Little League International is Looking for a Director of Umpire Development

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3790 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

That sounds like a fun job!  Is southern California considered to be within commuting distance to Williamsport?

Come on.

In this day and age, SDix could help set up the tech so you could do the job from home in your PJs :spit:

• Like 1

Anybody know of someone who might be interested in this job?

Nice to see LL is getting a UIC.    Hope he is on board with what they are trying to do out West. 

http://www.littleleague.org/learn/newsletters/Fairball_Newsletters/2013/May13/Director_of_Umpire_Development.htm

Steve, what are we trying to do out West? Aside from them killing our Junior Umpire Training Academy, I'm not sure what differences WP and WR have.

I wonder what the compensation would be for such a gig.  I'd actually be interested in applying for such a position, but at this point in my career / life, I really don't want to take a big step backwards...

I wonder what the compensation would be for such a gig.  I'd actually be interested in applying for such a position, but at this point in my career / life, I really don't want to take a big step backwards...

@RichMSN

I applied, and I was responded to quickly that they couldn't afford to pay me. I was willing to relocate and take a 20 to 30% cut. So I took the cut and sent it to them.

The HR Director said I wasn't in the ball park and was not even in negotiable area. I think, but she didn't say, they are looking in the 35 to 40K area.

That's laughable. Little League thinks that even their full time salaried employees should live in relative poverty. Or maybe 70 percent of the job should be done as a volunteer.

I thought about applying, but clearly they would've laughed at my salary requirement and shredded my application.

I'll just stay an umpire, I suppose.

Sent via Android phone on Tapatalk2

I myself live within commuting distance of Williamsport. Believe it not, that's actually a good salary for this area anyway. Although I will say for a "Director" level, that is low. Had I not started a new job some time ago, this would have been my "alternative" career path for sure.

Sounds like a great gig for a younger retiree who has a nice pension from his previous career and still young enough to devote full time energy to a job catering to his passion. Wish I fit the bill. 

Non-profit making 24.5 million in revenue in 2011.

Expenses 21.6 million in 2011

Salary and other compensation 6.975 million in 2011

45 hour workweek

CEO ------------------------------------------------------------347k +   77k other compensation

VP-risk management-------------------------------------------84k +  40k other compensation

Sr. VP Admin/CFO---------------------------------------------206k +   44k other compensation

VP-Treasure----------------------------------------------------103k +   36k other compensation

SR. VP Operations&Program Develop.-----------------------147k +   32k other compensation

VP Communications---------------------------------------------84k +   28k other compensation

VP Marketing---------------------------------------------------112k +     22k other compensation

Non-profit making 24.5 million in revenue in 2011.

Expenses 21.6 million in 2011

Salary and other compensation 6.975 million in 2011

45 hour workweek

CEO ------------------------------------------------------------347k +   77k other compensation

VP-risk management-------------------------------------------84k +  40k other compensation

Sr. VP Admin/CFO---------------------------------------------206k +   44k other compensation

VP-Treasure----------------------------------------------------103k +   36k other compensation

SR. VP Operations&Program Develop.-----------------------147k +   32k other compensation

VP Communications---------------------------------------------84k +   28k other compensation

VP Marketing---------------------------------------------------112k +     22k other compensation

It's clear that they don't see this as a management position.  That's fine -- it's their position and they can fill it anyway they like.  I just don't think they get a career-minded person at 40K - 50K.

The closest fit between what I do and what they have at LL is the VP of Marketing (I'm the Chief Marketing Officer of a small software company).  The pay, in general, for those positions, is fairly low compared with for-profit businesses with the same revenue/expenses.  Exactly what I'd expect, BTW, since they are a non-profit.

Agreed! Even higher down here in Philly area. But since I still have 2 colleges to pay for, 40K won't cut it. But I would love to live up there. (@mstaylor  thinks that is mountains? Flatlander from Delaware/Eastern MD. :wave: )

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

They found their man apparently.

http://www.littleleague.org/media/llnewsarchive/2013/Jan-Apr/Little_League__Names_New_Director_of_Umpire_Development.htm

As Rich said, I think it's obvious they don't see this as a management position, which is unfortunate I think. Proper training of their volunteer umpires should be a higher priority. If I read this correctly, it sounds like this is the man's second job. It's a bit disconcerting that he only began umpiring LL games in 2009 though.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad we, as umpires, finally have a voice again in WP. It's been too long.

I've got no trouble with his resume. To try to get a guy/gal with more LL experience, to relocate to that end of the world, for that amount of $, would be tough. So, hats off to this fellow for stepping in.

That said, it would be nice if he returned emails. I tried to get his view on Junior umpires, and have got zip in return. Oh well.

They found their man apparently.

http://www.littleleague.org/media/llnewsarchive/2013/Jan-Apr/Little_League__Names_New_Director_of_Umpire_Development.htm

As Rich said, I think it's obvious they don't see this as a management position, which is unfortunate I think. Proper training of their volunteer umpires should be a higher priority. If I read this correctly, it sounds like this is the man's second job. It's a bit disconcerting that he only began umpiring LL games in 2009 though.

I'm surprised they are paying him at all. This example of their policy towards umpires is from the LL website: " There is no sound reason for paying umpires, or any other person whose services should be provided on a volunteer basis. " I mostly enjoyed volunteering for LL for the first 5 years, but they got what they paid for-a dad doing the best he could with zero training, community gear (one set for everybody), no uniforms (seriously, hawaiian shirts and shorts for me), and not even a rule book till I tracked one down myself. Once they started paying something, there was a core that started taking it more seriously and now there are umpires that resemble umpires (and still some that volunteer and look like volunteers in the lower leagues). Hopefully they got more than they paid for in the new guy and he helps them to change their corporate mentality towards umpires. Volunteering to coach your kids is hugely rewarding and it makes sense that people will do that. Relying on volunteers to officiate (babysit coaches and parents) is very different when you consider working conditions (abuse by your neighbors), cost of uniforms/quality equipment, and time/cost of training.

• Like 1