Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5258 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

( I was both a catcher and RF hmmm :question1: )

Reality is a "B...." Especially when it takes that long to set in. :rollinglaugh:

And batting 9th, 10th, ... didn't mean I was extra special then either ??????????

Posted

I didn't always bat my weakest hitter last. I would try to find a kid that had an average bat with good speed. If he got on, I was in good shape with the top coming up. If you have a base clogger batting last and he walks it can really hurt the top of your lineup sometimes.

Posted

Here's some info on the 50/70 program in Little League. I think it will grow year by year:

http://www.littleleague.org/media/newsarchive/2011/Sep-Dec/LLOffers5070PilotProgram2012.htm

(null)

Posted

My local Little League where I am on the board and UIC just voted to adopt the D3K for the regular season.....

Time to plan my coaches/umpire trainings!!

Posted

My local Little League where I am on the board and UIC just voted to adopt the D3K in MAJORS ONLY for the regular season.....

Time to plan my coaches/umpire trainings!!

Seeing that it's only optional in the Majors, and not the minors, that seems like a good choice.

  • Like 1
Posted

My local Little League where I am on the board and UIC just voted to adopt the D3K in MAJORS ONLY for the regular season.....

Time to plan my coaches/umpire trainings!!

I's automatically IN unless you opt out. And it's only IN in majors anyhow. And it's IN in the tournamet - no ability to opt out.

So why did they vote?

Posted

My local Little League where I am on the board and UIC just voted to adopt the D3K in MAJORS ONLY for the regular season.....

Time to plan my coaches/umpire trainings!!

I's automatically IN unless you opt out. And it's only IN in majors anyhow. And it's IN in the tournamet - no ability to opt out.

So why did they vote?

I missed the meeting, was just informed of it by the President on an email. Maybe they they voted not to opt-out??

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Remember that along with a D3K, you have 7.13. There will be times where the two will happen at the same time.

MST knows this, but 7.13 Example No. 15 will apply in this case

Posted

Remember that along with a D3K, you have 7.13. There will be times where the two will happen at the same time.

MST knows this, but 7.13 Example No. 15 will apply in this case

There can be other times it's applicable but 15 was what I was after. In other words the D3K has created a new poof play possibility. That has already been run by LL and that is what they are saying do.

Posted

I've thought about this for a while, and I have to go to the side that opposes this change... If you want to make it something like districts and beyond it is in, and leagues have the option to opt IN in regular season games, or something of the sort, I'd be at least better with the change, but I'm really concerned that the # of protests will skyrocket as a result of this.

People on this board won't have to worry about this because we are educated (when it comes to umpiring at least :D), but the average dad who is volunteering isn't going to know what to do... As it is, I've seen these types call runners out for leading off, and I highly doubt they will have the necessary thought process to go... "Bases Loaded, 2 outs, 2 strikes. Watch out for a dropped third strike".... Or even, "There is a runner on 1st with 1 out, so there is no D3K". Especially in any pressure situation.

Batter swings and misses at a ball in the dirt, ump calls "Strike 3! Batter's Out!"... Kid either stares confused at the ump or walks to the dugout... Coach flips out, protests.

It's the kind of possibility that can cause big problems.

Posted

I've thought about this for a while, and I have to go to the side that opposes this change... If you want to make it something like districts and beyond it is in, and leagues have the option to opt IN in regular season games, or something of the sort, I'd be at least better with the change, but I'm really concerned that the # of protests will skyrocket as a result of this.

People on this board won't have to worry about this because we are educated (when it comes to umpiring at least :D), but the average dad who is volunteering isn't going to know what to do... As it is, I've seen these types call runners out for leading off, and I highly doubt they will have the necessary thought process to go... "Bases Loaded, 2 outs, 2 strikes. Watch out for a dropped third strike".... Or even, "There is a runner on 1st with 1 out, so there is no D3K". Especially in any pressure situation.

Batter swings and misses at a ball in the dirt, ump calls "Strike 3! Batter's Out!"... Kid either stares confused at the ump or walks to the dugout... Coach flips out, protests.

It's the kind of possibility that can cause big problems.

