Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5832 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Hey Brian ....I was just going to post this for everyone!! B) Thanks for thinking of me! ;)

Pete, no problem, ...thanks !!! :D

YES, this is a wierd one! The only way that Nelson could have called that fair is if he say it, or determined it was "on the line" next to the dish ....but video doesn't really PROVE anything .........

WAIT ...I'm standing corrected here ...........look at :48 ...that's foul! And why I say that is from the part of the video before it where you see the ball from the side, that in conjuction with :48, then the fact that Halladay didn't run .........

Edited by Thunderheads
Posted

Very close but fair. Think about how the foul line meets the plate, it was between the plate and the inside edge of the box touching the line, fair ball.

Posted (edited)

Very close but fair. Think about how the foul line meets the plate, it was between the plate and the inside edge of the box touching the line, fair ball.

For some reason I can't upload a picture so you can see it, but ....look at a diagram ...the only way it's fair is if it's touched above the "point" ...which it wasn't ........

Edited by Thunderheads
Posted

Very close but fair. Think about how the foul line meets the plate, it was between the plate and the inside edge of the box touching the line, fair ball.

Well, it was clearly not on the plate still. And, based on where Posey picked it up when the side view to the plate is shown, I believe it was a foul ball. When F2 picked it up, the ball came back to him and was no longer even with the imaginary rectangle part of HP. It backed up even with the triangle part which means it cannot be in line with the extended part of the 1B line unless it was still over or touching part of the plate. Look at 0:55 and you will see what I mean by where F2 touched the ball.

I think PU missed it b/c F2 blocked him. But, it was in favor of the Phillies so "Good call, Blue!" :D

Posted

You're the resident MLB video guru - -

where's the video of Halladay's bunt in tonight's game? Crazy play there, no doubt!

Maybe the resident critic...

Posted (edited)

Maybe the resident critic...

How's that Jim? I like to post videos of anything umpire related, questionable, good, etc ....

If you're calling me, or want to call me the resident critic because I'm one of few on here willing to say "that was wrong" or "I THINK that was wrong" to the guys wearing the black hats, ...then so be it, I'm the critic.

I don't think you'll find me on here anywhere saying the mlb guys suck or that I could do better. If so, please feel free to show me .......

These guys are the best of the best and for a reason. But it doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes. We're all on this board to learn, right? I was always told, watch as much baseball as you can and watch what the pro umps do to learn, ...and that holds true here too, ...sometimes in bad situations, but mostly, ...good ...

Edited by Thunderheads
Posted

Right on, Jeff... it just seems like I seldom see your posts that show how hard all of these guys work... only the wackers that in real time could go either way. I enjoy your videos... keep up the good work.

Posted

Right on, Jeff... it just seems like I seldom see your posts that show how hard all of these guys work... only the wackers that in real time could go either way. I enjoy your videos... keep up the good work.

Isn't it interesting to you (it should be) to hear / see what others think about a play that could go either way? Or, great mechanics? (which you've obviously failed to see me post, which I do quite a bit, mind you.) Do I "slam" the ones that could go either way?

Have you ever seen me post something followed by, ..."this guy sucks!" ?? Nope.

You don't enjoy them Jim, or you wouldn't have commented like you did. If you dont' like, don't join in. That said, you're surely entitled to your opinion.

Posted

I was site managing volleyball last night so I didn't see it live but one of the school employees said it was a horrible call by the umpire. Now he doesn't know my background so I asked what happened. He explained the play and said He-who-shall-not-be-named was adamant that it was foul and you know that he is usually spot on on the rules. :big_no:wow:

I told him that Tim was an idiot that wouldn't know the right rule if it struck him in the butt. I explained my knowledge base then how it was possible to be fair but having not seen it couldn't say for sure.

Posted

I thought I heard the first announcer say it was foul since it wasn't in front of the plate. He was immediatley trumped by the other guy saying it would be foul if on the plate.

Posted

How's that Jim? I like to post videos of anything umpire related, questionable, good, etc ....

If you're calling me, or want to call me the resident critic because I'm one of few on here willing to say "that was wrong" or "I THINK that was wrong" to the guys wearing the black hats, ...then so be it, I'm the critic.

I don't think you'll find me on here anywhere saying the mlb guys suck or that I could do better. If so, please feel free to show me .......

These guys are the best of the best and for a reason. But it doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes. We're all on this board to learn, right? I was always told, watch as much baseball as you can and watch what the pro umps do to learn, ...and that holds true here too, ...sometimes in bad situations, but mostly, ...good ...

+1. These LCS games have proven the old adage "to err is human.... There have been a lot of learning moments presented alrceady. Opps there's another one on an obvious HBP.


×
×
  • Create New...