MT73
Established Member-
Posts
356 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
2
Everything posted by MT73
-
This is a pretty standard test question: Bases loaded--no outs. Batter hits a pop up that umpires call an infield fly. Ball drops to ground, uncaught and all runner take off. Defense throws home, to third and then to 2B and and the bases are all stepped on before the runners arrived. ( Yes, I know, This team has extremely slow runners.) How many outs do we have?? The answer is one. Once the IFF rule is called the batter is out and the force is removed. If the ball is uncaught any and all runners must be tagged for an out.
-
Sounds like a bad throw to me. Did the runner intentionally interfere? Was he doing anything other than running to 1B in the runners lane? Play on.
-
Yes. And in OBR the same now applies if the B/R beats the throw to first base but misses the bag.
-
A batter can never be called out for being struck with a deflected batted ball ( unless intentional) but he can be called for interference if he interferes with a fielder attempting to field a deflected batted ball.
-
A checked swing appeal has nothing to do with a violation of the rules therefore, by definition, it is not an appeal. Perhaps one day it will be termed what it is-- a request.
-
Right handed pitcher in the set. In one motion he steps backwards off the rubber and, in the same motion--and without any foot motion towards 1B-- he throws to first base for a pickoff.
-
I have seen this in the younger divisions. They step back and throw to first---not hard to do in a 50/70 game. Is it legal?
-
I guess I was not clear in my OP. There was never a windup and that has no bearing on my question. F1 is in the set position. Rather than stepping off and then throwing to 1B he steps off the rubber and throws simotaniously. Does this simotanious step now make F1 a fielder who no longer has to gain distance and direction in his move to 1rst or 3rd (OBR)
-
Pitcher in set position and in one motion steps back from the rubber and throws to first. Did not step to first. Does the step off relieve him of the need to gain distance and direction? Balk?
-
A smart fielder would first tag R1 and then step on the base before the B/R gets there. 2 outs. Do the reverse and the B/R is out but R1 is safe if he remained on the bag or dived back after the force.
-
A checked swing "appeal" is not an appeal. Check the definition of what an appeal actually is and how it can be executed. It only involves missing a base or improperly tagging up--or BOO
-
Not really. At first base if F3 eventually holds the ball before the B/R hits the bag it is an out Even if jiggled once F2 holds the ball before it hits the ground it is just a strike out. Which means it does not mater if the B/R is 30 feet past 1B since he is out since it is a fought 3rd strike. Sorry to be redundant--I see Stk--004 said the same thing.
-
The PU had no business ruling it a trap--after the BU made his call that is-- unless the BU asked for help. And if this did happen then the BU should have changed his call. Even so if I had been the PU I would have stuck with the original call.
-
In real baseball , such as travel or tournament,I agree. In recreational everyone is learning and I have yet to hear a complaint.
-
I once had the bases on a 13U CYO game and the coach wanted to appeal that R2 missed 3rd. I told him to make an appeal. He then said that he did not know how to do that so I told him to wait until the PU made the ball live and have his pitcher throw to 3rd. He did and I called the runner safe. The coach stared at me dumbfounded and said. "After all that you call him safe?" I replied yes but to look at the bright side--you now know how to make an appeal.
-
If you were in the right spot and saw the tag then how could you have blown it? Never let the crowd or a coach make you doubt yourself but if you feel that you were blocked out and the manager asks you to go for help then it is up to you if that is what you want to do. However, your partner should have been at cutout near 3B so it is unlikely that he would have had a better angle.
-
Except that in interference runners keep the base they had at time of violation. Does this change anything?
-
I think a lot depends upon the timing of the play' If it was bang-bang I would call him out. If there was any type of delay in the runner being forced off the base I would call time and place him back on the bag.
-
That was my question. 2 outs. Ground ball to short. For some reason F 6 throws home but run scores. R3 then interferes with F2 before B/R reaches first base. PU calls interference--does this now negate the run?
-
Ok so--in the play where R3 crashed into F2.. If it had been two outs who would have been called out--R3 or the B/R? And if the B/R was out would the run have scored?
-
In OBR the bat cannot hit the ball twice in fair territory. This has nothing to do with a bunt but the fact that batters used to bunt the pitched ball in the air and then re hit it for power. That is no longer done but now we have the old, "Did the bat hit the ball or did the ball hit the bat?" question to deal with. (Sort of like which came first, the chicken or the egg??)
