Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5268 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Was batter claiming he hit the ball, it bounced and came up and hit his bat a second time during his follow through?

Either way, I do not understand the crew conference. I understand getting the call correct, but if someone had something worthy of changing West's mind, would ya think he would have immediately killed the play?

Posted

"Foul ball, it hit the plate!" :smachhead:

I've heard it from a coach... Ball went off the plate and ended up a base hit...

Defense Manager: "But it hit the plate!"

Me: "Yes..."

The manager was stunned that I had admitted it hit the plate. I'm pretty sure he expected me to either deny it or ignore him. B)

As I put the ball back in play, I heard a parent ask him, "Didn't it hit the plate?" and he responded "Yeah that's what he said!" shocked.

Pretty entertaining.

Posted

I heard the "it hit the plate argument" last weekend. There were several parents right behind me that were very concerned I was completely ignoring this vital piece of information... :shakehead:

Posted

I love it in between innings after something like that happens ........... 3rd base coach comes over by you as he's heading for the bench .... "hey blue, question for you....didn't that last hit ball to the shortstop hit the plate first?"

me: yep ...

coach: But ....isn't that ....

me: foul? no ...

as we approach the plate I say ....see, the plate is in fair territory ...

coach: well I'll be ..............

:smachhead:

Posted

Jeff, if you had pointed out that part of the batter's boxes are in fair territory also you might've gotten his head to explode.

Posted

Jeff, if you had pointed out that part of the batter's boxes are in fair territory also you might've gotten his head to explode.

it just about did! :D

Posted

Would it even matter if the plate were in foul territory? The ball's fair/foul status isn't determined by where it first bounces.

Posted

Would it even matter if the plate were in foul territory? The ball's fair/foul status isn't determined by where it first bounces.

Very true but there are many coaches who believe that if a ball touches foul territory it is foul no matter where it is touched or comes to rest after that.

EDIT - WooHoo!! 500th post!

Posted

Would it even matter if the plate were in foul territory? The ball's fair/foul status isn't determined by where it first bounces.

I believe fair/foul is determined by where the fielder is standing when he touches the ball: any drag bunt is foul if you field it from the dugout side of the foul line! :smachhead:
Posted

Would it even matter if the plate were in foul territory? The ball's fair/foul status isn't determined by where it first bounces.

I believe fair/foul is determined by where the fielder is standing when he touches the ball: any drag bunt is foul if you field it from the dugout side of the foul line! :smachhead:

You're joking, right? I assume so based on the emoticon you put in there but it's hard to tell on the internet sometimes...

Posted

Would it even matter if the plate were in foul territory? The ball's fair/foul status isn't determined by where it first bounces.

I believe fair/foul is determined by where the fielder is standing when he touches the ball: any drag bunt is foul if you field it from the dugout side of the foul line! :smachhead:

You're joking, right? I assume so based on the emoticon you put in there but it's hard to tell on the internet sometimes...

you're correct! ;)

Posted

What if the ball bounces off home plate, hits the pitchers plate (untouched by a fielder), bounds back to home plate into the catcher's box and touches the catcher in the catcher's box. What do you got there, fellas ;)

Posted

What if the ball bounces off home plate, hits the pitchers plate (untouched by a fielder), bounds back to home plate into the catcher's box and touches the catcher in the catcher's box. What do you got there, fellas ;)

If it's in MLB, more than likely an entry on your website.

  • Like 1
Posted

What if the ball bounces off home plate, hits the pitchers plate (untouched by a fielder), bounds back to home plate into the catcher's box and touches the catcher in the catcher's box. What do you got there, fellas ;)

If it's in MLB, more than likely an entry on your website.

And probably an ejection one way or the other.

×
×
  • Create New...