Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5352 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have never had a problem with Ump Attire or Honigs. Honigs' cloth goods are great. I don't think some of their protective equipment (chest protectors) is as good as the other brands, but the polywools, shirts, jackets, etc. are great. Every time I have called either place I have been treated great. Both get orders to me in about three days.

I will still stay with Honigs polywools because of the price and because they are the standard.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Well, I opened up my Ump-Attire polywool base pants today and I also have a brand new pair of Honigs Poly Wool pants and at first glance they appear to be the exact same pants except for the added feature of the expandable waist. I will give a more detailed description when I have more time.

Posted

Not going to argue.... Price for price UA cost more. If u got 10% off at UA u can get 10 off at Honigs.

If these are indeed the same pants from Hardwick, I would guess that UA would not get the same price on the same pair of pants (forget the waist expander) because Im sure Honig's orders a substantially higher quantity.

Posted

That is true but Honigs did lower their price. I am guessing Jim will do the same. It is a lot easier to lower prices than to raise them. Looks at all the majestic stuff that UA sells. It's was a lot higher a year ago....

Posted

That is true but Honigs did lower their price. I am guessing Jim will do the same. It is a lot easier to lower prices than to raise them. Looks at all the majestic stuff that UA sells. It's was a lot higher a year ago....

Very true. I was the smart one to pay $45 for my black mlb jersey only to see it at $35 a couple of months later. Oh well.

Posted

Not going to argue.... Price for price UA cost more. If u got 10% off at UA u can get 10 off at Honigs.

If these are indeed the same pants from Hardwick, I would guess that UA would not get the same price on the same pair of pants (forget the waist expander) because Im sure Honig's orders a substantially higher quantity.

They are from Hardwicks.

Posted

That is true but Honigs did lower their price. I am guessing Jim will do the same. It is a lot easier to lower prices than to raise them. Looks at all the majestic stuff that UA sells. It's was a lot higher a year ago....

Very true. I was the smart one to pay $45 for my black mlb jersey only to see it at $35 a couple of months later. Oh well.

I remember when the Therma Base jackets came out and UA was selling them for $95 I think (or $90) and then a bunch of places started carrying them including a few who drop shipped directly from Majestic for about $70. Needless to say UA lowered their prices after that. I agree their Poly Wools will probably come down. They are going to have a hard time competing with Honig's PW at a higher price.

Posted

That is true but Honigs did lower their price. I am guessing Jim will do the same. It is a lot easier to lower prices than to raise them. Looks at all the majestic stuff that UA sells. It's was a lot higher a year ago....

Very true. I was the smart one to pay $45 for my black mlb jersey only to see it at $35 a couple of months later. Oh well.

I'm glad they were such a turn-off to me when they came out. I waited until just a short time ago and got three for $45.

I'm going to blacken those silly trim stripes and let you know what works best. I'm pretty sure a standard Rit liquid dye should do the trick. I might make a pair of them if it looks good, so I always have a matching shirt for a partner.

Posted

From the 2010 UMPY's...

Honig's Poly Wool Pants are sold exclusively by Honig's for $73.95 (base pants) and $79.95(plate pants), and are only offered in charcoal grey. They are, without a doubt, the best of the best, and Midwest Ump is pleased to award the Honig's Poly Wool Umpire Pants the titles of Umpire Pants of the Year and 2010 UMPY Product of the Year.

Posted

The sturdy waistband of the Honig's polywools is one of its plusses as far as I'm concerned. So if you prefer a pair with waist expanders, buy the UA offering, and if you like them the way they are, buy the Honig's offering. It's good to have that choice.

Posted

we all have our opinions, we're all different, we all wear different sizes and some things work better than others. The best part of this discussion board on equipment is that it give a wide open view of the market. I tend to listen to people when they find something they like, it may or may not work for me, but having a credible opinion certainly helps me to consider giving something new a try, I bought a pair of poly wools from OC, they fit great, wear great, they are darker in color but they have their place in my rotation, many guys don't like OC, but this worked for me.

