WS assignment

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3986 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I received notification a while back, but didn't want to intentionally toot my own horn.  After thinking about, I have been honored with quite a milestone.  I have been invited to umpire in the 2013 SRLL World Series in Bangor, Maine.  I will be visiting maineump and his contingent Aug 11-17.  I hear they put on quite a show in Stephen King's back yard.  I guess I'll have to keep my sarcasm and quick witted remarks (normally reserved for the likes of Jax and such) to a minimum.

• Like 8

Fantastic!

At least one of the regulars on this board worked in Bangor as recently as a couple years ago. BY FAR the best crew of the entire LL Intl. WS crews. Looked sharp, hustled, zero fumbles.

We will be watching!!!!

Congrats!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations.

I worked in Bangor in 2011.  Our ESPN final was a quick run-rule game.  I had one call the entire 5-innings (I was U2).

The experience through the week is phenomenal.  The people that run the umpire side of the tournament treat you like you're an umpire, not some after-thought.  I had an ejection (line drawn after a called third strike) and the only comment made was that they would've been disappointed if I hadn't shown the kid the gate.

I've worked 2 regionals (I'm doing my third and probably final one this summer) and one World Series now and my week in Bangor is right at the top of my list.

Practical matters: Take a few pairs of your own pants with you, especially plate pants -- I know they're providing pants, but when we got them the tailoring was all done badly and they ended up telling people to use their own.  I didn't bring my own, of course.  And take a hat you like to use on the plate, too.  And take warm under clothing (they'll provide a jacket -- it gets cold in Maine in August at times).

(I could say a few more things, but those would probably be best done via private message.)

I've worked 2 regionals (I'm doing my third and probably final one this summer) and one World Series now and my week in Bangor is right at the top of my list.

Rich, you are very fortunate to have those opportunities.  I know you're a really good umpire because I watched you last year on TV and you looked great.  I wish these types of opportunities were as available here in the West, but as I understand it, our entire district gets one umpire to the West regional approximately every 8 years.  I don't know anyone that has been to two.  There are just so many leagues out here, and so many umpires, that it's basically a once in a lifetime chance.

Rich, you are very fortunate to have those opportunities.  I know you're a really good umpire because I watched you last year on TV and you looked great.  I wish these types of opportunities were as available here in the West, but as I understand it, our entire district gets one umpire to the West regional approximately every 8 years.  I don't know anyone that has been to two.  There are just so many leagues out here, and so many umpires, that it's basically a once in a lifetime chance.

I'm 30+ pounds lighter than last year -- I hope I'd look even better. :)

You guys have it tough in California and in the WR.  I certainly know we have more opportunities here.

After the Junior Regional this season, I only have 2 WS left to apply for, and not until 2015 at the earliest.  We don't have Big League and I haven't seen any movement towards the Intermediate level locally.  And while I know of ways to get qualified for those assignments, I have always felt that I'll only apply for what I work locally.  In other words, son't expect to see me on a softball field anytime soon. :)

I'll continue to volunteer locally and work most of July for LL for free.  I enjoy the people and the experiences.