Wilson Customer Service - Great Experience

NevadaBlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4393 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just wanted to let everybody know about my experience with Wilson Customer Service.

I owned a Wilson Shock FX Umpire Helmet that was gifted to me last year. It was very comfortable and offered great vision. I called over 100 games in it last year.

First game out this year, first inning behind the plate, I take a foul tip just over the mask on the bolt that holds the cage on the helmet.

After the inning, I take a look and a 4" crack is evident on the helmet.

Long story shortened . . . I call Wilson Customer Service and speak to Scott. He has me email pic of the crack.

I call him day after the pic are sent and he tells me that a new helmet is being packed up and sent that day.

Four business days later, I receive Version 2 (new) of the Umpire's Helmet.

Even better fit and vision!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Edited by NevadaBlue

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a firm believer in alternate universes. Perhaps another universe could be governed by different baseball rules and terminology.

Every foul tip I've ever seen has ended up in a glove... but you never know whats out there

:smachhead:

I don't mean to be a jerk NevadaBlue, but it's a pet peeve of mine. My apologies if you took that the wrong way.

How do you like your new Shock? I finally convinced my paps to get one like me. How do you like it compared to the old one?

Edited by kcfan102

I had a similar experience with Wilson. At the end of the season last year a piece of padding came out of my Shock F/X. I called Wilson to see what they recommended to reapply the padding and they told me to send mine in for free repairs. A week later I received a new Shock F/X 2.0 in the mail no questions asked.

My only issue is that the throat guard that I bought for the my Shock F/X 1.0 does not fit the 2.0 as well. The extended length of the throat area on the 2.0 makes the custom straps that came with the shock specific throat guard not fit the 2.0 as well. It almost hangs up on the bottom of the helmet.

I had a great experience as well. I took a shot to the titanium cage of my FX, and it bent it. Wilson offered to send a new cage that I could replace myself, or a whole new helmet. They wanted mine back before they would send the new helmet, and since I was still in midseason, I opted to just replace the cage. Got it 3 days later.

I'm a firm believer in alternate universes. Perhaps another universe could be governed by different baseball rules and terminology.

Every foul tip I've ever seen has ended up in a glove... but you never know whats out there

:bang:

I don't mean to be a jerk NevadaBlue, but it's a pet peeve of mine. My apologies if you took that the wrong way.

How do you like your new Shock? I finally convinced my paps to get one like me. How do you like it compared to the old one?

No worries, you are right.

Just for the record, I did throw up my hands and call "foul ball" when it hit me.

So my brain fart occurred on the forum, not on the field.

Just wanted to let everybody know about my experience with Wilson Customer Service.

I owned a Wilson Shock FX Umpire Helmet that was gifted to me last year. It was very comfortable and offered great vision. I called over 100 games in it last year.

First game out this year, first inning behind the plate, I take a foul tip just over the mask on the bolt that holds the cage on the helmet.

After the inning, I take a look and a 4" crack is evident on the helmet.

Long story shortened . . . I call Wilson Customer Service and speak to Scott. He has me email pic of the crack.

I call him day after the pic are sent and he tells me that a new helmet is being packed up and sent that day.

Four business days later, I receive Version 2 (new) of the Umpire's Helmet.

Even better fit and vision!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Did you call this number?

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Wilson Sporting Goods Co.

8750 W. Bryn Mawr Ave

Chicago, Illinois 60631

USA

Tel. +1 773 714 6400

No worries, you are right.

Just for the record, I did throw up my hands and call "foul ball" when it hit me.

So my brain fart occurred on the forum, not on the field.

Better here then there. A rule of thumb that I use to help my guys keep it straight is one my DUC said one day. "No umpire has ever been hit by a foul tip."

Just a little nugget for you:

At some point as you work your way up the ladder, an evaluator will mention that you should stop calling obvious foul balls.

For example, don't call one that is fouled back over the backstop out at the top of your lungs. Work with a guy who does that and you'll see just how stupid it is.

If it's obvious, forget about it and get a new ball back in.

If it's not, call as needed.

+1

My BU partner yesterday was calling foul balls going out of play on the 1B side of the field. Annoyed me to no end. At the end of the game, he said, "You have great mechanics, but you need to yell your 'foul ball' calls louder." The only ones I called were rollers down the line -- and I know I yelled all three loudly, as I heard the echo from the houses a few hundred feet past center field.

just curious guys, if your on the bases and you see your partner "looking" for a foul ball, do you help him out? i sometimes just sort of give an "that's out of play", in just a normal voice, to let him know. any thoughts?

steve

I took one in the mug wearing my Titanium standard profile and got a nice dent on the frame. Called wilson cs and talked to Scott. He asked me to e-mail some photos and the receipt... 5 days later got a new mask complete with pads. They did even not ask me to return the dented one. The only downside is that the replacement is the low profile model.

I took one in the mug wearing my Titanium standard profile and got a nice dent on the frame. Called wilson cs and talked to Scott. He asked me to e-mail some photos and the receipt... 5 days later got a new mask complete with pads. They did even not ask me to return the dented one. The only downside is that the replacement is the low profile model.

I'm hearing story after story similar to this, and I'm wondering if the manufacturers are trying to cover up a flaw. Replacing damaged masks of customers that complain is cheaper than recalling all of them.

I'm hearing story after story similar to this, and I'm wondering if the manufacturers are trying to cover up a flaw. Replacing damaged masks of customers that complain is cheaper than recalling all of them.

