Ending an 11 inning game

Pops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4356 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What would you do? Let me set the stage…

HS Sophomore game, very well played, score tied in the bottom of the 11th, it’s hot, I’m tired, hungry, and sweaty, the sun’s going down, and I’m not looking forward to a 45 minute drive home.

Home team is batting and batter hits a HR. Everyone goes crazy…the players storm out of the dugout to meet the batter at the plate. I’m the PU and watch him touch all of the bases. When he is half way to the plate, he throws his helmet off and skips the rest of the way and the party begins at home. My partner and I get off the field (happy that it didn’t end on a close call).

Earlier in the game I noticed that some of the players were on the field during live play without helmets, so I mentioned it to the coach. FED rule 5-1-2-e and the dead ball table says the penalty is an ejection (it does not say player is out). Would you take any action in this situation or just “get outta Dodge?â€

The ball's dead on the home run - no violation.

Also, you say you "mentioned it to the coach". Did you warn him - and record that warning? In my mind, there's a difference between "mentioning" something and actually warning someone. And without a written record of that warning, you're going to be screwed. Obviously, calling an out on this play is grabbing the very dirty end of the stick and you would - justifiably - have an absolute firestorm on your hands. And if you don't havve a written record of that warning, you're not going to have a leg to stand on.

• Like 1

The FED really does not allow for emotion and excitement so we need to. Deadball since it is a HR but also who cares kid wont he game go home!

As has been stated previously, even if you did warn them before, it's a dead ball-no violation. The kid just hit a walk-off HR, let him enjoy the win while you enjoy your post-game beer.

24sdad, why? Rule please.

No rule violation. It is a local association directive, but even if it wasn't, as PU I would still instruct all bench personnel to stay back until everyone has touched the plate. And when I say back, I mean outside the circle, or at least leave some sort of area around the plate clear for me to do my job without having to look through/around/between 20 kids (jumping up and down/pushing and shoving) to allow me to ensure the plate was touched. After that, they can celebrate and mob the hitter all they want.

To me, its just a game management issue, and one I will continue to use until my responsibilities on the field have concluded.

YMMV

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Under NCAA, the batter's teammates are supposed to stay on the warning track in front of the dugout now, not just outside the circle. It is not always done that way, but that is how it is written.

Personally, I'd like to see more consistent enforcement of that rule. It's there for a reason, yet guys seem to not think it is important to enforce. Likely until its too late...where early, consistent enforcement of this rule could avoid an ejection/fight/bean ball later.

• Like 1