I see where you are coming from but I look at it a bit differently. I'm the UIC at my local LL and I encourage protests. I know that is not the norm but in my mind the outcome will be someone learning something. If an uneducated coach files a protest with a dad/umpire then hopefully there will be a protest committee with a UIC and a book to sort it out... resulting in all parties having a better understanding of the rule. At the same time, if the coach doesn't understand the rules he/she probably doesn't know when/how to file a protest and then it's not an issue. YMMV, 1

Posted

I've thought about this for a while, and I have to go to the side that opposes this change... If you want to make it something like districts and beyond it is in, and leagues have the option to opt IN in regular season games, or something of the sort, I'd be at least better with the change, but I'm really concerned that the # of protests will skyrocket as a result of this.

People on this board won't have to worry about this because we are educated (when it comes to umpiring at least :D), but the average dad who is volunteering isn't going to know what to do... As it is, I've seen these types call runners out for leading off, and I highly doubt they will have the necessary thought process to go... "Bases Loaded, 2 outs, 2 strikes. Watch out for a dropped third strike".... Or even, "There is a runner on 1st with 1 out, so there is no D3K". Especially in any pressure situation.

Batter swings and misses at a ball in the dirt, ump calls "Strike 3! Batter's Out!"... Kid either stares confused at the ump or walks to the dugout... Coach flips out, protests.

It's the kind of possibility that can cause big problems.

I see where you are coming from but I look at it a bit differently. I'm the UIC at my local LL and I encourage protests. I know that is not the norm but in my mind the outcome will be someone learning something. If an uneducated coach files a protest with a dad/umpire then hopefully there will be a protest committee with a UIC and a book to sort it out... resulting in all parties having a better understanding of the rule. At the same time, if the coach doesn't understand the rules he/she probably doesn't know when/how to file a protest and then it's not an issue. YMMV, 1

For smarter umpire associations and leagues (like I'm sure the one you are UIC for is), this works well because it is the coaches learning. The umpires already know what is going on, and you can be confident they made the right call. My concern doesn't lie in this, it lies in the smaller, less educated umpires... Say my example happens, and a coach protests, and the coach wins... Now, we may have to restart from that point in the game, and that umps reputation (with at least the two teams involved) has completely changed for a long time... They will watch him like a hawk.

If all LL umpires in the world could be preinformed, we'd be beauitiful with this rule (and any rule at that)... Unfortunately, it isn't feasible for every league to have its umpires in the 95th percentile, and the rules must achknowledge for that... This particular rule does not.

Posted

As a local UIC, I taught the managers how to protest, so they knew what to do beforehand. I also encouraged it. Too many managers think a protest is just an escalation in volume, instead of an actual process in which he can get an advantage.

I think of a protest as a manager trying to do what's best for his team, in a thoughtful manner. As a local UIC, part of my job was to help our managers get smarter, gain an edge, and put them in a better position to beat our cross town rivals. And, make them ready for post season play. Unlike other leagues or associations, we work with the managers, not against them. It make for a much more enjoyable experience for all.

Now, I'm not telling them when to protest during a game, or giving one side or the other any sort of advantage. But I will take them aside after a game, and let them know what they should have done. And they appriciate it. It's very unlike most situations, where umpires head for the parking lot, and beat it after games.

Posted

Say my example happens, and a coach protests, and the coach wins... Now, we may have to restart from that point in the game, and that umps reputation (with at least the two teams involved) has completely changed for a long time... They will watch him like a hawk.

Like Kyle I encourage protests. Few take me up on it but I offer. If the umpire is wrong and the manager protests, then the umpire learns something. There are three possible outcomes for a protest, the manager is correct, the umpire is correct or both are wrong.

No matter, somebody is going to learn something. The managers can watch all they want, they may even catch another mistake, that's fine. It will teach the guy that he needs more training. If they start riding him, then he can work on his toss mechanic.

Posted

But I will take them aside after a game, and let them know what they should have done. And they appriciate it. It's very unlike most situations, where umpires head for the parking lot, and beat it after games.

Maybe you should become a coach. If not, get off the field after the game is over. You should not be standing around waiting for a pat on the back for explaining to the coach what he should have done during the game. The way I see it is if you want to umpire then umpire, if you want to coach then sell/donate your umpire equipment and become a coach. It sounds like you could win the championship every year. :no:

Posted

But I will take them aside after a game, and let them know what they should have done. And they appriciate it. It's very unlike most situations, where umpires head for the parking lot, and beat it after games.

