Jump to content

pnewton

Established Member
  • Posts

    270
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by pnewton

  1. Dixie Youth reverts to OBR (Official Baseball Rules) if not specifically addressed in the Dixie book. Batter INT for Dixie is by OBRs definition which can be found under 6.06 ©: A batter is out when - he interferes with the catcher's fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter's box OR making any other movement that hinders the catcher's play at home base. You can also note the comment regarding backswing INT (for when batter 'swings too hard') which does not call the batter out but merely sends the runners back. It is umpire judgement on whether or not the batter moved in a way that hindered the catcher. If the batter stays still, then there would be no issue at all. It's pure judgement and the way you describe it sounds like a reasonable batter INT. Edit to add: you say Dixie boys? As in 13-14 year olds? That ruleset would be by NFHS (High School) if not addresed in the Dixie rule book. Same outcome applies to this situation - the backswing INT does not get a special case (it's still considered normal batter INT under HS rules) HS batter INT rule is 7-3-5 But is it not only interference if he is out of the box? He still possesses the box by having his right foot in there? It says he has to be out of the box. If he has one foot completely out of the box and hits the ball he may be called out for being out of the box. In other words having one foot in the box does not make you in the box. If a batter swings and misses, loses his balance and steps one foot across the plate when the catcher is throwing down to second, the batter is still liable to be called out for interference even if the other foot is still in the box. I believe you are incorrect that keeping one foot in the box is going to protect your batter in this case.
  2. Interesting point for discussion. Assuming that in the process of moving his left foot out of the box he moved into the catcher's throwing lane I think I have interference here. I am going to call this stepping out of the box same as I would if a batter moved one foot out across the plate on a throw to second.
  3. Be aware that the catcher's interference isn't a coach option if the batter reaches and everyone moved up at least one (which is what would have happened) then you ignore the interference. The option is to decline the INT and have the batter be out in favor of runners advancing. We all have partners that kick rotations and things from time to time (some of us have been that partner too, if we're willing to admit it). Nothing you can do about the play at 3rd but try to teach in your post game. I just don't think this is a play that most guys would ever think to discuss in pre-game.
  4. This can not be a train wreck because it is not a situation where both players are doing something they are allowed to do by rule. Now without being there I can't say whether it is interference or obstruction. If in umpire's judgement the second baseman had the play on the popup the shortstop is guilty of obstruction. If in the umpire's judgement the shortstop had the play on the popup then it is interference. Remember that you as umpire must decide which one player to protect as they make the play (it may change as the play develops). In low level ball as you mention I usually protect whoever yells "I got it" - otherwise I protect the closest player.
  5. Snow just melted off the fields here in Massachusetts. Some schools got games in the week, most will really start next week.
  6. pnewton

