-
Posts
1,035 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
19
Everything posted by BLWizzRanger
-
I counted 7 coaches. Where the heck do you expect them to sit?
-
If only there was a site that these announcers could go to see and review these POEs or plays or critiques or rules. Plus, they should fine them somehow unless they come back the next game and review the call with the audience. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
-
Not necessarily my alma mater is the issue here. It's my kids' alma mater where they graduated from within the last 5-10 years. As long as the current regimes to the rival schools are in place, I wont get their games against each other. :shrug But, its not worth getting blackballed because someone has a hair up their ass thinking I threw a HS game. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk
-
At Face Value (Magnesium Masks & Other Things)
BLWizzRanger replied to MadMax's topic in Umpire Equipment
-
They would probably give them 2 or 3 years to implement just like the NCAA did for clocks. But, there would be a whole lot of spaghetti dinners and car washes to raise the money for the smaller schools around here.
-
Requiring pitchers to declare windup or set position prior to assuming pitching position. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Its mid season already and I see it almost every game. That means foot placement wasn't/isn't being enforced. I have tried and last night during a middle school game, I told both of team's coaches that the pitcher needed to change their foot position for the windup. I have told varsity coaches during scrimmages that their pitchers need to change their foot positions only to do the same team's game 4 weeks and 12 games (for them) later and nothing was changed. Its not being enforced and to tell the truth, it hasn't been an issue.
-
Since we are off on the tangent, at some time in a blowout, the game becomes the practice. For example, during a JV game that the offensive team was up 7 runs in the third inning, I asked the FBC a question rhetorically about the defensive teams catcher. The offensive wasn't necessarily running up the score, but, they were still running. But, the catcher wasn't throwing the ball to the base on a steal even though he could have. Why wouldn't you have the catcher making that throw on every opportunity? I understand it is situational in all higher level of play but this catcher (for both teams actually) could use the opportunity to make that throw in a real time situation. The infielders could learn to catch the errant ball or backup... just seemed like a missed opportunity to get better.
-
Help With Contact; Do You Know … ?
BLWizzRanger replied to MadMax's topic in Announcements & Milestones
PM Sent. -
High School - Gorilla arm Balk question
BLWizzRanger replied to Go Panthers's question in Ask the Umpire
The horrific part of this is that if he pitches and comes set the same way with the swinging arm for the rest of the season, you've got a better than average chance that it won't be called. -
Don't forget, sometimes the rain brings the fog in, so the only experience I have on this is that I had 50% visibility on the pitches from the A position and I called it. The 50% is of course slideable based on the inning and score... 😁
-
OHC asking for help at the end of the innning
BLWizzRanger replied to BLWizzRanger's topic in High School
Hey! Cut me some slack! I had mayhem to deal with. It actually wasn't too bad. I let the coach chew my ear for a minute and he went back into the dugout on his own accord and the regular parrots (parents who squawk) in the stands were their usual self. I already had them tuned out. -
NFHS but wouldn't mind other rule sets being answered. I was PU. Two outs in a middle inning. F6 throw pulls F3 off of the base. BU was straight-lined and didn't see the pulled foot; called BR out. Defensive team celebrates and runs off of the field (all defensive team members are in the dugout getting ready to bat - no infielder is between the lines). OHC (3BC) walks down (he didn't run) to the PU and asks for help. PU tells him to ask the BU for help. When BU comes for help, PU gives him what he's got and the call is overturned. General mayhem ensues. This is a ask for help by the OHC. I have this falling under 10.1.4. This isn't an appeal and I don't think having the infielders still on the field is applicable. This was getting the call right. What are your thoughts?
-
Smitty Pullover with Gray Shoulder question
BLWizzRanger replied to concertman1971's topic in Umpire Equipment
So... you are going to call these these 'richvees', right, for the hidden pocket on all product descriptions? He's the one who thought of them... -
Yeah, never a thought in my mind before the game to warm them up. This would be a good trick. Thanks! But, I was sort of hoping that I could go mask shopping for a good reason... you ruined it. Thanks! lol
-
I just wanted to give my testimonial to Team Wendy pads and how they are rock hard in lower temperatures. Last year, during the summer, I got hit dead square in the mask and didn't feel anything. Last week during a game with the temp in the upper 40s, I got hit square again and felt it in both of my cheekbones until after the game. Nothing broken and no bruising, but, it was the first time I felt it like that. Just wondering.... does that mean I need a cold weather mask with appropriate late winter/early spring pads?
-
Smitty Pullover with Gray Shoulder question
BLWizzRanger replied to concertman1971's topic in Umpire Equipment
I agree with ya... But, I guess I have a new thing to practice on how to get the sleeves into the secret pocket mid-game. Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk -
Integrated ball bag and plate brush!
-
If we can't get AI to draw a baseball field correctly, how the hell is it going to call balls and strikes? SMH. Yes, that is what disturbs me in this picture.
-
Don't let them fool ya.... the NHFS rule book defines them and uses them in their casebooks. I don't see them defined in the NCAA rule book, but, they are ubiquitous in all discussions on baseball. Learn them, embrace them, love them, you can't go wrong.
-
As long as @MadMax is blowing up our skirts (maybe we need a thread just for the Frankinstenian genius of @MadMax), I did try the G-Hook modification to my new shin guards and it works great.
-
-
FWIW, you know why you don't lie? Because you have to remember what story you told in making up the lie. I think of expanding my zone for younger ages to that of a baseball world lie. Its not directly using the plate and I've got to remember what zone I used on the other batters to be consistent. And, that makes me frustrated and apprehensive and think too much. Its not natural like the first time you lied to your mother - is she going to find out?. When, in fact, your mother (or coaches) know that you lied but let it go (sometimes they call you out on it though). But, I 'lie' (probably) at the HS age (giving one or two balls in and out), but, now, I am a habitual liar at that age group and feel much more comfortable in telling that lie. My lie is consistent and I don't feel frustrated or apprehensive. And yours will be too with telling the same lie in the next game. ahhhh, it's one way to look at it... YMMV.
-
Sponsored by Blue, the official UE standard sarcasm font color.
