Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5903 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I had my yearly equipment bag and closet cleaning last week. I have a buddy who started officiating this year. The guy is serious about learning the rules and mechanics, but he was using some gear that was going to get him hurt in big boy ball.

So I gave him a Honigs K1, his choice of an All Star bucket or Wilson dynalite, two black ball bags, plate brush, indicator, line up card holder w/ pencils, and the large roller bag I used before I bought the Diamond.

I hadn't used any of these things in quite some time, but he acted like a kid on Christmas morning.

If you have stuff sitting around gathering dust, find someone who would truly appreciate it and give 'em a good deal on it!

  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Good job.

We had a young man that worked LL Minor games for us this year.

It was his 1st year.

He stated the year with some plate gear he had picked up, 1 Blue Shirt, 1 ball bag, indicator, plate brush and hat.

He wore gray pants and steel toed shoes he got from Walmart.

Since he was working hard and showing improvement every game, 3 of us got together and purchased a pair of Smitty Charcoal Grey pants from Ump-Attire for him at mid-season.

We should always be looking for talent to help in our avocation.

We all know that it is not cheap to get good quality gear.

Posted (edited)

Great stories.

Soooo today, I went and cleaned out my closet.

I found a Honig's K1 protector and Honig's K10 shin guards (17 model). If you know of someone who could use either or both, send me a PM, I'll make them one heck of a deal.

Edit: added model size of shin guards.

Edited by twjones
Posted (edited)

Yesterday, I had a partner, who, after being told never to bring a cell phone to the field, asked, "How do you know what time it is?"

It was one of those teaching twin-bills for me, but the guy was really raw. After the game, he said that he wanted to hear what I have (could have been about four hours' worth), but he's a single dad and he had to go pick up his daughter from the babysitter. He does these adult league games because he can't afford to play in them anymore, and has to make a few bucks instead. They put the new guys with guys like me so that they'll pick it up sooner. It amounts to about a fifth of my Sunday MSBL schedule, and my willingness to do them and not turn them back gets me the sweet assignments at the better parks for the other Sundays. :rollinglaugh:

Well, after I got a view of the whole picture, I really was heartsick for the guy. I know he could use some uniforms. He drove up with only a h.s. navy and powder and some with heather combos hanging in the back of his old, beaten-up car next to the child's seat. (I already let him leave with the polo blue shirt I lent him.) I know he can use some accessories (he sported a faded-out heather gray ball bag, and a thin dress belt). He could use a manual or two.

I have done this before, because I accumulated this gear I hoped my son would use (oh, well), but I gave it to a colleague's son to get him started instead. He even had the right size foot for some turf shoes I had.

So, thanks for getting us in the spirit with this topic. It feels nice.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty
Posted

I have a pair of Plus Pos plate shoes that were given to me. If anybody knows of someone that needs a pair to get started, pm me and I'll send'em to you. Shipping will be free. They have had some use, but they're not bad, especially if you don't have a pair of plate shoes. I think they are a 10 or 10.5.

Posted

I had originally kept my gear for my son to use. But there was also an old buddy that wanted to try umpiring. So I outfitted him and made a call to a buddy of mine who assigns a PONY league program. I figure I'd start the guy out at 12-under to get his chops without too much danger.

Then, I invited him to a three-man intrasquad game at a local D-I university so he could watch my plate game. He sat there as the fourth man in the locker room and listened to our pre-game. After going over all of those signs and rotations and coverage options and contingencies, he was dizzy.

After the game, he said, "I don't know ... I thought I could know pretty much what to do, but that looks like there's way too much to know. I had no idea. I don't think it's for me."

Sometimes, you can't make an umpire out of even the best fan. He would have looked cool in those Spot-Bilts. :shakehead:

..

Posted

Most of my hand-me-downs go to the kids at the local Little League park. I've got 30+ kids who work for me, and we have a big dressing room full of top notch gear. Plus, I've been able to score some pretty crazy stuff at a local thrift store, that I've resold on eBay, to fund even more gear. Seeing 11-15 year olds walk out on the field with pro gear is pretty cool.

Posted

Most of my hand-me-downs go to the kids at the local Little League park. I've got 30+ kids who work for me, and we have a big dressing room full of top notch gear. Plus, I've been able to score some pretty crazy stuff at a local thrift store, that I've resold on eBay, to fund even more gear. Seeing 11-15 year olds walk out on the field with pro gear is pretty cool.

11 year old Umping? Really?

Youngest I have seen is 21.

Posted

Most of my hand-me-downs go to the kids at the local Little League park. I've got 30+ kids who work for me, and we have a big dressing room full of top notch gear. Plus, I've been able to score some pretty crazy stuff at a local thrift store, that I've resold on eBay, to fund even more gear. Seeing 11-15 year olds walk out on the field with pro gear is pretty cool.

