pnewton
Established Member-
Posts
270 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by pnewton
-
I agree that I don't like to change mechanics so I am asking how is BU supposed to rule on fair/foul with nothing to go on without a line to go by? PU at least can make a line in his vision using the plate and first base to get a sense of what is fair and foul. For summer ball in my area this is a common issue (no line on the field) and we always have PU take that line.
-
There is a reason to not get the same umpire - he already has a game scheduled somewhere else at the time that you are finishing your game
- 11 replies
-
- suspended game
- rule
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Personally I like the rule change. I called it at least 4 times this year already.
-
The standard in my area is for the base umpire to take the B-R into third always. I like this system better for the same reasons greyhawk mentioned above. Even when there is a mobility issue with the base umpire isn't it still easier for him to take the B-R to third rather than having to rotate all the way home?
-
The best online baseball rule quiz I've seen. I love all the people that think they know the rules then only get one of these right
-
Might have something to do with the fact that the referee comes on the PA and explains the penalties where as baseball fans are forced to get incomplete or wrong interps from the TV commentators.
-
I say think of it like a "don't do that rule" - you know the ones that are rules but don't have any penalty for violating it. Yes the umpires should verbalize, but there is nothing that can be done about it if they don't. Umpires can't just say that the rule doesn't apply, because all of the criteria are met. If they try to "fix it" it is open to protest. Offensive team is just SOL as they are expected to know the situation.
-
I have heard the same about the time that the books were printed, making it legal for this year but will be illegal next year. That being said, the Babe Ruth leagues I work decided they wanted it illegal now.
-
If I am seeing the event correctly in my head I have it as a dead ball and a strike. Batter was hit by a pitch that he swung at. Despite the old playground rules the hands are not actually part of the bat so there is no way this is a fair ball, it could be foul if you believe that it hit the bat and then the knuckles.
-
Agree that R1 is safe because force has been removed. Follow up question - does LL really not have an infield fly rule?
-
Why wouldn't the next guy just take over in turn? The rumbling is that no one is willing to take on all of that assigning when he steps down.
-
13yo AAU game - R1, R2, 1 Out. I am on bases, my partner signals IFF situation, I signal back, everyone on the same page! First pitch to next batter makes it to the backstop and runners advance. Second pitch is popped up near 3B for what should be a routine play by F5. Suddenly I hear my partner "Infield Fly, Batter's out!". The ball was not caught but thankfully landed and stayed foul (ignore that the verbal should have said "If fair"). We had to summon the batter back from the first base dugout because he ran there when he was called out, I will say he had to have hustled pretty hard to get off the field that quick. My question is how should we have handled this if the ball had been fair?
-
Retaining isn't an issue where I live/work but I think it's because my association covers everything. The association assignor covers all the sub-varsity HS for 6 conferences in our corner of the state, Babe Ruth ball for several leagues as well as assigning for AAU season and tournaments. Guys come on the board, get to meet one guy that can give them 100 total games from April until August and can make it seem like they are moving up from Babe Ruth games to 9th grade to JVs at a reasonable rate. Then he gives recommendations to the guys that assign the Varsity level and Legion ball in the summer. This isn't a perfect system because when he gives it up we are going to have mass panic about who to get games from but it seems to work.
-
Today I learned to point a batter to first base with your right hand on ball four and make it look as much like your strike mechanic as possible!
-
There is a hat and a shirt (it's the light blue with black trim) but they only need to be worn for the playoffs. I have the contact info for the rep from Gerry Davis that sells this stuff, if you want his info send me a message. It is possible that you need to go to one of the New England AAU umpire clinics to be "on the list" to get this stuff as you now need to take one of the clinics to be able to work the playoffs.
-
As I said, this is the first year we've done 1-man on MS. SO the usual fee was 56 per man, now it's 84. Each team plays 12 games, 6 at home. So they save themselves less than $200 a year. More for the teachers pensions, I guess Don't give me the teacher pension B.S. I pay a higher % of my check into Mass. teacher's retirement system then you pay into Social Sec.
-
All HS games are assigned as two man (might get the occasional 1 man Fresh game but that's abnormal) $77 per man for Varsity, $55 per for Fresh/JV. Spring league "in-town" Babe Ruth is now all one man for $75, Summer league and tournament Babe Ruth are two man at $55 per. AAUs are 2-man @ $60 each for 13U and up, $50 each for 11U and 12U. One man $60 for 9U or 10U. <These are always double headers> Legion has been $65 each for two man. I don't work a lot of spring Babe Ruth so I don't work much one man but I will do 15-20 per year, the baseball tends to be pretty bad and the coaches are just volunteer dads that don't complain too much because at least they realize they don't know what they are talking about. I don't really mind those games as solos because I don't have much trouble. In the rare event of a no show partner in a competitive 16U AAU double header it can be a real pain in the backside so I understand both sides of the one man argument. I think the caliber of the game including player ability and coach/player knowledge contribute to the real need of the second guy. In the leagues where the expectations are fairly low one umpire is fine, where they are higher you really do need a partner.
-
This is from OBR 2.00 Infield Fly: "If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly." So if I read you correctly it sounds like it should be IFF batter out.
-
We almost never do doubles for HS. Games usually start at 3:30 or 4:00, most fields don't have lights so it's dark before a second game could possibly end.
-
Be thankful that you weren't working this game (unless you were working this game, then... sorry?). I am not familiar with FED rules but according to article it was called due to darkness because the 5 inning minimum had not been reached, does this mean the game is technically suspended or might they actually re-start this game? I would think that they let the result stand and/or the team losing simply forfeits. http://deadspin.com/this-is-how-a-baseball-game-ends-65-0-after-three-innin-475989234
-
My advice is to pre-game this every single time. I believe the base guy should make the call as he sees it and the plate guy can give a subtle "I saw that different" signal when the coach comes out to argue so you already know what your partner has to say. I don't like going to the plate guy before a call gets made because you can really be putting him on the spot if he didn't hustle, didn't get a good look, was looking at third, anything that might prevent him from knowing what happened.
-
I am still in shock that something like this could happen in my home city. I am incredibly lucky that I was not there, all of my family and friends are safe. All of my thoughts are with the victims and their families. I feel the need to echo what many others have said in expressing gratitude to the HEROES in the Boston Police, Fire and EMS departments as well as volunteer doctors and nurses that immediately and selflessly jumped in to help those that were hurt. As tragic as it is to have three deaths it could have been much worse. I will forever be a proud Bostonian!
-
I agree with noumpere. I also wear glasses on the field and it took me the better part of a full season to be able to get the mask off and keep the glasses secure but now have not had a problem in years. It's just practice.
-
I got a mass email this morning from Rob Healey reminding everyone on the New England AAU Arbiter account of the rules for this year which states "We are playing MLB Playing rules with the NEAAU additions". I don't know if we are the only state that uses OBR rather than FED for HS but it is true that we don't use FED. Actually other than from this site I wouldn't know FED exists.
