Calling a fair game and keeping control of the game are my adgenda items... I want to keep everyone in until they earn a early exit... and it is not cut and dry, I may not just run a young pitcher without first trying something to keep him in... but the OP made it clear that he had to go... that is why his coach took care of it. He was getting dumped and rightfully so from what was in the OP. Funny thing is I do not have to run many due to fact that they know better... if you let them walk on you they will... if you dont they wont.
Just my take on this... 15 year old pitcher asking for time then questioning my call on balls or strikes... I would run him without warning. If the coach beat me to it... oh well move on.
Brian... sorry. You are right about having opinions. And you are right I do have my opinions and observations / not sure about the price of joe at Starbucks...
So you work High School ball... and have opinions on guys that have worked thousands of MLB games not to mention all the A - AA - AAA games they worked. Come on!
I would use the logic that if the pitcher was to step off... where would R1 be? If the batter was to ask for time... would I grant it and again where would R1be? Sounds like he would be at second base so he is now R2... strange situation.
I would take this as the BU / plate guy has to move to get a good look and the angle can make things look different than they are. As the base umpire you should be looking right at the play.
Okay I will take the bait... this is not interferance the way it reads in your post... but it could be depending on the action of the batter-runner. Sorry do not have a rule number to give you / fire away and tell me how wrong I am.
Not sure where to post this... so I thought I would put it here.
December 18 and 19 of this year three MLB umpires are comming to our little city to visit and put on a clinic. Dana DeMuth, Doug Eddings and Hunter W.... they all worked as a crew most of the past season along with AAA fill in Brian Knight.
Anyone is welcome to come to this unique clinic.
The guys are not charging a fee so I am only charging $75 for the 2 days to pay for the hotel and air.
Let me know if you want to attend.
jknight@helenamotors.com
For me... I try to be aware of everything the pitcher does / but I do focus on the common areas of "no stop", "step", "bent Knee" and whatever else might happen depending on the pitchers delivery style... like the others "see it call it"
I would have to see it... but from the posts so far.... I say no balk. Now if he made that rotation move to second and went home.... Balk / if he goes to second I have nothing. Real hard to balk if throwing to second base....