    Incorrect Box

    Really hard to tell from this video if the front foot was really 100% out of the box - either way I don't think it's a smart move to call an out here given the field conditions and to make it worse the umpire just kept digging in that discussion with the coach/manager.
  7. Guest - I understand the frustration you are currently sensing, and I know that this response is still no going to make you happy but please read and think anyway. If that runner from first is not forced of first by the batter attempting to reach first then why doesn't the runner need to be tagged at second for a traditional double play? Say a ground ball to shortstop who flips to second baseman covering the bag. At this time it would be exceedingly rare for the batter-runner to have already reached first but this is still a force play. That runner from first is forced to second as soon as the ball can legally be ruled a fair ball and has touched the ground. I know I am not citing a rule, I am simply appealing to your baseball sense.
  8. Do you know where I can find the official rule? You won't find anything that says these conferences are allowed because the rules are basically a list of things you can't do rather than what you can. This would be one of a long list of things that are legal because they aren't listed as illegal. Good luck convincing the calling umpire of this fact.
  9. Make the call first, then let partner inform that he has something (subtle signal from pregame) or if coach asks that you get help and you feel that it is appropriate. I used to be an "ask first guy" in the interest in getting calls right but then I had an issue where as BU I asked my partner about a pulled foot at first and he had not gone up the line, or even watched the play, and it was obvious that he wasn't in any position to add help. Now no matter what we went with the opposing team knows that we are making it up, and I know I have an argument coming. The obvious response is to pregame this, and that is correct but people aren't perfect and it's always possible that PU has a brain fart and isn't looking. As a BU if I have to change my call because my partner can offer info that I don't have at least I have a leg to stand on. Coaches won't always be happy it stills seems easier to explain and diffuse after a changed call than one that they know was a guess.
  10. More like a century ago... According to the Boston Public Library website this photo was taken during a Red Sox vs Tigers game in 1910. This is the Huntington Avenue Grounds, the Sox home before Fenway. http://www.bpl.org/exhibitions/past-exhibitions/boston-sports-temples/view-the-exhibition/huntington-avenue-grounds/
  11. You may work at a lot of fields that have fences all the way around but most of the ones I work on have "imaginary lines" that determine out of play. I can't ask my partner to judge if an over throw goes out of play from the middle of the infield so I need to be in first base side to help with that. I also like to be on that side to help with everything others have mentioned such as pulled foot. If there is a subsequent play at third my partner should have time to get into the working area to make a call there.
  12. @Richvee - I am in Boston. Can't wait to see when the fields are playable. It's amazing to me how early the seasons start in other regions of the country - we are still in basketball season here.
  13. Exactly what MLB needs... longer games
  14. @Richvee - We were using and still are using the NCAA force play slide rule and collision rule. Yes, that means we had two rules that are in contradiction to each other this past season. There are no courtesy runners. Some of the other rules vary by league/conference, some allow re-entry and some don't, some allow DH for anyone and some only for the pitcher. One league I work in even plays 9 inning games with wooden bats because they want to stay as true to OBR as possible. The adoption of the NCAA FPSR and collision rules are recent from the state, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, until then it was straight OBR.
  15. We had the rule in place for HS season this year. (MA uses OBR in HS)
  16. pnewton

    Appeal Play

    An appeal is an allegation of illegal action by the offense. In OP there is no mention of illegal action at second base, so that appeal is denied.
  17. pnewton

    Balk Call

    The balk is ignored as long as the batter reaches (which happens on the single) and all runners advance at least one base (I have to think they do on a hit but it's possible they didn't). If those conditions are not met then the hit didn't happen, it was no pitch and the balk is enforced.
  18. pnewton

    Trick play

    I wouldn't call that balk - no rule reference to back it up but that's just my take
  19. 6.10(b)(10) - Once the game pitcher bats for the Designated Hitter, such move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for that club for the remainder of the game. The game pitcher may pinch-hit only for the Designated Hitter. Based on this wording I believe the defensive change would have to have been made in the top of the inning.
  20. I'd be interested in knowing how many legion posts that have teams there are in the Boston area. In St, Louis County we have 1 million people and only 8 legion posts that have teams. That would seem to indicate that the teams would be loaded, but it's the exact opposite. The legion program is practically dead and so players are playing on select teams instead. So the only players left for legion ball are those that are just rec league players. We have a lot. I work in two "zones" one has 14 teams and the other has 16. That's in the suburbs south and southwest of the city. For the fun of it I just looked it up and there are 105 in Massachusetts
  21. Here in the Boston area Legion is pretty good, it would be rare to have a kid playing legion who didn't also play for his HS's varsity team. There are more HS than legion posts so actually it can be less watered down. I like wood bat because the game moves faster, they are harder to hit with.
  22. Where I am Legion and Varsity are pretty equal and would be the best (Varsity does pay better) followed by 18U travel, JV, Jr Legion, 16U, and then any adult rec league.
  23. Based on what criteria - Best played game or best game to work?
  24. You have to make a call at the time. There is always a chance your partner didn't see anything and now from the outside you might look like you're just making up the call and your partner might feel like you are throwing him under the bus. If you think you might have missed something and someone asks you can ask if your partner has something that you didn't (you want to be specific about this sort of thing).
  25. I only know OBR so if this is different in FED someone else will have to tell us. Your situation is legal because the throw went to the base, which is what the rules say must happen (step and throw to a base, it doesn't say fielder at a base). Take a look at 8.05c. Remember that there is no difference now between 1st and 3rd, if it's legal at one of those bases it's legal at the other and vice versa. I know this isn't the case in FED. I would agree that if you see a deliberate pause between the step to the base and the throw that you probably have a balk.
×
×
  • Create New...