Jump to content

Annual... Game Fees Question... Let's see who got a raise or not


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5722 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Right now our association is getting 55-60 dollars for regular season varsity, but I'm hearing noises that some of our schools are looking for concessions. Funny, I don't see any administrators taking pay cuts. Last year the state completely took over assigning tournament play and made a real mess out of it. I drove nearly 50 miles for first and second round games(sectionals), and worked with seriously under-qualified partners. By the way, in our state, mileage($1 per mile) doesn't kick in until you're over 50. In years past the only assigning the state did was for regional(final 16) and state(final four), which worked out fairly well because coaches, ad's and assignors had input.

  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

We dont use assignors in the upper part of the state ( indiana ) so you contract personally with the individual Athletic departments of each school. There is no mileage. If you take the game, you take the fee, and we get paid normally before the game. Depending on the Athletic Director, fees can go anywhere from 45-70, There is no rhyme or reason that I can see, its what the school is willing to pay.

Posted

In Louisiana we split $110 for varsity ($65 plate, $55 bases + travel). However, they are supposed to be voting Friday on whether or not to give us a pay raise, effective immediately! From what I've heard, if the vote doesn't pass they're talking about a statewide strike by high school umpires. Anyone else have anything like this or ever had anything like this before?

Are you guys in a union? If not, lot's of luck getting everyone to cooperate. Don't get get me wrong, I'd love to see umpires in our state organize, if nothing else but to negotiate tournament fees and working conditions. However, that's never going to happen with over 3,000 umpires and some 65 different associations.

Posted

But that's what your association is there for they should be negotiating with the schools in your best interest. If you don't feel they are vote them out. Let them know you think the positions should be paid the same.

Posted

In Tennessee, we were supposed to get a $5.00 raise this year to $70.00/game and raise the DH rate from $85 to $100/game.

The schools balked at the DH rate change and we did not get either one.

Posted

In Louisiana we split $110 for varsity ($65 plate, $55 bases + travel). However, they are supposed to be voting Friday on whether or not to give us a pay raise, effective immediately! From what I've heard, if the vote doesn't pass they're talking about a statewide strike by high school umpires. Anyone else have anything like this or ever had anything like this before?

I cringe everytime I get a call from a youth league that ask me to do a plate, saying they will get somebody to do the bases because anybody can do bases. :WTF:banghead: If the policy is set by umpires, that is close to criminal.

Too bad we all don't quit one year and let them get the anybody's out of the stands for a year. Heck, let's have them get a plate guy out of the stands also. Or maybe let the coaches call the game.

OK, OK, to add a little flavor to this without having to mention any numbers specifically. How much more or less *******percentagewise********do they pay basketball and football at the HS level for everyone who has answered. Yes I realize they consider baseball non-rev and that they also use a lot of 3 man in hoops. Just find this topic interesting, at least for me.

Posted

Last year, JV payed $55-$62.50. I had one freshman game that paid $60. I don't know what varsity pays.

Football, I got $70 to $75 for varsity, and $45 to $50 for frosh and JV.

Posted

Last year the state completely took over assigning tournament play and made a real mess out of it. I drove nearly 50 miles for first and second round games(sectionals), and worked with seriously under-qualified partners. By the way, in our state, mileage($1 per mile) doesn't kick in until you're over 50. In years past the only assigning the state did was for regional(final 16) and state(final four), which worked out fairly well because coaches, ad's and assignors had input.

Me too!

Posted

In Tennessee, we were supposed to get a $5.00 raise this year to $70.00/game and raise the DH rate from $85 to $100/game.

The schools balked at the DH rate change and we did not get either one.

ohmy.gif WOW... that is a huge difference between a single and a DH you only get $15 more for another 2-3 hrs... maybe you need to rotate crews to work the second games of the DH then everyone gets $70/gm... maybe that would get them to buck up the extra cash for the DH...

Posted

In Louisiana we split $110 for varsity ($65 plate, $55 bases + travel). However, they are supposed to be voting Friday on whether or not to give us a pay raise, effective immediately! From what I've heard, if the vote doesn't pass they're talking about a statewide strike by high school umpires. Anyone else have anything like this or ever had anything like this before?

I cringe everytime I get a call from a youth league that ask me to do a plate, saying they will get somebody to do the bases because anybody can do bases. :WTF:banghead: If the policy is set by umpires, that is close to criminal.

Too bad we all don't quit one year and let them get the anybody's out of the stands for a year. Heck, let's have them get a plate guy out of the stands also. Or maybe let the coaches call the game.

OK, OK, to add a little flavor to this without having to mention any numbers specifically. How much more or less *******percentagewise********do they pay basketball and football at the HS level for everyone who has answered. Yes I realize they consider baseball non-rev and that they also use a lot of 3 man in hoops. Just find this topic interesting, at least for me.

Years ago when I was still doing all youth, no HS or NCAA, The local guys quit the men's league because they would give them more money. They were using some awful umpires and by halfway through the season they called back to ask them to come back at the requested amount. They called me but I declined because I felt I wasn't at that level yet.

Posted

I couldn't agree more. With runners on, the field umpire, in my opinion, has many more things to focus on! Calling the bases is very difficult, especially in a 2-man. I was just saying what our pay is, and I think it is a very good motivator to get those guys who just want to stand out there, behind the plate. I wouldn't know any other way!

I'm in a South LA association and last night at our meeting we were informed that 3 associations in North LA would be going on strike and that we would discuss it further nexy Monday when the board is present. I'm really hoping we don't strike bc i'm ready for the season to start!

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

We get paid by inning in my area of Arkansas, Northwest part. Does not matter if it is a plate, base, Jv, Frosh or varsity. 14 innings is $110 and works down from there, no mileage.

Posted

We get paid by inning in my area of Arkansas, Northwest part. Does not matter if it is a plate, base, Jv, Frosh or varsity. 14 innings is $110 and works down from there, no mileage.

So, you guys get $7.86 per inning?

Strange rate.

Posted

In Louisiana we split $110 for varsity ($65 plate, $55 bases + travel). However, they are supposed to be voting Friday on whether or not to give us a pay raise, effective immediately! From what I've heard, if the vote doesn't pass they're talking about a statewide strike by high school umpires. Anyone else have anything like this or ever had anything like this before?

I know this has been discussed many times, in many places, but I have never understood paying a differential between bases and plate. While plates can be challenging, correctly done bases are every bit as tough or tougher. Most places that do it, the policy is set by people that have no clue how to umpire. I cringe everytime I get a call from a youth league that ask me to do a plate, saying they will get somebody to do the bases because anybody can do bases. :WTF:banghead: If the policy is set by umpires, that is close to criminal.

Agreed that bases is every bit as hard as the plate. A couple of reasons I can see why plates are paid at a higher rate:

1. They are the UIC. They make the calls on forfeiting games, stopping games due to darkness, weather, etc.

2. Hazzard pay - it's pretty rare to take shot out there on the bases.


×
×
  • Create New...