Personally I want to hear all of the good and bad comments on gear, it just helps me make an informed decision, everyone here has had input into some of the gear I've bought lately, thank you all for your varied and passionate opinions.

  • Like 1
Posted

we all have our opinions, we're all different, we all wear different sizes and some things work better than others. The best part of this discussion board on equipment is that it give a wide open view of the market. I tend to listen to people when they find something they like, it may or may not work for me, but having a credible opinion certainly helps me to consider giving something new a try, I bought a pair of poly wools from OC, they fit great, wear great, they are darker in color but they have their place in my rotation, many guys don't like OC, but this worked for me.

Personally I want to hear all of the good and bad comments on gear, it just helps me make an informed decision, everyone here has had input into some of the gear I've bought lately, thank you all for your varied and passionate opinions.

With all of that said I plan on having the Reviews section back up this weekend.

Posted

Guys...lest you forget, until Barack changes things enough, we still live in a capitalist economy. Vote with your dollars! If UA's price is too high go to Honigs. If you want the expander and love Jim's fast and accurate ordering, buy them from UA. It's a very simple matter...vote with your dollars.

Carry on with the conversation....

Warren...it's great to get that tab started again :notworthy:

Posted

Guys...lest you forget, until Barack changes things enough, we still live in a capitalist economy. Vote with your dollars!

You must enjoy propaganda. Just so you know, you look foolish to most when you make a crack about the definitions of capitalism and socialism and their differences. Try to read more and listen to fewer AM radio hosts. That's a good start.

  • Like 1
Posted

Your right Kevin...we live in a semi-capitalist economy....it's been under assault for longer than Barack has been in office... :hopmad: And who listens to AM radio anymore?...I don't. I also don't recall putting a definition in my post either....

The point is...

If you want Honig's buy them...if you want UA buy them. Only when the market moves in one direction or the other will change occur to either. Jim will have to lower his price or Honig's will offer the expander waistband...pretty simple concept.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

After reading your posts, I realized I shouldn't have been so busy and responded sooner.

You guys are pretty smart. We made decisions based on several factors including competition's price at the time we placed our order, the additional cost of the expander waistband and not on what the competition's sale price might be at any given time. So we bought a quantity and set a price a price that we felt was fair for the 2012 season. We are actually selling these at a pace where we are expected to sell out of them for this season, so the guys that like the expanders in the poly-wools appear to really like them (which is why we added it).

So I hesitate to drop our price to match at least what appears to me is a temporary sale price, especially with our added feature.

I will certainly though take your price concerns on the pants into consideration for the future, and some of the others you mentioned (as we always do), as we continue to try to serve you guys as best we can. Feel free at anytime to make other suggestions here or on our Facebook fan page at www.facebook.com/umpattirecom.

Thanks to you for all of your postive comments.

Posted

I haven't looked at this link in a while. I don't know if anyone has reviewed the pants so here goes: I got to try a pair on at the NCAA Umpire Clinic in Chicago this past weekend. Jim's very capable assistants, Brandon and Krista, were there with samples of many of the newer products U-A sells. I had seen a pair of these pants when I stopped in to U-A HQ in Jim's office back in the fall and we had talked about me trying them at some umpire camps in September and October then reviewing these new pants but, alas, I went to Afghanistan and lost over four inches off my waist and the 36 waist sample pants Jim had on hand in early September wouldn't work for me. Such a problem! Brandon let me try the 34 inch waist base pants on that he brought to Chicago. They were also a bit large but at least I could tell the fit. I have four pairs of Honig's Poly-Wools. These are the EXACT SAME pants with the waist expander added. The waist expander is similar to the type in Gerry Davis pants, but only on the left side of the waist. I am going with 32 waist and see how it goes as the 34s still looked like I was a kid wearing his Dad's pants. Ha!

I think the extra waist give will be a very good thing for use in the colder months when I might wear two pairs of tights and an extra heavy undershirt or two to try and ward off the cold.

I think the pants are worth the money and they are giving all of us Chicago attendees a 15% discount so...... maybe we can stack the U-E premium members 10% discount and get a real deal! Eh, Jim?

My two cents.........

×
×
  • Create New...