ArchAngel72
Established Member-
Posts
1,828 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
11
Everything posted by ArchAngel72
-
Don't call what?
-
I generally accept "blue" I actually have what was/is an uncommon name but I hear it more and more in kids being called by the coaches "Hey Archangel choke up a little" and it is actually distracting because I look when the call my name the 1st time to figure out its not me they need its the kid behind the plate with the catchers gear or the batter or the pitcher. Makes me smile and cringe at the same time as I am mad I looked.
-
At the LL level we would "no pitch" tell them to reset and start over that is step off and then step back on and then go. There could be at tournament levels be an illegal pitch called however any ump doing so would probably be told "Don't do that" after the game. Even though it is in the manual.
-
Gear for sale... Masks, ball bags, harnesses, etc.
ArchAngel72 replied to wolfe_man's topic in Buy, Sell or Trade
just curious any pics of the adidas pads? -
Sit R3 no out RHP from set picks up back foot and while foot is over the PP ( in air over it) before it lands on the ground behind it throws to F5, runner dives back safe. OBR ? Fed ? Both I am wondering is this a balk as he has not completed the step off from plate movement and he did not step towards the base?
-
10U game Dist finals Losers bracket side Win or go home winner moves onto the Dist finals next morning at 10am. 545pm game, slobber knocker of a game VT goes up 7-1 in the 1st HT claws its way back by the 4th 7-7 both teams explode VT going back up 14 -12 HT ties it in the 6th However after 6 its really too dark to proceed next door field has lights and game there is done. Me being UIC of game ( 3 man crew) ask the TD if they want to move the game there and finish it under lights. Both teams and TD agree transplant the game to that field to resume at 7th inning,. Which we did and it went 9. No team scored in 7 or in 8, In 9 VT scored 1 then HT loaded the bases and got a walk off single that scored 2 that won the game. So curious could a team protest that? I suspect not, not unless they did not agree to keep playing. And wished to come back in the morning and finish.
-
Gear for sale... Masks, ball bags, harnesses, etc.
ArchAngel72 replied to wolfe_man's topic in Buy, Sell or Trade
-
I am asking based off OP not an answer I assumed a windup could step sideways or back with 1st move but not forward..
-
Now having jumped into a few other towns around my home base to help out do some round robin pool play stuff it was always the TD come running down from the booth after the game with a handful of cash for us umpires. I do honestly feel odd about that approach. Something about being paid like that after a game always makes me feel like I was doing some back alley deal. Its like this. wait for us as a crew to find the snack bar and pay us there. and also direct that action prior to the game start. Just looks better to me.
-
Excessive/Planned Celebrations...anybody call one yet this year?
ArchAngel72 replied to SeeingEyeDog's topic in Situations
Oh it was several of those kids slammed bats on the ground after striking out or hitting a sharp line drive at a player that was caught etc.. The guy next to me was the announcer and he did a heck of a job at it. He did admonish his own kid on the PA, His kid swing at one over his head striking out and took three steps and then let the bat slam to the ground, not horribly ferocious but enough you knew he meant it. His dad Mr P.A. had started into his announcing of the next batter but stopped and said "hey now do not slam that bat you are not allowed to slam those until you pay for them" There was quite a bit of chuckling from the parents in the stand on both sides. But yes to your point I could see it was the coaches that were probably the source of that stuff. -
Excessive/Planned Celebrations...anybody call one yet this year?
ArchAngel72 replied to SeeingEyeDog's topic in Situations
Saw something I thought was a bit over the top last night I was sitting at the scorers table in the second game just watching. So I was not on the field or there really in any official capacity other than to watch and stuff my face after my 92 degree 3 inning plate that was 15 run mercy ruled ( Thank you GOD) Any who 11U Dist Playoffs top off 3rd R1 2 out Batter hits a lazy flare that is in between 1st and the mound, the pitcher ranges off the mound towards it and fields it cleanly for an easy out. The BR had advance up the line to within probably 10 feet of where the pitcher was catching it. The BR seeing the pitcher caught it stopped and as the BR turns to head back the pitcher completely mean mugged him and flexed like a body builder at him. 2 times while hollaring yeah yeah!!!.. Now if I was the 1BU I would have addressed that lack of sportsmanship with his coach right then. It was very apparent that team had a lot of issues. Lots of slammed bats and other poor sportsmanship crap going on. But to me that was a disrespectful in your face (literally) poor display and it has no place in LL. anyway sorry vent off. -
Friendly Reminder: How You Park Sets the Tone
ArchAngel72 replied to NateWalter's topic in Free For All
-
Friendly Reminder: How You Park Sets the Tone
ArchAngel72 replied to NateWalter's topic in Free For All
I read the OP he was in his plate gear... Nah HE gets 4 plates... -
Friendly Reminder: How You Park Sets the Tone
ArchAngel72 replied to NateWalter's topic in Free For All
You should have made a call to local tow company and had his vehicle towed during the game -
Sneaky smart to me and I am pretty sure I have seen it would be a player knowing that its an awful pitch and is going to be in the dirt takes a whiff at it and is charging down the base path even before the catcher gets a chance to block it.
-
hmmmm.. I am having trouble with this as I do see at the LL levels kids clearly late swinging say after the ball has hit the catchers mitt. I mean thats at like 10u level and below.. Have not really seen that at the 12U level but interesting to see if a coach would push a kid to actually do this to try and earn an easy trip to 1st.
-
This was about them all coming onto the field of play during live ball play to congratulate a player who just scored. Now earlier in the game one of them hit a HR when that happened I allowed them to celebrate the HR. But after they fouled up and came onto the field during a outfield hit and caused an issue with 11 guys out of the dugout near home plate. Yeah I penalized them to remain in the dugout for the rest of the inning and a half of play. There is a time for fun but when you should all not be out there Dont be.
-
Whats the weakest HBP call you have ever made
ArchAngel72 replied to ArchAngel72's topic in Free For All
We LL umps have been directed to use the left arm to point them to 1st. -
After they stormed onto the field with the ball in play I wanted NO more possible crap show events to contend with. the other coach was pretty miffed when I did not call anything as the ball never touched anyone and stayed in view and easily reachable. So yeah I restrained the team to the dugout which is within my ability. they as a team messed up. they as a team learned to not do that again along with the coach.
-
I got the Oakley Flak 2.0's with prescription lenses that have the field prizm, love them they make things darker yes but also make colors pop and to me make things contrast better. to note my hat size is 7 1/8th to 7 1/4 I wear a Skully and an AS FM4KMAG and never have clearance issues at all
-
I Get LL coaches skirting the line all the time trying to park their butt out side the dugout. I will let them stand there in the opening just outside it But a bucket HELL NO.
-
LL school in Bristol was where I learned the moment of silence for the "Dead Ball" thing We were told over and over "TIME" "FOUL" never ever ever say "dead ball"
-
Ok now that I have seen the footage my best guess is he reacted to late as he thought the ball was going to break and he did start to tuck his arm at the last second in an attempt to keep his ribs from being hit. Yep good enough for me as he is in the box and that ball was in the box take 1st and move on.
-
So the way I read it LL PU gets asked about a ruling on a situation and the PU agreed to discuss it with the other BU that probably had a much better view of it. I do wish the BU had made the out of baseline call when it happened. But I am ok with them getting the call right. To me that is more important than the look of well the coach pushed them into that call. How many times have we heard from a dugout or behind the fence "Nice pitch" and called it a strike. Did we let the fans or dugout influence us in our call. I do not think so. But it may appear that way to some. Still no skin off my nose. Again to me getting it right is the most important thing
