Umpire in Chief

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5054 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Nr,

I recommend hooking in with one of the local HS associations or such and acting as an evaluator and trainer. That way you are still in and around the game (just not on the field) and you can impart your knowledge and wisdom on other umpires that can use it.

Great idea...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nr,

I recommend hooking in with one of the local HS associations or such and acting as an evaluator and trainer. That way you are still in and around the game (just not on the field) and you can impart your knowledge and wisdom on other umpires that can use it.

I am considering doing just that, BT, providing I can work it into my unfortunately ever-expanding schedule. They say as we get older life slows down? Don't you believe it! It just takes longer to do everything, providing you can remember it at all, so I think life is more hectic. As for hanging 'em up, I actually considered moving up to the Carolinas first because while my knees are a problem, I am firmly convinced it was this Central Florida heat that drove me out of the game. I went from 6-7 games a week to needing 2 days to recover from a single afternoon game! The humidity and long summers just suck the life out of you when you are exerting yourself outside, and I don't know any way to go on the field but full-out.

But I will consider your suggestion seriously. I know I would enjoy being intimately involved again, and maybe all those years of balls and strikes, outs and safes can be put to some use.

And might I add this is proving to be a wonderful site full of interesting people and interesting reading. Be it 8-10 year-olds who can't catch a cold or hit the ground with their cap, high schoolers and AAU'ers whom you would love to buy for what they are worth and sell for what they think they are worth, collegians who are on the verge of either ending a baseball career or starting one at the professional level, and the coaches and managers of all kinds, there are no better people on earth than baseball people. I hate soccer and lacrosse, I tolerate basketball, I like football, I love hockey....but I LIVE BASEBALL!

I am considering doing just that, BT, providing I can work it into my unfortunately ever-expanding schedule. They say as we get older life slows down? Don't you believe it! It just takes longer to do everything, providing you can remember it at all, so I think life is more hectic. As for hanging 'em up, I actually considered moving up to the Carolinas first because while my knees are a problem, I am firmly convinced it was this Central Florida heat that drove me out of the game. I went from 6-7 games a week to needing 2 days to recover from a single afternoon game! The humidity and long summers just suck the life out of you when you are exerting yourself outside, and I don't know any way to go on the field but full-out.

But I will consider your suggestion seriously. I know I would enjoy being intimately involved again, and maybe all those years of balls and strikes, outs and safes can be put to some use.

And might I add this is proving to be a wonderful site full of interesting people and interesting reading. Be it 8-10 year-olds who can't catch a cold or hit the ground with their cap, high schoolers and AAU'ers whom you would love to buy for what they are worth and sell for what they think they are worth, collegians who are on the verge of either ending a baseball career or starting one at the professional level, and the coaches and managers of all kinds, there are no better people on earth than baseball people. I hate soccer and lacrosse, I tolerate basketball, I like football, I love hockey....but I LIVE BASEBALL!

Exactly why I am starting my son off early...

af76bbfb-cb96-11dd-b5ee-001517649aa.jpg

When I lived in Columbia (just outside of Baltimore) I remember going to a O's v. Boston game and I'd bet there were more Boston fans there than Orioles. Same happened when the Yankees were in town.

Camden Yards is a beautiful park and there truly is no bad seat. I sat for a NYY game once at the top row of the second level on the 3rd base side and thought it was excellent. Tickets are (or at least were, I haven't made it up there in a few years) reasonable. Great food atmosphere the only thing wrong with the Orioles is their owner :wave:

When I lived in Columbia (just outside of Baltimore) I remember going to a O's v. Boston game and I'd bet there were more Boston fans there than Orioles. Same happened when the Yankees were in town.

Camden Yards is a beautiful park and there truly is no bad seat. I sat for a NYY game once at the top row of the second level on the 3rd base side and thought it was excellent. Tickets are (or at least were, I haven't made it up there in a few years) reasonable. Great food atmosphere the only thing wrong with the Orioles is their owner :wave:

This is true.

It is actually cheaper for us to drive to Baltimore..buy tickets to the Redsox game...stay in a hotel and eat..rather than buy tickets for a game at Fenway....LOL

Hi all

New to forum,I live in Bremerton, WA, been umpiring about 10 years, started in Little League with my Grandson, joined association about 6 years ago, Work HS varsity to Pee Wees, last July I work the Big League Baseball Western Regional in Silverdale, WA. This year I have been invited to Montana, to work the Senior Softball Western Regional, looking forward to that. I didn't start umpiring till my mid 40's started a little late, my goal is to be a D-1 umpire in my association, I just made Journeymen, one more step to go. I'm the type who thinks I can learn every time on the field, I have never left a game in witch I didn't ask partner if he seen anything, even lower level umpires, because it gives me a chance to explain why I did it, I'm looking forward to reading post and learning from them

Hi all,

My name is Brian. I currently live in Hagerstown, MD with my wife and three children. Our 9-yr-old son, and our three-yr-old girl twins, talk about a handful. We moved to Maryland due to the nature of my full-time profession in defense contracting.

I grew up in Michigan, where I also attended the University of Michigan, we will be back, Rodriguez will have us playing better within two years. I played baseball there as well, and throughout my childhood years. After college, there was not much promise for going any further.

Now, at the age of 37, I am anxious to get back on the field in my first year umpiring. I am with the MAC, Mid-Atlantic Collegiate umpiring association. What I have learned through them is amazing, and I know that the clinics only scratch the surface, as the real lessons are learned on the field.