-
Posts
361 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
4
Everything posted by Forest Ump
-
Interesting. I tend to answer no...unless I'm 100% This is how it was taught to me at the college clinics I have attended. It was actually a point hammered on at one clinic to always answer "Yes" when asked. The logic was that you open yourself up to discussion if you say "No" or go into any detail. Batter: Is that the top? Umpire: No. Batter: How much more? or Batter: Is that the top? Umpire: Yes. End of discussion. The bottom line was to give a simple answer and never go into any kind of detail.
-
Anytime I get that question, "Is that the (insert top bottom in out)? My answer is always yes.
-
Picked up a pair of NB 460's size 10.5 2E on Amazon for $78 plus tax using code 15FASTFEET. They had the same pricing around Christmas time but jacked it up when they started seeing demand.
-
I know a guy who started umpiring 4 years ago. He's now working D2. Don't let anyone tell you how long it will take to feel comfortable officiating. Work hard and be confident in your ability.
-
That's one of the things I learned from this test. Interference by a runner has to be intentional to get two, interference by a batter-runner does not have to be intentional to get two.
-
Just hit submit. Got a 98. Hiller says you have to take it twice if you don't get 100% the first time. Starting number 2.
-
Yes, that one added this; Following the ejection, the coach refuses to leave the field in a timely manner, even after a warning from the plate umpire. Which of the statements are true regarding the penalties for the coach's actions? I have that as: He is ejected and must serve an additional two game suspension for the prolonged arguing. I think the head coach gets reduced suspension rules due to his status as head coach. The answers given are: A: He is ejected and must serve an additional three-game suspension, one for spiking his hat and two for prolonged arguing. B: He is ejected for that game and must serve an additional four game suspension, two for spiking his hat and two for prolonged arguing. C: He is ejected and must serve an additional two game suspension for the prolonged arguing. D: Because of the head coach's unique role as his team's primary spokesperson, the ejection is his only penalty. It's not A because we have already determined it a no suspension penalty. Definitely not B. So that leaves C or D. I'm leaning towards C because there has to be some additional penalty after having been warned. Here's the whole question: The visiting team's head coach comes out of the dugout to argue an interference call on his hitter. After shouting at the plate umpire for several seconds and gesturing toward the plate, he takes off his hat and spikes it to the ground. The plate umpire ejects the head coach for his actions. Following the ejection, the coach refuses to leave the field in a timely manner, even after a warning from the plate umpire. Which of the statements are true regarding the penalties for the coach's actions?
-
Yes, that one added this; Following the ejection, the coach refuses to leave the field in a timely manner, even after a warning from the plate umpire. Which of the statements are true regarding the penalties for the coach's actions? I have that as: He is ejected and must serve an additional two game suspension for the prolonged arguing.
-
The visiting team's head coach comes out of the dugout to argue an interference call on his hitter. After shouting at the plate umpire for several seconds and gesturing toward the plate, he takes off his hat and spikes it to the ground. The plate umpire ejects the head coach for his actions. Which of the following statements is true regarding the penalties for the coach's actions? A. The ejection is the only applicable penalty. B. The umpire can use his judgment to determine the most appropriate penalty. C. By spiking his hat to the ground, the coach committed an extreme unsportsmanlike act and will be penalized by a two game suspension in addition to that game's ejection. D. By spiking his hat to the ground, the coach committed an extreme unsportsmanlike act and will be penalized by an additional one game suspension in addition to that game's ejection. I'm capitulating between A and D. On one hand, I feel D is in line with the rule book section 15 regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by a head coach. On the other hand, I don't think spiking his hat deserves a one game suspension. Answer A comes from the Misconduct Penalty Chart on page 26. It states that a Head Coach is ejected from the present contest, no suspension for unsportsmanlike conduct. Game Misconduct SECTION 15. a. Unsportsmanlike-Conduct Rule. No coach, player or team shall at any time, whether from the bench, the coaches’ box or on the playing field, or elsewhere: 1) Incite or attempt to incite, by word, sign or actions that dispute an umpire’s decision and potentially incites a demonstration by spectators; PENALTY for (1), (2), (3)—The offender shall be ejected from the contest. After an ejection, an additional one-game suspension is added.
