Jump to content

DirtyDawg

Inactive
  • Posts

    546
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DirtyDawg

  1. So is herpes.....or so my science book told me!
  2. Sounds like we need a new emoticon for sarcasm!!
  3. Sounds like another fun day in Southeast Missouri!!
  4. Welcome, bud!!
  5. My weekend was: Saturday: 12 hours of Slow-Pitch softball (playing and umpiring) followed by a Miranda Lambert Concert Sunday: Me not being able to move from Saturday!!! I'm still a little sore today.
  6. Nice story!!
  7. I had a slow-pitch game this weekend in which the gentlman at bat decides he can't control his bat and after his swing decides to let it go in which the bat then procedes to come back and nail me right in the shints and then clips the catcher. I calmly let the play finish, call time, and inform the team in which the offender plays, "Alright, this is your warning for a thrown bat. They next offender will be ejected from the game (and quite possibly the rest of the tournament, though I doubt it since it was for charity). The team's captain comes unglued (in a controlled manner I guess you can say). He asks me, isn't that supposed to be just an out, Blue? I look at him and inform him there is no actual rule written in the rule book about thrown bats, and let him know that I've got myself and a catcher to protect here at the plate (slow-pitch = no gear). He understands, then "Game On."
  8. Warren is right about there needing to be a passion for the game to umpire. Coaching is similar, but instead of on the game the passion is more towards the kids and helping them advance. Welcome to the board, if you ever have a question don't be afraid to ask. Oh, and I'm drinking bud lite wheat over here!!
  9. I think it's pretty amazing, the butterflies that is. Not an umpiring story, but I've been playing slow-pitch softball since I was 16 y.o., and I still get nervouse everytime I have a first at bat in a game. It's amazing that you can do something for so long, and still not be 100% about your abilities.
  10. Yeah, but they are still no JC Penney!
  11. Glad to have you back. I can't wait to hear stories from you 4-man adventure. Good luck and great health be to you!
  12. Alright gentlemen, let's just calm down, have a beer, and remember that we are all brothers with a common bond, umpiring. Let's come together with respect for one another and just concentrate on the common goal we all have, coming together to learn and better ourselves as umpires. As for umpires with machine pitch, I have seen it. My area uses this (or at least used to when I played), and with this out there, the umpire is actually the person who feeds the ball into the catcher. I believe strikes are called at this level, too (especially the swinging strikes). Jb....I commend you for being a volunteer umpire at these games. I know that all the umpiring I've ever done was paid umpiring, and I know given the levels I did, I wouldn't have it any other way (especially with some of the coaches and fans I have had in the bleachers). As far as my stance on the game with parents as umpires, I have seen this, as well, in my past leagues. Typically in this situation, the umpire with a relation of any sort is the umpire in the field, thus leaving the calling of balls and strikes to no error. I ask this, do they use one fan as an umpire, or do they have a collaboration from each stand. I'm sure you've probably not had any problem with this, but it might help later on down the road to "even things out" in the minds of others. Gentlemen, I respect both of you greatly, and have enjoyed your stories over my time here at U-E.com. For this, I just want to say thanks!
  13. I just remembered a near miss I had during a slow-pitch game one time (keep in mind, absoletely no gear). There was a runner rounding third and headed home with a throw coming from right field to try and catch the runner at the plate. In my recognition of the play I tried to clear the bat and set myself up in time to catch the play at the plate. Short story even shorter I finally picked up the ball as it whizzed by inches from my left ear and wound up bounding out of play. That was a scary moment, too!
  14. That's a neat trick!
  15. I know if I owned one I would only use it for district games and above. Couldn't justify using it at the regular season games. Only when it really matters.
  16. Ooh....the forbidden fruit, yummy!!
  17. It's true, though. With the plate coat you have about the most professional appearance that one can get before the game. We all know first impressions typically set the mood for the rest of the evening.
  18. Good luck Maz......Missouri's going to be missing one of it's good umpires!!
  19. I know I really appreciate those games.....I just hate those games for the kids, because you know if one of them screwed up in the game, he is going to hear about it all the way home. I know I did when I played.
  20. I think you just needed to be louder.....ok, I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. I'm only kidding, don't go on me or anything!
  21. Just had to put off the inevitable, didn't you!
  22. Johnny Mac's was the only store that I've found that has good umpire gear. Of course it's not for guys my size, more like your norm sizes S-XL
  23. That's the hidden clause.....if they can't fit the W on it, it better not have anything else on it!
  24. What levels will you be calling?
×
×
  • Create New...