:rock:shakehead:

That is awesome!

Posted

I started calling when I was 13 or 14. I think I was calling Little League District Tournaments when I was 15 or 16. Glad I started young. First HS game was when I was 18. Calling in the playoffs at 20.

I wish there were more young umpires out there. It seems that every year I might work one or two games with someone younger than me. That was not a big deal a few years ago, but now that I am 31, it is starting to make me worry about where the future umpires will come from.

Posted (edited)

11 year old Umping? Really?

Youngest I have seen is 21.

Give them the proper training, backing and evironment, the kids can do it. Heck, this season we put two guys (both 15) on LL Section plates, one doing 11/12s and the other a 9/10 championship dish. Both were money. And Section games in SoCal are a big deal. (Well, big for LL)

Out West, LL has a really cool, one week live-in school just for Junior umpires ages 13-18. It's Evan's based training, and run by some very good teachers. Guys that do college and pro ball, not just LL guys. Game management, and dealing with tough situations is stressed, as these guys have double duty in handling adult situations. Easy? For everyone? No way. But they learn a lot of good life lessons along the way, plus pick up a nice vocation for getting them through college. Plus, it keeps the kids involved with something positive when their playing days are over. Not a bad deal for everyone.

So that's where my spare gear goes. (and all my spare time)

Edited by kylejt
Posted

Give them the proper training, backing and evironment, the kids can do it. Heck, this season we put two guys (both 15) on LL Section plates, one doing 11/12s and the other a 9/10 championship dish. Both were money. And Section games in SoCal are a big deal. (Well, big for LL)

Out West, LL has a really cool, one week live-in school just for Junior umpires ages 13-18. It's Evan's based training, and run by some very good teachers. Guys that do college and pro ball, not just LL guys. Game management, and dealing with tough situations is stressed, as these guys have double duty in handling adult situations. Easy? For everyone? No way. But they learn a lot of good life lessons along the way, plus pick up a nice vocation for getting them through college. Plus, it keeps the kids involved with something positive when their playing days are over. Not a bad deal for everyone.

So that's where my spare gear goes. (and all my spare time)

My hat off you you guys that are working with today's youth! Now I feel motivated to do this one day. Once I get a better understanding of what I am doing as far as Umpiring knowledge. Rules, Mechanics, Networking, etc I will try t get others in the association to help me.

Great job guys!

Posted

I've been giving away gear for years, partly because I had a guy give me some stuff when I got started.

Had something new happen this year. Back in the early spring, I gave a friend some +POS shin guards that I used for about 10 years. I have the black Wilsons now, but those shins were still in pretty good shape.

I saw my buddy a couple of weeks ago and asked him how he liked the shin guards. He told me he decided the local slow pitch softball league was easier money and never wore them. Then he said he sold them for $20!

I thought that was pretty lousy - I thought he could have at least given them away since I gave them to him - but I didn't say anything to upset our friendship. This is the only time I've given away gear that it wasn't used and appreciated, so I guess all in all that's not a bad track record.

Posted

I gave away my old Honig's gear (K1, Double knee shins, high top plate shoes, ultralight frame) to a college student this year. It was all 8-10 years old (from my college days) the stuff was not in the best shape. I wish I knew back then what I know now about keeping my gear up. I don't think he really like umpiring, but he has a buddy that he is going to give it to for him to give it a shot.

Plus it seems that I am always giving away ball bags to guys that use the plastic ones. I hate those things. Worthy every penny that a ball bag costs me to get rid of them one at a time.

Posted

... it seems that I am always giving away ball bags to guys that use the plastic ones. I hate those things. Worthy every penny that a ball bag costs me to get rid of them one at a time.
:D

My very last MSBL partner was sporting this faded gray ball bag. It was even lighter than his pants, which were already too light to conform. At the car, I said, "Throw out that gray ball bag; I'll give you a black one."

I ordered these "professional" ball bags once, and when I got them, they said Smitty! And they had pockets that were too deep. I complained and they sent me some Diamonds. I didn't like those particularly well. I ordered a set of Gerry Davis "professional" ball bags, which were the absolute worst of their kind in the industry. I complained and they sent me two more. I asked for my money back and they sent me two more. I also had the set of Honig's that I retired when the Dri-Los and the Ump-Attire Ultimates came along. (I'm sure I'll be giving away my navy Honig's soon. If I'm the plate guy, I never call for navy, so I don't need those babies, either. )

So those are the ball bags that I give to guys like the gray ball bag guy. Sometimes I'll give somebody two. I stopped one kid from going onto the field with one of those royal blue waterproof nylon jobs. I made him physically ditch it in a trash can right in front of me. I gave him the two virtually new Diamonds.

