Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5390 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

you take your shirt off??!

Sometimes, yes; usually when it's a double-header.

Posted

3680636548_c4b1eb0d9e.jpg

Here is a July 1, 2009 picture of Brett Houseman (HP) and Nick Lentz getting ready to work in Aberdeen of the NYP League. You can see how they look for hair length and facial hair. This would probably be the way one should look for the school, concerning the hair issue. Both worked this past year in the FSL

Other than finding this picture, I also checked at all 3 schools and there were plenty of pictures of the staff and the students. I think those pictures tell the story. Only JE who does not need a job and maybe someone with a 5 o'clock shadow were as rough as it gets.

And passing on a story from someone I met who went to the school years ago. Don't volunteer to go get the key to the bullpen.

Nick Lentz is the HP in this picture. He's an instructor at the camp I attend each Winter. He's a great guy and a great umpire!!

Posted

quick funny story that i just remembered - when i put my cup in, i try to do so behind my car or whatever. So this time i went in between my car and the one next to it and, w/out really thinking, turned towards the car next to me and would up with my hands in my pants six inches away from some poor mothers face who was sitting in the parked car! Thankfully she laughed.

Posted

Tip: When you need to change in the parking lot, find a secluded spot as usual, but park close (3-4 feet) to a big vehicle like a truck or any American-made, pre-1982 gas guzzling sedan. Then open BOTH doors of your vehicle to make a four-sided dressing partition/vanity wall. Drop your drawers and passers-by can only see your black socks.

I usually show up in slacks and a polo over my blacks (socks, compression bottoms, compression TOP). So when I do change, nothing more than all black is visible for more than 30 seconds.

Our association asks us to check in with the coach before the game, but the fields at half of my schools are a LONG way from the parking lot. So I just get there an extra 15 early (about an hour before game time).

I wish they gave us the Head Coach's cell phone numbers so I could just send a text when I arrived, but all they give us is the AD's #.

Posted

Dix your tip is exactly what I do most of the time.

Just make sure there is no one behind the dark tinted glass of the vehicle next to yours. I am speaking from experience!

(null)

Posted

Interesting thread. When I started umpiring high school last year, I remember either reading something or being told to arrive at games in business casual attire and going to introduce ourselves to the coaches before changing into our uniform. I asked our instructors about this and they said for the freshman and frosh/soph games that first year officials do, it was not necessary. Because of this, I would bring my uniform to work and change in the bathroom there before driving to the game site. I would then park in an inconspicuous location and put on my gear and walk to the field and introduce myself, and then start my pregame tasks (sign the voucher, check equipment, walk the field, etc.). Personally, I felt it was more professional to arrive clothed rather than be putting on pants, etc in public. If there was a locker room provided, I could definitely see changing on site. It just seems a bit undignified to be changing clothes in a parking lot. JMHO.

This season, I will be doing mostly JV games. We have a new "Virtual Crew Chief" program and this is something that I will discuss with my VCC. He is also a college umpire, so I it will be interesting to hear his thoughts about how to approach this at different levels.

Posted

I asked our instructors about this and they said for the freshman and frosh/soph games that first year officials do, it was not necessary.

It's not necessary at any high school level through my association, but I still do it -- no matter the level. To me, the lower-level coaches demand just as much respect as the higher-level ones. In fact, that Freshman coach might be the Varsity coach in a few years -- and he might remember that respect you gave him several years ago.

Posted

I asked our instructors about this and they said for the freshman and frosh/soph games that first year officials do, it was not necessary.

It's not necessary at any high school level through my association, but I still do it -- no matter the level. To me, the lower-level coaches demand just as much respect as the higher-level ones. In fact, that Freshman coach might be the Varsity coach in a few years -- and he might remember that respect you gave him several years ago.

How is it more respectful to greet a coach in "plain clothes" rather than in uniform? I ask because as I said, I believe there is an expectation at some levels to do this. Is it because we are meeting each other as "coach/person" rather than as "coach/umpire?" Does him seeing me as a regular person help prevent barriers from being raised?

If the school provides a facility to get changed in, I think it makes sense to arrive in my regular clothes (on weekdays, it would be in a suit, which I wear to work). If there is no facility, I would think the schools would rather us NOT be changing clothes in their parking lot. I know there have been "incidents" where certain officials have bared too much and complaints have been lodged.

Posted

How is it more respectful to greet a coach in "plain clothes" rather than in uniform?

I took your original post as your instructors saying to not greet the sub-varsity coaches before a game.

If that's not the case and you were simply asking about uniform/business attire, the business attire stems from a situation where a dressing room would be provided. It's possible that by walking to the field in non-uniform attire will get you a changing room, but I've never had it happen. It's more that you look more professional in business casual than in your uniform.

Posted

How is it more respectful to greet a coach in "plain clothes" rather than in uniform?

I took your original post as your instructors saying to not greet the sub-varsity coaches before a game.

If that's not the case and you were simply asking about uniform/business attire, the business attire stems from a situation where a dressing room would be provided. It's possible that by walking to the field in non-uniform attire will get you a changing room, but I've never had it happen. It's more that you look more professional in business casual than in your uniform.

Sorry for the confusion. I absolutely greet each head coach before the game - they are my first priority when I arrive on site. This is taught in the association. I also email the athletic director for each school about 3-4 days before the game to provide my contact information and which game I will be officiating. Most of them reply with a confirmation.

Posted

The main reason you wear plain clothes and do not show up in uniform......

see

<acronym title='Federation Rules (High School) aka <acronym title='High school rules, aka NFHS'>FED '>NFHS</acronym>'>NFHS'>FED</acronym> Rule-10 art. 2: Umpire jurisdiction begins upon the umpires arriving at the field ( within the confines of the field) and ends when the umpires leave the playing field at the conclusion of the game.

And....

NCAA Rule: 3 section 6k: Umpire jurisdiction in regards to personal confrontations and unsportsmanlike conduct directed towards them begans when the umpires enter the game site and ends when the umpires have left the game site.

Once you show up on site in uniform you are viewed as "umpire". It doesn't matter if your intention is to meet the coach, and head back to your car. When you are In plain clothes you are simply a person who has been assigned to work the game with no responsibility for what's going on at the field at that time. The umpire uniform identifies you as someone that has complete jurisdiction over that game. Let's say you walk up in uniform to greet the home team coach who is preparing for the game in his dugout. A fight between rival teams breaks out while you, in uniform, are standing there. Are you going to start ejecting players? Will you turn and walk back out the gate because you haven't begun your umpire duties yet? Either way it will be hard to explain why you, the "umpire" did nothing. No need to worry if this same scenario breaks out while in plain cloths because no one knows who you are.

Posted

HS most show up in decent clothes but change at the game site. I usually wear my pants and base shoes and dress the rest of the way when I get there. College wants you in sports coat and change at the site.

Agree with MST 100%.........but since I come from work almost 90% of the time to a HS game, I will be either dressed in business casual clothes or having attempted to change in the car, in my game pants.....

×
×
  • Create New...