Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6047 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

If you get that distracted, I'm thinking that you should stick your indicator in your pocket. It helps you focus and demands your attention.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

If you get that distracted, I'm thinking that you should stick your indicator in your pocket. It helps you focus and demands your attention.

never , ever will my indicator go on the field with me ( unless I'm the PU)..

Posted

So I got used to carrying my indicator in the field during LL games. Did my first high school game had my indicator with me. After the game Asa Howard told me to leave the indicator in my car.... So needless to say the indicator stays in the car when I am the base umpire.

Posted

Another long debated subject. Do what your assoc tells you to do. If they want you to carry it, then carry it. If your assoc says no, then don't. If they don't care, then do what you feel comfortable with. Some guys get really psychotic about the subject. In my group, I tell them do what works for them. I have 35 yrs experience and I carry one. I have guys in my group that don't use them on the plate. I don't care what they do. I will never ding them no matter which the decide.

Posted

At the risk of sounding like a newbie, what's the bad part of carrying it on the field? I like to carry mine, because it always seems like once or twice a week I'll have a passed ball, play at the plate, and then can't remember if I clicked the wheel or not...I like having the count on the bases in case my partner needs to double check

Posted

At the risk of sounding like a newbie, what's the bad part of carrying it on the field? I like to carry mine, because it always seems like once or twice a week I'll have a passed ball, play at the plate, and then can't remember if I clicked the wheel or not...I like having the count on the bases in case my partner needs to double check

I have always carried mine on the field. Done it for years and years. just habit.

It has come in handy when the Plate Ump asks me what the count is.

Posted

I carried an indicator for 19 years as BU. Last season started not carrying one. Works fine ! Even when PU asks for count if missed. Solution - keep the count in your head !!!

Posted

At the risk of sounding like a newbie, what's the bad part of carrying it on the field? I like to carry mine, because it always seems like once or twice a week I'll have a passed ball, play at the plate, and then can't remember if I clicked the wheel or not...I like having the count on the bases in case my partner needs to double check

I personally don't see a problem, carry one myself. Others prefer not to carry one and that wporks for them, that's great. A third group believe it is close to heirecy to carry one. I say do what works. If I'm working in a pro field or a college field then I can work without it. However, too many of our fields either doesn't have a scoreboard or worse, an inaccurate one. On these fields I prefer a backup on the count.

This problem lead to a coach asking I get banned from a certain league. I lost the count, asked my partner, he didn't have it. I go out to piece it together, the manager came out to add his book's info. As we discussed it the pitcher said I needed to learned to keep track of the pitches. I didn't need that from a thirteen yr old and I don't him he needed to shut up and pitch. Perhaps a little blunt but it was he needed to do. We finished the game with no further incidents. After the game I was changing out and the UIC came up and asked if I had indeed told the kid to shut up. Then he wanted to know if I would appoligize for saying it. I told him no because the kid needed to shut up and pitch. The dad had complained and wanted me removed from the umpire roster. The more I thought about it I decided I would talk to the dad and explain that I was wrong in my choice of language but not for the intent. He allowed as his son was out of line and he had no problem with my action. It was only that in their house shut up is absolutely taboo and considered a bad word. He is now a good friend amd whenever I see him I tell him to shut up.


×
×
  • Create New...