PU and BU's Wearing DIfferent Colors?

MUAump2
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4625 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Is this common? Watching the Chinese Taipei/Aruba game, and the PU is wearing a navy blue shirt while the rest of the crew is wearing powder blue. Is this a common practice in LL? I think it looks dumb; they should all wear the same color.

It is nothing that well thought out. It is LL ordering the uniforms with no UIC and they have no clue. If they did they wouldn't have black shirts and blue hats like they did at one WS, or lt blue shirts with red,white and blue piping. Most anything done for or about unpires is done by people with no clkue or appreciation for what it means to umpire.

First, they've been doing this in MLB for at least several seasons that I've seen; so now it's trickling down to lower levels. Doesn't bother me, but (as another posted has already pointed out) I wouldn't do it in a 2-man crew!

Anyone stop to think that TV is dictating what's being worn on the field?

I didn't think so.

Dark blue provides a better background to track balls.

Light blue makes the big umpires look smaller in the field.

Feel smarter now?

No - not true. Light colors make one look bigger, not smaller. (Been in theatre all my life - trust me, it's true)

It was set up that way by LL but the laundery screwed it up. The crews have the option to wear one color if they wish.

That's fine Michael, but they did it all last year too .........

LL set it up for dk on the plate and LtBlue on the bases. The Lt Blue shirts got screwed up the other day which is why they went all dk blue for a day or two. Today they were all Lt blue. Crew choice

First, they've been doing this in MLB for at least several seasons that I've seen; so now it's trickling down to lower levels. Doesn't bother me, but (as another posted has already pointed out) I wouldn't do it in a 2-man crew!

Why not ??

Plate ump can't have a polo-blue on with your partner in a black jacket? Seen it all the time...

Why not ??

Plate ump can't have a polo-blue on with your partner in a black jacket? Seen it all the time...

Yeah - One in a jacket & the other in a jersey, sure - we're talking a different looks to start with and the black jacket 'goes' with the polo blue shirt. But, I would prefer - if my partner & I are both wearing the same 'outer-wear', be it jersey or jacket - that they match. I'm not a uniform-nazi (like some in my area are) but a PU in polo blue and a BU in navy blue in a 2-man game would just look (& feel!) wrong to me. JMHO

Why not ??

Yeah - One in a jacket & the other in a jersey, sure - we're talking a different looks to start with and the black jacket 'goes' with the polo blue shirt. But, I would prefer - if my partner & I are both wearing the same 'outer-wear', be it jersey or jacket - that they match. I'm not a uniform-nazi (like some in my area are) but a PU in polo blue and a BU in navy blue in a 2-man game would just look (& feel!) wrong to me. JMHO

Very true ...agreed!

It is acceptable for PU to be in one color while the rest of the crew matches.

I was first advised of this by a D1 and Minor League umpire.

+1

As long as the BUs are in synch (3-man, 4-man, and 6-man crews only), the PU can wear whatever he (or she...) wants.

It's been done in MLB.

Why do so many people think it's such a big deal?

Because if your crew is colour co-ordinationally challenged, it looks like horseSH*#.

How you look only lasts until the first pitch - then it's all on how you "umpire".

well said rich... i couldnt agree with u more.....so much emphasis on looking so good and having great mechanics but forgetting the most important thing in umpiring is calling a strike correctily a ball accordingly and safes and out correctly...so much emphasis on calling nice strikes in the so called right way and no emphasis or little at the most important thing... calling a good game on plate or bases....once again well said rich ....i like that how u look lasts until first pitch lol