Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5261 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted
FED rules R1 at 3rd RHP comes set and then kicks leg towards third and leans slightly to 3rd but it is there then throws home. Balk or not. Thanks guys.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

FED rules R3 at 3rd RHP comes set and then kicks leg towards third and leans slightly to 3rd but it is there then throws home. Balk or not. Thanks guys.

Fixed it for you.

Posted

FED rules R3 at 3rd RHP comes set and then kicks leg towards third and leans slightly to 3rd but it is there then throws home. Balk or not. Thanks guys.

Fixed it for you.

Johnny,

He's actually just quoting the FED rule book (or casebook). FED actually assigns their runner designations based on what # runner they are and not on the starting base position, that the rest of the world uses.

Posted

FED rules R3 at 3rd RHP comes set and then kicks leg towards third and leans slightly to 3rd but it is there then throws home. Balk or not. Thanks guys.

Fixed it for you.

Johnny,

He's actually just quoting the FED rule book (or casebook). FED actually assigns their runner designations based on what # runner they are and not on the starting base position, that the rest of the world uses.

OF COURSE THEY DO!!!!!! :shakehead:

Posted

FED rules R1 at 3rd RHP comes set and then kicks leg towards third and leans slightly to 3rd but it is there then throws home. Balk or not. Thanks guys.

No one answered the question for you but if you think the pitcher committed to third then its a balk. You can just envision the same play happening with a lefthanded pitcher and R3 at first (thats a joke) and make the same ruling.

Posted

Thanks my partner called it and the coach came unclued said we can't call a balk if he throws the ball. I told him if he committed to third he must throw there. Just was not sure after the game ended.

Posted

Johnny,

He's actually just quoting the FED rule book (or casebook). FED actually assigns their runner designations based on what # runner they are and not on the starting base position, that the rest of the world uses.

I know, it's my own little annoyance w/ FED, I refuse to speak that language when discussing plays under the FED rule set. It's my own thing and I don't expect them to change it for me. :-)

Posted

What am I missing here? If he steps more toward third but throws home you would balk him? The other way around I would agree it is a balk, but why in this situation?

Posted

What am I missing here? If he steps more toward third but throws home you would balk him? The other way around I would agree it is a balk, but why in this situation?

Thank you, I am wondering the same thing.

Posted

What am I missing here? If he steps more toward third but throws home you would balk him? The other way around I would agree it is a balk, but why in this situation?

You have to step to whatever base you throw to so if he steps to third he has to throw to third or hold the ball he cant then pitch it and if you call it a thorw its a throw to an unoccupied base and their isnt a play going on.

Posted

What am I missing here? If he steps more toward third but throws home you would balk him? The other way around I would agree it is a balk, but why in this situation?

You have to step to whatever base you throw to so if he steps to third he has to throw to third or hold the ball he cant then pitch it and if you call it a thorw its a throw to an unoccupied base and their isnt a play going on.

I know you have to step to whatever base you throw to, but he wasn't throwing to third, he was pitching.

Just because you step more toward third doesn't mean you then have to throw there or hold on to the ball. Rule reference?

Posted

What am I missing here? If he steps more toward third but throws home you would balk him? The other way around I would agree it is a balk, but why in this situation?

You have to step to whatever base you throw to so if he steps to third he has to throw to third or hold the ball he cant then pitch it and if you call it a thorw its a throw to an unoccupied base and their isnt a play going on.

I know you have to step to whatever base you throw to, but he wasn't throwing to third, he was pitching.

Just because you step more toward third doesn't mean you then have to throw there or hold on to the ball. Rule reference?

Well, you can pitch or feint to a base or throw to a base or step off. You cant do more than one of them. And a step to a base is either a feitn to a base or part of a throw to a base..

THe windup position description also contains the phrase "may step forward" and that means toward the plate.

Posted

Well, you can pitch or feint to a base or throw to a base or step off. You cant do more than one of them. And a step to a base is either a feitn to a base or part of a throw to a base..

THe windup position description also contains the phrase "may step forward" and that means toward the plate.

What rule?

Posted

Per the OP there wasn't a step - just a leg movement and a lean.

Will someone fix this editor. All I did was stary typing in the "Reply to this topic" box and I got this miniscule font.

Posted

Will someone fix this editor. All I did was stary typing in the "Reply to this topic" box and I got this miniscule font.

Rich, if the cursor hangs over subscript icon (x2) it will do all your text subscript. Sometimes it's a pain to get out of it because you click on it and then it turns right back on, but that's why you're getting the miniscule font...

Posted

Well, you can pitch or feint to a base or throw to a base or step off. You cant do more than one of them. And a step to a base is either a feitn to a base or part of a throw to a base..

THe windup position description also contains the phrase "may step forward" and that means toward the plate.

What rule?

The phrase is in the college and HS books. And I note that the first play was in HS and case 6-1-3 Situation G indicates "if the nonpivot foot is lifted after the stop he must immediately pitch or step directly toward base and throw to that base"

Posted

Per the OP there wasn't a step - just a leg movement and a lean.

Will someone fix this editor. All I did was stary typing in the "Reply to this topic" box and I got this miniscule font.

You mean the thread changed from its original play a little bit? How can that be because it never happens. lol.

Posted

FED rules R1 at 3rd RHP comes set and then kicks leg towards third and leans slightly to 3rd but it is there then throws home. Balk or not. Thanks guys.

Assuming this is a borderline balk -

If F1 does this all the time, with or without a runner on 3B, I would be inclined to allow some leeway.

If this is a new move with a runner on 3B, I would probably interpret this feint as an illegal attempt to deceive R3.

Coach: "What is the balk for?"

Me: "Illegal feint to 3B."

Posted

Well, you can pitch or feint to a base or throw to a base or step off. You cant do more than one of them. And a step to a base is either a feitn to a base or part of a throw to a base..

THe windup position description also contains the phrase "may step forward" and that means toward the plate.

What rule?

The phrase is in the college and HS books. And I note that the first play was in HS and case 6-1-3 Situation G indicates "if the nonpivot foot is lifted after the stop he must immediately pitch or step directly toward base and throw to that base"

He is immediately pitching. He just isn't stepping where you think he should, which by itself isn't illegal.

Not a booger I'm picking.


×
×
  • Create New...