Posted

:D

My very last MSBL partner was sporting this faded gray ball bag. It was even lighter than his pants, which were already too light to conform. At the car, I said, "Throw out that gray ball bag; I'll give you a black one."

I ordered these "professional" ball bags once, and when I got them, they said Smitty! And they had pockets that were too deep. I complained and they sent me some Diamonds. I didn't like those particularly well. I ordered a set of Gerry Davis "professional" ball bags, which were the absolute worst of their kind in the industry. I complained and they sent me two more. I asked for my money back and they sent me two more. I also had the set of Honig's that I retired when the Dri-Los and the Ump-Attire Ultimates came along. (I'm sure I'll be giving away my navy Honig's soon. If I'm the plate guy, I never call for navy, so I don't need those babies, either. )

So those are the ball bags that I give to guys like the gray ball bag guy. Sometimes I'll give somebody two. I stopped one kid from going onto the field with one of those royal blue waterproof nylon jobs. I made him physically ditch it in a trash can right in front of me. I gave him the two virtually new Diamonds.

:clap::D:clap::cheers::clap:

Posted

:D

I ordered these "professional" ball bags once, and when I got them, they said Smitty! And they had pockets that were too deep. I complained and they sent me some Diamonds. I didn't like those particularly well. I ordered a set of Gerry Davis "professional" ball bags, which were the absolute worst of their kind in the industry. I complained and they sent me two more. I asked for my money back and they sent me two more. I also had the set of Honig's that I retired when the Dri-Los and the Ump-Attire Ultimates came along. (I'm sure I'll be giving away my navy Honig's soon. .

Kevin and I seem to always have the same things happen to us....so back in the day I was an all +POS guy....unis, gear, ball bags, accessories etc......I had a pair of +POS Black logo ball bags and a pair of +POS Navy logo ball bags....and I loved them......

So at one game or another I must have set the Black ones on top of my car or on the grass and drove off.....+POS was by then on hiatus and getting +POS replacements were impossible.....

I had a partner who was stopping by our local supplier and I had him buy me two Black replacements.....

when I got them, they said Smitty too! And they were cheap..... I complained and they sent me the Diamonds as well....The diamonds were of even lesser quality...I then ordered a pair from Honigs and found them acceptable......

So if anyone has lost their mind and has some BLACK +POS logo ball bags they want to trade for some lousy cheap knock offs, then call me........ but you better hurry, I too have started giving them away to umpires who wear the plastic bags......

Posted

There's a guy on eBay that's been selling the black +POS ball bags. None up right now, but keep checking. He's got lots. They're my favorite too.

Posted

I haven't tried the Dri-Lo bags but I do have the UA Ultimates. They are nice but are too small, and I have huge hands. It is difficult to get baseballs out of them sometimes. I ordered two of Honigs' large bags and I like them just as much if not more than the UA bags. If UA made the same bag and added about 1/2" on the length and about 1" on the width they would be perfect.

Posted

Two things about the Dri-Los: They are a little bigger, and they have more space between the tunnel loops to allow for easier access to the baseballs and accessories. They also have sturdy construction similar to the UA Ultimate, but without the zippered pocket in the back. (Their trademark is that the inside surface is made with that waterproof material.)

I recommend them simply because it's easier to get a ball out of one.

Posted

Two things about the Dri-Los: They are a little bigger, and they have more space between the tunnel loops to allow for easier access to the baseballs and accessories. They also have sturdy construction similar to the UA Ultimate, but without the zippered pocket in the back. (Their trademark is that the inside surface is made with that waterproof material.)

I recommend them simply because it's easier to get a ball out of one.

Ditto on the Dri-Los...I bought black Dri-Los and navy ultimates to compare this season...now I have added Navy Dri-Los to my collection as well. The ultimates will probably be given away. Too hard to get a ball out. I also had some stitching come out in the inside pockets, but Ump-Attire sent me some new ones.

So now I have 2 Black Dri-Los, 2 Navy Dri-Los, and 4 Navy Ultimates (some with some loose pockets).

The Dri-Lo's are the only ones that see the field.

Posted

Similar profile:

I had the pockets on both of my Ump-Attire Ultimates show signs of unraveling (the ONLY quality issue), so I reinforced them. The Dri-Los have two quality issues: loose threads (cosmetic) and fading after a few washings. I Scotch-Guarded mine before ever washing them, and the same fading that my mentor is experiencing is not apparent on mine.


×
×
  • Create New...