-
Just a minute 20 for me.
-
I know that guy.
-
I use the Ebags Motherlode as my gear bag. The only cloths I put in it are my undergarments. Those go in that front zippered compartment. When I'm working games where a dressing room is provided, I use a garment bag. Cloths always look great. They are easy to put into the garment bag. Plus it's very easy to hang the garment bag up in the dressing room. No fuss no muss. Otherwise when I'm using the parking lot dressing room, I hang my cloths on a rod in the back seat of my Durango. Let me add that I am not the guy that brings every shirt I own to every game. Four shirts max , black and powder, and two pants are the most I ever take. Plus two Majestic convertible jackets if the weather starts to cool. California cool.
-
It was a good deal this morning. They had 10.5 4E for $75. This evening they have gone up to $97.
-
Amazon has the New Balance Plate shoes for $87. You can get an additional 20% off of that with the promo code 20OFFSHOE. That brings the cost down to $75. I'm sure it applies to the other umpire shoes.http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Baseball-Umpire-Behind/dp/B006DW88HQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418312584&sr=8-1&keywords=umpire+shoes
-
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.†......George Carlin.....
-
This is the second time that I have heard about this method. Last week was the first when a D1 World Series umpire explained it as a better way to see the low outside pitch. As explained and demonstrated, it was just a slight lean out from your normal stance to transfer the weight to the balls of your feet. It gave you a bit more peripheral vision to see the low outside pitch. I'm going to give it a shot today.
-
Can the offense appeal BOO? The way this game is starting.....Just be thankful you got one more out closer to the suds
-
That's a great price for a three day clinic and from Wendelstedt no less. You should go.
-
Scheduled to work two 9's today. Both games turned into 7's. Best thing that could have happened. Plus I still get the 9 inning fee for both.
-
Have you ever told a player/coach you blew a call?
Forest Ump replied to heyoh's topic in Free For All
If it's a pitch, I might say "That was close. Might even be a strike next time". I had a possible obstruction call that I may have missed. The HC came out to argue with me. I told him, "Bob, I'm not saying your wrong, but this is what I got. I'll work harder out here". As others have pointed out, use this very sparingly. Anything you tell a player instantly becomes rat mail and gets broadcast to the whole damn dugout. -
This is from a high A playoff game Salem VA vs Myrtle Beach
Forest Ump replied to th3's topic in Ejections
I think the umpires handled this situation great. They remain calm when everything goes nuclear around them. Lot to be said about that. I disagree with the comment that they must have got it wrong for the coaches to argue so vehemently. That's what these coaches do. They go from zero to crazy in a split second on calls they disagree with. I worked independent ball this summer and I had a coach go off on me similar to this one on a fair/foul call. After I ejected him, he flipped his hat around backward and started bumping me. My partner jumped in and got bumped also. It's a crazy thing to have coaches go off on you like they do in this video. You won't experience anything like it in college or HS. As for the call in this video, check out the players in the bullpen. They seem to think it a home run. -
My favorite so far.
-
My inner smart ass would have kicked in. After he does that, I would have yelled over to the defensive head coach and asked him, "Did he tag him?
-
Wow, that was entertaining. It took about five pages and one ejection ( a good one no doubt) to get to the bottom line of the OP. MidAm Ump and Big Ump nailed it. Some credit to a few others that also mentioned it. ALWAYS MAKE A CALL. You will look pathetic if you don't. Some food for thought on positioning. I get to the position I can based on the play and the speed. Sometimes I go 90, sometimes I'm only a few steps in. What I learned a couple of years ago was to read throw but to also read the fielder(F3). He going to give you that extra info you will need to make an adjustment. Don't be a statue, make an adjustment and sell the call. Your credibility will increase immensely by doing so and they may not even ask you to get help when they see you working hard.
-
LLWS - Batter out for illegal action
Forest Ump replied to grayhawk's topic in Youth Recreation Ball
How bout that double call on the foul ball. Plate guy calls foul, U1 points fair.
