Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4913 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Last night in a 13/14 year old game we had R1 with no outs and I'm BU. R1 steals on the 1-1 pitch. As catcher goes to throw, the batter bumps into him making the throw go way off mark. My partner stands there and makes no call.

My question is this, as BU do I have any authority to make that call? The runner ended up on third due to the wild throw. I almost made the call, but let it go not wanting to invade on the PU's territory.

Thoughts?

Posted

Wait for the end of playing action, call time, and tell your partner what you saw (away from everyone). Live with what he chooses to do.

BI is not the BU's call.

Posted

In the described situation, leave this one alone as BU.  PU is 3 feet from the CI.  If he doesn't make that call, it is on him.  He had his own reasons for a no call.  I will say that if PU was simply not a deer caught in the head lights, and did in fact NOT have CI in this situation, better mechanics would have helped him and you out.  A crisp visual safe signal along with a verbal "That's nothing" would have been appropriate. 

  • Like 2
Posted

Let your partner ask.  Don't bring it to him, as it will make the entire stadium wonder wtf is going on.  It's his call. 

  • Like 2
Posted

Let your partner ask.  Don't bring it to him, as it will make the entire stadium wonder wtf is going on.  It's his call. 

 

Agree.  I see it quite frequently (exactly as you describe) but that's PU's call.  No, he can't get help on it.

 

PU needs to learn the rule, then have the confidence to implement it. 

 

Many times, umpires don't have the confidence, or the mechanics knowledge to make the call so they don't call anything.  

Posted

In the described situation, leave this one alone as BU.  PU is 3 feet from the CI.  If he doesn't make that call, it is on him.  He had his own reasons for a no call.  I will say that if PU was simply not a deer caught in the head lights, and did in fact NOT have CI in this situation, better mechanics would have helped him and you out.  A crisp visual safe signal along with a verbal "That's nothing" would have been appropriate. 

Good post and exactly how it should be handled.

 

And like Bam said, if YOU go to him, you are telling everyone I think you f'd up.  He made the call, its his job to own it.

Posted

I will agree that BU should leave it alone unless and until the PU comes to him in that case you can give what you got -- maybe PU knows its interference but doesn't know the ruling on it or something.

Posted

I hear what others are saying about letting PU ask BU for help. In general, that's probably right, and for the reasons stated.

In at least 2 situations, however, I would go to him if I were BU: (1) he's newer and might not know how to handle the situation, or (2) everyone in the ballpark except him knows he missed it, and getting the call right leaves me no choice but to go to him.

Posted

I'd agree, stay put unless you are asked by the PU for help.  Also, if it was that obvious did the defensive coach come out and talk to the PU?

Posted

Leave it alone. Make sure you discuss it after the game. It's a call that gets missed a bunch, usually because they don't understand it.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

  • Like 1
Posted

Funneee..  Today I had that play.  Batter lunges fr low outside pitch with R1 running.  F2 collides with batter directly in fornt of the plate.  I yell "THAT'S OB... INT... OB..."  By the time I look up R2 is safe at 2d.  "TIME.  YOU (batter) OUT.  YOU (runner at 2d) BACK TO FIRST."  Christ!  Spit it out, ya stammering bastard....

  • Like 3
Posted

I have seen BI so obvious that I almost didn't make a call at second, but no call cometh. I had it happen in a college game with a very experienced partner. It was so bad the catcher had to pump once before he could throw. Manager came out and the PU told him he didn't call it because the catcher pumped.  :smachhead: I'm thinking he pumped because of the BI. I had that conversation after the game and just wouldn't back away from his call.  :shakehead:

×
×
  • Create New...