I've been wondering the same thing... Titanium masks shouldn't bend (at all) and helmets shouldn't crack so easily. Giving out a new helmet to cure someones bad experience... will at the same time make someone regain trust in the brand because your getting a new one for free. When the new mask bends, breaks, shatters... are you going to give Scott another call?

-pip

Welcome Pip!

I don't thing it is a conspiracy. Titanium is a malleable metal and can be dented/bent. These suppliers are trying to give the customers what they want great lightweight protection. There are a lot of things they could do to increase protection, but we don't want to be wearing lineman style face mask. Same goes with the helmets. The fact is by denting/breaking they are protecting us.

I've been wondering the same thing... Titanium masks shouldn't bend (at all) and helmets shouldn't crack so easily. Giving out a new helmet to cure someones bad experience... will at the same time make someone regain trust in the brand because your getting a new one for free. When the new mask bends, breaks, shatters... are you going to give Scott another call?

-pip

Wilson replaced my titanium cage, no questions asked (it was still under it's 1 year warranty).

attachment.php?attachmentid=32&d=1251166

attachment.php?attachmentid=33&d=1251166

The fact is by denting/breaking they are protecting us.

Just like mine that has "protected" me dozens of times without a scratch?

I won't go so far as to say it's a conspiracy? However, it's widely known that companies (especially car companies) will weigh the benefits and downsides to replacing as needed or making a recall.

If you've seen Fight Club, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the welcome, Warren!

For me, if I am going to shell out $230 for a Titanium mask… it better last. I’m not a fan of having a $230 disposable mask. These should be built to last. Bicycle helmets are designed to crack upon a serious impact to lessen the force… umpire helmets shouldn’t. If this is going on my head I want it to work.

With all of these accounts of masks cracking and cages bending on this helmet, it makes me not want to get one. Truthfully, this mask scares me.

When the mask came out, a handful of MLB catchers and umpires chose to wear this mask. How many are wearing it now? I’ve been browsing these forums for a while now and have seen more posts about this helmet breaking than I can count. How often do you hear of All-Star TI cages bending or shells cracking? What about diamond?

Not trying to be lame here… I’m just commenting on things I’m seeing… As always, you need to use what works for you. Pick your poison.

For me, if I am going to shell out $230 for a Titanium mask… it better last. I’m not a fan of having a $230 disposable mask. These should be built to last. Bicycle helmets are designed to crack upon a serious impact to lessen the force… umpire helmets shouldn’t. If this is going on my head I want it to work.

With all of these accounts of masks cracking and cages bending on this helmet, it makes me not want to get one. Truthfully, this mask scares me.

When the mask came out, a handful of MLB catchers and umpires chose to wear this mask. How many are wearing it now? I’ve been browsing these forums for a while now and have seen more posts about this helmet breaking than I can count. How often do you hear of All-Star TI cages bending or shells cracking? What about diamond?

Not trying to be lame here… I’m just commenting on things I’m seeing… As always, you need to use what works for you. Pick your poison.

Titanium was the choice of metals not for its strength, but for it's lighter weight.

I've made a comparison in weight of the steel cage on a Wilson Shock (HSM) and the titanium. The difference was about 0.6 ounces. Not a whole lot, in my opinion.

If you want a durable mask at a better price, try out the Wilson A3009WV. It's a Cro-Moly frame, with very good wraparound pads. About $65-$70. I use it when I'm not wearing the Shock.

This 3019WV is a good mask as well - essentially the same mask as the 3009WV, but it has the "poly-satin" covering on the pads....($48 at ump-attire, a very good value, IMO).

However, I'm not a big fan of that poly-satin material, because if you have the slightest bit of 5 o'clock shadow or just a few whiskers on your chin, it's going to tear that material to pieces in fairly short order.

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=A3019WV&Category_Code=LEATHER-MASK&Product_Count=2

The 3009WV has Amara suede pads (all black), which have served me very well over the years.

Edited by BrianC14

Your concerns are well justified. I agree. Paying a good amount of money for a product that has stories about cracking and bending would worry me.

But.. keep in mind, that all of the guys who wore the Shock FX (there are three that I know of) are wearing the old model. The new model of the Shock has upgraded a lot of the weak spots that umpires complained about. From what I am hearing, a 95 mph will bend whatever material it hits if it hits it right. I have the steel version of the Shock FX 2.0, my dad has the titanium version, and it isn't work the extra $100 in my opinion.

I had the Diamond Edge for three years. To this day, it's the most comfortable mask/helmet I've ever worn. But the visibility of the Shock is better.

I think Wilson worked out the kinks with this new Shock FX 2.0 over the older one.

Good point about the Titanium masks. A number of MLB guys did wear them and switched back to the Dyna-Lite or other masks. Hell, Joe West himself doesnt wear the Titanium mask. And although Davis called the Chrome Moliben mask the "Davis New View," he wears a feather-weight frame with Wilson pads.

I agree its frustrating when a mask bends/dents, but I also agree with the logic stating that the mask bends to protect you and its doing its job. I would gather that most would rather pay $60 for a frame that can be bent than pay 4x, 5x, 6x, ect. times that for an "indestructible" mask. I can say Ive worn the Dyna-Lites for a couple of years and both dented quite quickly after purchasing them. I wore an All-Star double bar frame for about 2 years and it still looks brand new. Coincidence? Maybe.