Buying a new set of shin guards

benrosen
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4372 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok , I have done my research and have been an active member on this board so do not yell at me for brining up this subject.

I will be purchasing a new set of shin guards later this week. My $25 champros are no longer satisfactory. I have a pair of Reebok plate shoes , so i do not need the foot protecting flap that some shin guards offer. I am currently leaning towards the AllStar model, but I am very on the fence about this. I know that I need a size 17, and price is not really an issue. Any helpful comments would be appriciated.

I use these along with Reebok plate shoes.

post-102-0-96450700-1336454820_thumb.jpg

These are TOP-of-the-line hockey shins, Reebok 10K's, and as long as you use plate pants and not combo, they work great. I've taken many shots to them and have never felt a thing except happiness that I could trust my shin guards. The only baseball umpire ones I would recommend are the Douglas, which I used to have.

I have the All Star LG2000 and really like them. I wear these with the Reebok LM low. They are comfortable, not too bulkiy, cool and protect as well as anything I have worn (WV Charcoal and Honigs K2010). The padding is removable and washable. This is important for me as I am wearing a bulky knee brace due to a sprain of the MCL. I was able to remove the patella pad and these fit perfect. Not so with my other SG's. The Delta Flex keeps them where they belong.

Bottom line, I would offer this endorsement, as soon as I put them on that is the last time I think about them until I take them off.

I have the All Star LG2000 and really like them. I wear these with the Reebok LM low. They are comfortable, not too bulkiy, cool and protect as well as anything I have worn (WV Charcoal and Honigs K2010). The padding is removable and washable. This is important for me as I am wearing a bulky knee brace due to a sprain of the MCL. I was able to remove the patella pad and these fit perfect. Not so with my other SG's. The Delta Flex keeps them where they belong.

Bottom line, I would offer this endorsement, as soon as I put them on that is the last time I think about them until I take them off.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I CONCUR! :D

Nope, the squeaks are gone. I took the advice of the posters on here an taped the D-rings and haven't heard a word since.

The bottom padding that touches my plate shoes was frayed and there was even a small hole in the padding after maybe 5 games. Jeff is fixing them when they arrive down in Texas. He thinks there is a rogue burr or something on the leg guards that's rubbing on the padding, causing the wear and tear.

Will report later.

I am with JohnnyG. I have both the Douglas and new All-Star. Both are great. The Douglas are my #1s right now due to the fact that the ankle protection stays put and does not flair out like the all-stars do with my reebook and new balance 460 plate shoes. I wish I could delta-flex the douglas guards, but the way they are made you would have to cut off the old straps and get the delta flex straps sewn on.

Can't go wrong with either. There are pros and cons with both. Mainly pros through. I love the washabilty of the all-stars, but I love the reconditioning that douglas will do on theirs. Both are very comfortable as well.

Happy shopping.

I have Pro Nine umpire leg guards and like them quite a bit.

http://www.lestersup...knee-p-354.html

i have worn the pro nine for 7 years , they are very well made . the knee design is a bit big , but very well padded . the pro nine knee design has a very similar "patella type pad " to the new allstar Lg 1000/2000 . at about half the price !!!!

marc

I also have to say that the one thing I really like about the Douglas is the ankle protection design. Yes, I know it adds weight, but I just don't like the flair

For those of you who have never seen the new Douglas guards in person, they are incredibly incredibly light. Far lighter than the Wilson black triple knees & the gray double knees. Sure they are expensive, but with their reconditioning its not a stretch to imagine you couldnt get 10 or so years out of a pair, if not more.

My size is out of stock for the All Star , so should I move up to an 18"?

Not unless you can stretch your leg by an inch. It's a bit different from shoes where sizing up is not a big issue. If your true size is a 17, get a 17.

For what these cost. Get the right size. There's no point in getting the wrong size.

While both are great shin guards...I paid for my Douglas' and got my All-Stars comped...I would get the Douglas. The price point is similar and I think you will get more longevity out of them. I do not know if All-Star reconditions, but I know Douglas does for a fee. The way the padding is made on the douglas it can't be machine washed like the All-Star, but it can be cleaned. I am not sure how the white padding that is permanently attached to the all-star guards will hold up over time either. The padding is starting to pull apart or lossen a bit by the ankles on both my all-star shins.

I will still wear both sets, but right now the Douglas are what I am wearing the most. Love the fit, love the ankle protection, and they are so much lighter than my old wilson triple knees that I sold to a guy here. They remind me of the protection of a wilson with a weight more similar to the All-star.

Happy Shopping.

Question about the Douglas: how are the knee sections attached/formed? Are they like the Wilson triple knees and attached with Velcro? My biggest issue with the Wilson set is that my knee sections come un-Velcroed at times and kinda flop/float around. Thanks for any info.