Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4806 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

They're only tough when my freaking team makes them WAAAY harder than they need to be.  Why the HELL does Valbuena not just throw to 1st for the 3rd out like the entire stadium, both ball clubs, and all 4 umpires expect?  Well, they don't like to take the easy way out.  They'd like to make sure there is a potential to botch the play!

Posted

I had something like this working solo this year. "La, la-la, la. I'm getting in position for a play at first. La, la-la, la. Wha . . Going home? LEFT FOOT GREEN?! Crap."

There's a lot more of this sort of thing with young players.

  • Like 1
Posted

I had something like this working solo this year. "La, la-la, la. I'm getting in position for a play at first. La, la-la, la. Wha . . Going home? LEFT FOOT GREEN?! Crap."

There's a lot more of this sort of thing with young players.

 

 

Yep, it changes your mechanics when they don't make the expected play.

Posted

They're only tough when my freaking team makes them WAAAY harder than they need to be.  Why the HELL does Valbuena not just throw to 1st for the 3rd out like the entire stadium, both ball clubs, and all 4 umpires expect?  Well, they don't like to take the easy way out.  They'd like to make sure there is a potential to botch the play!

 

He must have thought there was only 1 out....and/or he flaked out.

Posted

One thing I was always taught is never 'expect' something to happen the way you think it should. Follow the ball in every situation. We had an issue where we were running 3-man mechanics, R1 and R3. R1 steals, U3 is in 'C' turns to look for a throw at second but, it doesn't, it goes to 3rd. U3 doesn't see it and HP doesn't see it, so U2 has to make the call all the way from first base. Interesting and honest mistake, but that's why you learn and move on. Also, had one where I was in 'C' runners on 1st and 2nd, groundball to 3rd, he touches the base and I am thinking he is going to 1st, but he goes to throw to 2nd. I had to do a 180 to see the play at 2nd, but I did see it in time and made the right call. Just happens.

×
×
  • Create New...