilson TI and am planning on putting TW pads on it too. Any comments on the Wilson TI wrap-around pads?

×
×
  • Create New...