Maybe you should become a coach. If not, get off the field after the game is over. You should not be standing around waiting for a pat on the back for explaining to the coach what he should have done during the game. The way I see it is if you want to umpire then umpire, if you want to coach then sell/donate your umpire equipment and become a coach. It sounds like you could win the championship every year. :no:

Trust me, Loyd, I'm not waiting for any post game slaps on the back, But neither am I heading for the hills after the game. No need, in my park. (I do get off the field after the last out, just to put protests to bed).

Luckily, we've developed a culture at our local league where it's not an "us vs. them" situation, with managers/coaches and umpires. Usually after a game, and after I've changed, I'm raking the fields with the coaches, or helping close up the facility. I mean in the end, it's just little kids playing baseball, Nobody around here gets that worked up about it.

And yeah, I've coached and umpired for many years, so I pretty familar with both ends of the lineup card. And I do know where the line is drawn between the two when perform both jobs. I'm not one of those knucklehead coaches that blurt out "I'm an umpire.....!", nor do I offer any coaching advise during a game. And I fully understand that my park is probably unique in the fact that we, as umpires, don't feel the need to "escape" from the field after a game. No one hounds us after a game, and there's hardly any contention.

Plus, I run a pretty big Junior umpire program. I don't want my kids to feel like they're second class citizens, and have to run and hide after a game. They should feel comfortable enough to hang around the park after their game, and not feel imtimidated by coaches or parents. Luckily, and this is after a dozen plus years of working on this, we've gotten to that point. Everybody is pulling the rope in the same direction.

Now, is it perfect? Heck no. Do we have disagreements? Idiot parents? Bad calls? Absolutely. But we have ways of dealing with them, and it's rarely an issue. I'm not saying to try what we do anywhere else, and I certainly wouldn't do it at any of our cross town leagues, where they have zero respect for umpires. But it works for us.

  • Like 1
Posted

In the LL parks I work in I don't feel the need to escape at the end of the game, usually, :) but I do it anyway. However, I spend a lot of time there when I'm not working so I do a lot of coach teaching.

Posted

But I will take them aside after a game, and let them know what they should have done. And they appriciate it. It's very unlike most situations, where umpires head for the parking lot, and beat it after games.

Maybe you should become a coach. If not, get off the field after the game is over. You should not be standing around waiting for a pat on the back for explaining to the coach what he should have done during the game. The way I see it is if you want to umpire then umpire, if you want to coach then sell/donate your umpire equipment and become a coach. It sounds like you could win the championship every year. :no:

Trust me, Loyd, I'm not waiting for any post game slaps on the back, But neither am I heading for the hills after the game. No need, in my park. (I do get off the field after the last out, just to put protests to bed).

Luckily, we've developed a culture at our local league where it's not an "us vs. them" situation, with managers/coaches and umpires. Usually after a game, and after I've changed, I'm raking the fields with the coaches, or helping close up the facility. I mean in the end, it's just little kids playing baseball, Nobody around here gets that worked up about it.

And yeah, I've coached and umpired for many years, so I pretty familar with both ends of the lineup card. And I do know where the line is drawn between the two when perform both jobs. I'm not one of those knucklehead coaches that blurt out "I'm an umpire.....!", nor do I offer any coaching advise during a game. And I fully understand that my park is probably unique in the fact that we, as umpires, don't feel the need to "escape" from the field after a game. No one hounds us after a game, and there's hardly any contention.

Plus, I run a pretty big Junior umpire program. I don't want my kids to feel like they're second class citizens, and have to run and hide after a game. They should feel comfortable enough to hang around the park after their game, and not feel imtimidated by coaches or parents. Luckily, and this is after a dozen plus years of working on this, we've gotten to that point. Everybody is pulling the rope in the same direction.

Now, is it perfect? Heck no. Do we have disagreements? Idiot parents? Bad calls? Absolutely. But we have ways of dealing with them, and it's rarely an issue. I'm not saying to try what we do anywhere else, and I certainly wouldn't do it at any of our cross town leagues, where they have zero respect for umpires. But it works for us.

Kyle,

Let me apologize. I was in a bad mood this morning and hadn't had my coffee yet. My post was uncalled for.

Loyd

  • Like 1
Posted

Kyle,

Let me apologize. I was in a bad mood this morning and hadn't had my coffee yet. My post was uncalled for.

Loyd

No worries, and no offense taken. In fact, getting off the field is good advice in nearly every situation.

×
×
  • Create New...